• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheapest way to store/play music files

Fregly

I just got the excellent Topping Dx3 and was going to get a dedicated Laptop for music then figured there must be a much cheaper way to do this. I know nothing about DAPs and wonder if any and all would work fine. Are they all wifi capable for downloading? And what about transferring CDs. Older units could be had for a song I'm sure but I assume storage would not be great. A simple unobtrusive set up that doesn't take desk space with just a little unit sitting on the Topping would be great.

Headphonaholic

I have no experience with networked setups but I know there are threads around talking about them if you haven't checked those out.

DAPs would negate the need for the Topping potentially depending on how you are using it but would store the music. Many are running modified versions of Android and support wifi/bluetooth connectivity. If it does have Android Tidal and Spotify are often supported apps. Probably would want to also make sure it allows for sd cards to expand space (most do but just double check if you pursue a DAP).

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, the laptop can be several years old. It doesn't take a lot of CPU power or memory to playback music files. Get a big external portable drive. They are cheap and quiet.

OP
F

Fregly

Actually, the laptop can be several years old. It doesn't take a lot of CPU power or memory to playback music files. Get a big external portable drive. They are cheap and quiet.

Yes an older laptop makes sense. I bet I could land something for very little.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
If you want to include playback, library management, ripping and storage in one unit, a decent laptop is the cheapest way to do it.

Totally true and a bargain priced option- you can pick up a $30 2nd hand laptop that does everything, but I just can't get around the look of any laptop anywhere near my HiFi. I know it's silly but all these setups with an open laptop on top of a preamp or amp make me cringe.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Don't make it too complicated and please don't read/listen/believe the Computer Audiophile fringe crowd that would have you build a "music server" with i7 processor, Msoft Windows Server 2018, linear Power Supply, USB aseptiser and all the crap that flies in that kind of forum. Most any modern laptops are perfectly suitable for Media Files playback and with glorious results. eBay is your friend: You can find there $50 laptop that may serve you for years. that same $50 evice may be powerful enough to run Roon... Get one with Tidal and Roon ... Roon has a permanent license for $500 and for Tidal it is monthly, $20/month for a library of music that is for all purpose limitless (and lossless to boot!!0 is a bargain in my book ...
Happy New year to all!!

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Hi
that same $50 evice may be powerful enough to run Roon... Get one with Tidal and Roon ... Roon has a permanent license for $500 and for Tidal it is monthly, $20/month for a library of music that is for all purpose limitless (and lossless to boot!!0 is a bargain in my book ...
Happy New year to all!!

Better than cheap, I’m using a freebie PC computer which the office threw out, as a Roon bridge.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Totally true and a bargain priced option- you can pick up a $30 2nd hand laptop that does everything, but I just can't get around the look of any laptop anywhere near my HiFi. I know it's silly but all these setups with an open laptop on top of a preamp or amp make me cringe.
Would you call that an unsupportable bias or do you have another reason? It took me a while to reform my concept of what an audio component should look like.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Would you call that an unsupportable bias or do you have another reason? It took me a while to reform my concept of what an audio component should look like.

Think of the laptop screen as a glorified LCD screen that are usually found on the front panel of hifi boxes ;)

OP
F

Fregly

Where do I get a Laptop as cheap as $50? I did a quick search locally and did not see anything close. Is there an online vendor? I am in Canada.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The processing power required for ripping CDs, streaming and audio playback of downloads and ripped CDs is minor, meaning that you don't need much of a laptop. I use my MS Surface Pro tablet.

Markg0528

I am curious if anyone has experience with Plex as a media storage playback device? This program seems to solve the posters problem. I have been using it for movies but they have joined with tidal and have improved there playback. For movies it’s a game changer.

Dogen

Forum Donor
I am curious if anyone has experience with Plex as a media storage playback device? This program seems to solve the posters problem. I have been using it for movies but they have joined with tidal and have improved there playback. For movies it’s a game changer.

Last I looked, Plex didn’t offer gapless playback over a network. I’d love to hear that’s changed, but I can’t live with spaces between tracks, when they shouldn’t be there. I do use and like Plex for movies.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...It took me a while to reform my concept of what an audio component should look like...

I'm not really sure I really want to 'reform my concept'. I like the way quality gear looks, feels, performs and obviously, how it is constructed. Call it conditioning if you will. HiFi restoration, rebuilding, collecting, auditioning and testing is my passion and the good stuff comes in boxes I like the shape of. :)

Young people particularly, don't have the same attachment to 'stuff' that my father and I have, including the desire to make informed decisions on quality gear that will stand the test of time. You know, the old "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.". Hence my disdain for the endless caravan of little Chinese gypsy boxes passing across poor Amir's bench.

So the laptop is a tool to me, and not a very well designed one at that. Cheap (now) maybe, but we all know it will fail (batteries/HDD/OS/CCFL or LED inverter backlight etc) in a relatively short period of time. It obsoletes itself, and requires maintenance in terms of data migration, upgrades and general tweaking as time goes on.

The laptop is just not worthy to be hanging out with my HiFi gear, with its lightweight plastic keyboard and short-lived lithium-ion heart, let alone assuming pride of place on top of a 65 pound amplifier that has steadfastly served me for ~30 years without even a glitch. It has earned its place, along with many others.

But, in the spirit of having fun, here's one for you Kal:

for kal (Small).jpeg

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The laptop is just not worthy to be hanging out with my HiFi gear, with its lightweight plastic keyboard and short-lived lithium-ion heart, let alone assuming pride of place on top of a 65 pound amplifier that has steadfastly served me for ~30 years without even a glitch. It has earned its place, along with many others.
So what's your handsome alternative John? ;)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
'm not really sure I really want to 'reform my concept'. I like the way quality gear looks, feels, performs and obviously, how it is constructed. Call it conditioning if you will. HiFi restoration, rebuilding, collecting, auditioning and testing is my passion and the good stuff comes in boxes I like the shape of. :)
OK but the components that do the real heavy lifting for me (NAS boxes, fanless PCs, laptops) simply don't look like traditional components. Efforts to redecorate them seem an imposition on their current functionality.

Understood. I do not care much for using a laptop but, as an all-in-one computer/display/keyboard, it is a convenient fill-in as I often reconfigure devices for conducting a review. My main server is a plain/silent black box and my NAS boxes are in another room. The most imposing components on my rack are an Audio Research MP1, an Oppo UDP-205 and a AudioQuest Niagara 5000. Power amps are clustered around the front of the room with the speakers.

Sin Hizer

I'm not really sure I really want to 'reform my concept'. I like the way quality gear looks, feels, performs and obviously, how it is constructed. Call it conditioning if you will. HiFi restoration, rebuilding, collecting, auditioning and testing is my passion and the good stuff comes in boxes I like the shape of. :)

Young people particularly, don't have the same attachment to 'stuff' that my father and I have, including the desire to make informed decisions on quality gear that will stand the test of time. You know, the old "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.". Hence my disdain for the endless caravan of little Chinese gypsy boxes passing across poor Amir's bench.

So the laptop is a tool to me, and not a very well designed one at that. Cheap (now) maybe, but we all know it will fail (batteries/HDD/OS/CCFL or LED inverter backlight etc) in a relatively short period of time. It obsoletes itself, and requires maintenance in terms of data migration, upgrades and general tweaking as time goes on.

So besides a laptop what is is your answer to the OP’s question? Or do you indeed have an unworthy laptop on top of your amp anyways?

Top Bottom