• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CH Precision C1.2 DAC

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
According to the review at Stereophile and its technical descriptions in there it seems to be a rather extremely expensive way to implement a slow reconstruction filter. I'm sure my RME ADI2 PRO fs in NOS or slow filter mode wipes the floor with it ... or do I miss something?

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes -- you missed the fact that quality of sound is directly proportional to the amount of money you spend.

Well, at least that is a 'fact' in high-end audio sales...

Roland

According to the review at Stereophile and its technical descriptions in there it seems to be a rather extremely expensive way to implement a slow reconstruction filter. I'm sure my RME ADI2 PRO fs in NOS or slow filter mode wipes the floor with it ... or do I miss something?
Yes, you paid too much for a dac!

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Reading the whole measurement page, and part of the review, it seems to do ok as a dac. But it would be hard to defend it against a 200 dollar dac.

The listening part of the reviews gives an explanation on Stereophile's interpretation. Some things cannot be measured, otherwise cheap Chinese made dacs would rule the world, wouldn't they?

And the listening was done on a system costing many 10.000's of thousands ( maybe even a few 100.000's) of dollars. So what could go wrong? That's as reference as it could get apparently.

It's so silly. You're right. Your rme dac would destroy it. But imo it would probably win on eq or loudness features.

You have about the best dac on the market. But the reviewer of said magazine would never know as he is suffering from audiophilia nervosa.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I learned that a USB connection costs an extra 3k seems reasonable.
Keith

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It uses a vintage chip too doesn’t it a Burr Brown resistor ,total for the ensemble is $130k, I wish I had the chutzpah to convince customers that these were a must have.
Keith

Marc v E

Major Contributor
The FFT gives away that the SINAD is probably distortion limited at around 100 dB, so good not great.
But..but.but I'm clearly told in the review that this box offers something more, outside of measurements. For fairy dust, I think it's about the right price to make me believe.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What about Nagra, Weiss, Meitner, dCS, Bricasti? Yes, expensive, but as good like, for example Mola Mola?

Last edited:

Marc v E

Major Contributor
What about Nagra, Weiss, Meitner, dCS, Bricasti? Yes, expensive, but as good like, for example Mola Mola?

Stereophile has probably most measurements you're after.

Last edited:

SSS

Equipment for the rich people. But if these are older their hearing ability is decreased. So it is for the show.
I am not convinced that a so called "trained ear" of the sterophile magazin can hear what is better or not.
It is a subjective judgement and the sound may be slightly different but nobody can determine what is better since in this region it is matter of taste.

classay amplifier

Speaking for myself, I've missed an absolutely golden opportunity to make pointless electronics for rich fomo sufferers. Then again, perhaps my 15-year lack of practice won't matter to these people. As long as I do things differently.

Top Bottom