• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap drivers in high end monitors / speakers

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The HPV virus is a great example of what is wrong with the USA. As though protecting against a sexually transmitted disease somehow would encourage sons and daughters to behave badly or differently than they might otherwise. I have known a couple of women who either died or had problems with cervical cancer. Who wouldn't take steps to avoid that especially such and easy step with no downside.

I think it comes down to selfishness. The irony is that the failure to get one could be a factor in your own death or that of a loved one. 30,000 lives a year saved if all teens get one.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not exactly. We have music mastering that is very compressed and just happens to be used on many CDs.

Has nothing to do with being inherent to CD only. Those masters are often used on Vinyl also.

If you spend some time on the pro sound forums, the guys that do the mastering laugh when they get told how great their vinyl master sounds. They laugh because it is the same 16/44.1 master they use for everything, they don’t do different vinyl masters.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you spend some time on the pro sound forums, the guys that do the mastering laugh when they get told how great their vinyl master sounds. They laugh because it is the same 16/44.1 master they use for everything, they don’t do different vinyl masters.

Really? Although I'm not a full-time professional by any means, I do some mastering for my own small record label, and take a few extra precautions when mastering for vinyl to ensure that the limitations of the medium are not exceeded. These typically involve:
  • high-pass filtering at 20 to 25Hz
  • mixing the low-bass to mono
  • ensuring that nothing is panned harder L or R than necessary, especially if it contains lower-frequency content
  • low-pass filtering at 18-20kHz
All of which are mostly about ensuring linear(er) operation of the stylus during playback.

Ofc, none of these measures tend to make the master sound any better :)

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really? Although I'm not a full-time professional by any means, I do some mastering for my own small record label, and take a few extra precautions when mastering for vinyl to ensure that the limitations of the medium are not exceeded. These typically involve:
  • high-pass filtering at 20 to 25Hz
  • mixing the low-bass to mono
  • ensuring that nothing is panned harder L or R than necessary, especially if it contains lower-frequency content
  • low-pass filtering at 18-20kHz
All of which are mostly about ensuring linear(er) operation of the stylus during playback.

Ofc, none of these measures tend to make the master sound any better :)
What is your record label?

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Continuing the off topic ... People want to believe there is a magic easy way to lose weight (rather ironically I am going through this now, my triglycerides were elevated, I have dropped 20 pounds, but need to lose another 15, and calorie deficiting 500-700 calories a day is hard).

Responding off-topic to the off-topic ... there is a magic way to lose weight - live at altitude. I spent the isolation period at 8400', and lost weight I really couldn't afford to (my wife says at the best of times I look like a famine victim). My appetite was reduced. Anecdotally my daughter said the same.

On a whim I checked the science, and it's solid. Reduced oxygen triggers hormone production (leptin principally, IIRC) that suppresses appetite. The classic experiment was a bunch of overweight people who were taken to live at altitude. All their favorite foods were available to them, and there were no demands for exercise or anything - do what you want, eat what you want. Over the months they voluntarily ate on average 731 fewer calories a day.

It seems as if the brain recognizes the oxygen deficit and rations consumption away from oxidizing food in favor of, you know, breathing.

sfdoddsy

Back on topic, the Revel F208 vs the F328Be is an interesting case.

The F208 uses very good but not especially expensive SB Acoustics drivers. The F328Be uses very good and very expensive SB Acoustics drivers and costs twice as much.

The measurements I've seen indicate there is very little difference.

beagleman

Major Contributor

The F208 uses very good but not especially expensive SB Acoustics drivers. The F328Be uses very good and very expensive SB Acoustics drivers and costs twice as much.

I see they are the SB 8" woofers, for the F208, and the mid, are the tweeters SB sourced also?

Last edited:

sfdoddsy

I see they are the SB 8" woofers, for the F208, but are the mid and tweeters SB sourced also?

The F208 uses the SB26ADC tweeter, the SB15NBAC mid and the SB23NBAC woofer.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The F208 uses the SB26ADC tweeter, the SB15NBAC mid and the SB23NBAC woofer.

Hasn't it been confirmed that they switched the Performa3 line drivers over to non-SB sourced lookalike drivers in 2017?

sfdoddsy

If you look at pics of the current models on the Revel site you can see the slits in the drivers. These are unique to SB Acoustics as far as I'm aware.

They may have gone for cheaper lookalikes I guess, but I'm not sure why.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Responding off-topic to the off-topic ... there is a magic way to lose weight - live at altitude. I spent the isolation period at 8400', and lost weight I really couldn't afford to (my wife says at the best of times I look like a famine victim). My appetite was reduced. Anecdotally my daughter said the same.

On a whim I checked the science, and it's solid. Reduced oxygen triggers hormone production (leptin principally, IIRC) that suppresses appetite. The classic experiment was a bunch of overweight people who were taken to live at altitude. All their favorite foods were available to them, and there were no demands for exercise or anything - do what you want, eat what you want. Over the months they voluntarily ate on average 731 fewer calories a day.

It seems as if the brain recognizes the oxygen deficit and rations consumption away from oxidizing food in favor of, you know, breathing.
Of course you could alternatively just go into a room where someone uses up all the oxygen. ;)

Beave

Major Contributor

Are you sure the Be series uses SB Acoustics drivers? I don't think they do.

Beave

Major Contributor

But over time the body will compensate for the lower oxygen levels, aka, acclimitization, and appetite will return mostly to normal.

Top Bottom