• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheapest wireless USB

op299

Hi!

I might be slow, but what is the cheapest way to wirelessly transmit my computers USB signal to a dac? Or via ethernet, since I could place a router near the dac?

I know there are dedicated audio products like Zen Stream och Project stream box, but there must be cheaper/simpler ways?

The goal is to stream DSD from computer

best regards

Last edited:
OP
O

op299

About 10 meter, semi-different rooms though

staticV3

Master Contributor
what is the cheapest way to wirelessly transmit my computers USB signal to a dac?
This probably:
Screenshot_20230922-131656_Chrome.png

You will need a DAC with Toslink or Coax input.

OP
O

op299

But it seems that the cheapest option is ROCK PI S ? Should be able to stream from the stationary computer?

On a second note, is there any TV - box with usb out that also would be able to stream from computer?

I saw that Nvidia Shield TV Pro has USB out, but unsure if you can stream from different computer.

OP
O

op299

To clarify: I want to stream via USB (and send DSD files), not via toslink or spdif

OP
O

op299

If anyone has experience with Rock Pi S that would be interesting to hear as well.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@op299 It's possible to send both native DSD and DoP over your local network ("DoPE") using DLNA/UPnP. Here are some relevant links:

If you want to do that on the cheap, then you'll need some SBC running something like Volumino.

OP
O

op299

@op299 It's possible to send both native DSD and DoP over your local network using DLNA/UPnP. Here are some relevant links:

If you want to do that on the cheap, then you'll need some SBC running something like Volumino.
An SBC would be a Rasberry Pie like device, like the Rock Pi S?

staticV3

Master Contributor
It's irrational for sure.
OP could convert the DSD files to PCM 24/48 and stream those to the DAC and none of the DSD "magic" would be lost and it would sound exactly the same.

But as DSD via the network is possible (albeit more cumbersome to setup), OP can totally pursue this.

OP
O

op299

Confirmation bias/expectation bias, to be clear
Yes if DSD isn't better that solves the problem.

But I got the impression that the upsampling ability of HQplayer was appreciated on this forum as well? Is the consensus that Hqplayer is pointless?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
To stream DSD files. I find that DSD sounds better, is it considered placebo on this forum? (just curious)

DSD is bit of a can of worms.

Personally I don't think it does anything that makes it technically better. The fact that it has the word "direct" in the name does however make it easy to get the imagination going.

Bit depth and sample rate on the other hand... 24bit/192kHz is nice to have if you are doing editing or need the headroom for other things like DSP, but for normal audio playback 16bit/44.1kHz will be close enough to perfection to make anything else a moot point. The only exception I can think of is if you're using a DAC with a crummy reconstuction filter that needs the higher bitrates as a disability aid, but in that case you'd be much better off just selling that silly thing and getting a real DAC.

Top Bottom