• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap DAC/HP AMP suggestion (~ 100 Eur)

x00r

(1st post, i am sorry if this is not the right category)

Dear members,

TL;DR: I am looking for an DAC/Headphone AMP combo for ideally less than 100 Euro... 150 Max. My HPs: Beyerdynamic Dt-990 Pro - 250 Ohm, Music style: EDM and i am looking for very pronounced bass + listening on high volumes.

I wanted to order the DX3 Pro after reading a bit here and there, but the best price i can get right now is about 200 Euro /w shipping. Are there any cheaper alternatives i might have missed?
I have also ordered one FX Audio DAC-X6 (60 Euro shipped) to drive the same headphones with my media player/TV... Is there some DAC/AMP in the < 100 - 150 Euro range with much better sound/power/connectivity/whatever?

Thank you!

OP
X

x00r

Hi Veri,

Thanks for the link. Price is ~ 110 Euro, shipping is ~ 30 Euro and customs is calculated directly by ebay (Einfuhrabgaben: US $39,07), so it totals at about 170 Euro. This is almost the price of DX3 Pro... In that case the Tipping seems to be a better value at about 200. Isn't it?

FireLion

(1st post, i am sorry if this is not the right category)

Dear members,

TL;DR: I am looking for an DAC/Headphone AMP combo for ideally less than 100 Euro... 150 Max. My HPs: Beyerdynamic Dt-990 Pro - 250 Ohm, Music style: EDM and i am looking for very pronounced bass + listening on high volumes.

I wanted to order the DX3 Pro after reading a bit here and there, but the best price i can get right now is about 200 Euro /w shipping. Are there any cheaper alternatives i might have missed?
I have also ordered one FX Audio DAC-X6 (60 Euro shipped) to drive the same headphones with my media player/TV... Is there some DAC/AMP in the < 100 - 150 Euro range with much better sound/power/connectivity/whatever?

Thank you!

Here is a few.

DAC-X6 isn't bad for $60-65. (high gain mode and opamp upgrade)1 watt +?
xDuoo TA-01B is also a neat little tube combo. 2.1 watt
DAC-X7 if your headphones are easy drive. 1 watt
This also interested me JIE CHUANG JC-AUDIO JC-SQ3 Bluetooth CSR8670 USB DAC AK4490 I think it's 1.5 watts (1.1 watt @ 32ohms)

For $150 I would buy this AMP and this DAC for shits and giggles, I know the DAC is decent as a guy where I work has one.

Last edited:

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Since you have a 250 Ohm headphone you might consider the Swissonic HAD-1 B-stock, not the greatest but have lots of input and outputs.

Last edited:

M00ndancer

Forum Donor

filo97s

the best at this price (under 100) maybe is the FX Audio DAC X6, which is one of the few in this range using the TPA6120A2, you'll benefit from it a lot with a DT990 pro.

Biblob

the best at this price (under 100) maybe is the FX Audio DAC X6, which is one of the few in this range using the TPA6120A2, you'll benefit from it a lot with a DT990 pro.
My guess it won't be all that good. The products Amir has measured, where not that good.

@x00r Why don't you look at the masterindex and check which ones you want in your budget? I suggest the Topping NX4DSD. It measures great and has lots of power. And as a bonus it is portable too :)

filo97s

My guess it won't be all that good. The products Amir has measured, where not that good.

@x00r Why don't you look at the masterindex and check which ones you want in your budget? I suggest the Topping NX4DSD. It measures great and has lots of power. And as a bonus it is portable too :)
at this price, you really have to make some compromises. For 60-70$, it offers more than it should, keeping in mind also other choices.

Biblob

The SMSL Idea is good too. Much cheaper but less power.

OP
X

x00r

Hi All,

So my DAC-X6 finally arrived... The perceived loudness was not enough, so i have switched the jumpers to high gain... But it is still not enough! I really start to think about switching the headphones to some with similar "V shaped" sound, butt much smaller impedance.

I am not ready to pay more than 200 Euro and now i know i definitly need more than 180 mW @ 300 Ohm (DAC-X6 if i am not mistaken).

OP
X

x00r

Does anybody know the JC-AUDIO JC-SQ3? Or the E600 which @FireLion suggested? The JC-SQ3 seems to meet all requirements on paper.

FireLion

Does anybody know the JC-AUDIO JC-SQ3? Or the E600 which @FireLion suggested? The JC-SQ3 seems to meet all requirements on paper.

Holy shitballs is all I have to say after putting two LM4562NA's in here.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33040446809.html

ncG5leA - Copy.jpg

OP
X

x00r

Thanks @FireLion, i will order one.

BUT, i have one more question for anyone who knows more than me here: Which OpAmp version to choose? Is it just listening preference? It is socketed, so i can swap it out anytime, no? The price difference is quite high.
Thanks!

FireLion

Interesting!! :D no interest in shipping it to amir for review =)?
Also, any particular reason for putting in LM4562NA?

Thanks.

I had some opamps here and my amp making friend thinks they are good, the JRC5532 were a little compressed on top, the well known NE5532 should be decent. I have other duals I can test but any of the renounded $4-10 dual opamps should be decent.

I am going to get a DAC, maybe a topping D10 and sell the Jotunheim. I am saying it's better no, as powerful yes but I personally like something I can tinker with.

Thanks @FireLion, i will order one.

BUT, i have one more question for anyone who knows more than me here: Which OpAmp version to choose? Is it just listening preference? It is socketed, so i can swap it out anytime, no? The price difference is quite high.
Thanks!

I would at least get the level 2 muse here, the JRC is average.

Last edited:

FireLion

Might have cheap components that could be improved?

I am going to get an aluminum knob as the plastic isn't cutting it but other than that it's a big aluminum tank.

1562792409177.png

Bob-23

NE5532A is fine (noise is lower in the A-version), according to the measurements of nwavguy the NJM4556 is even better, supposedly built especially for headphone-amps: https://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/07/o2-design-process.html. I use both of them in different amplifier- and equalizer-builds - no complaints, they are good and cheap. If you can hear any difference under controlled conditions, is another question...After having swapped the opamp, don't forget to always measure dc-offset at the output of the amp, shouldn't be higher than 20mV, lower is better ~5mV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom