• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Centered volume knobs

Geert

Major Contributor
Cambridge Audio Edge A integrated amplifier. The volume knob is also the input selection!

Normally I'm a rational person, but I find this amp really attractive.
Cambridge_Audio_Edge_A_Tech_Specs_Front_Large.jpg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A thread about knobs in the center? So weird to fetishize a knob.

Kaiede

I still have one of these:
solid_state_am_fm_stereo_tuner_kt_2503860.jpg

I have a soft spot for both that amp and tuner. They belong to my parents though, so I’d have to chase one down if I want one for myself.

Cambridge Audio Edge A integrated amplifier. The volume knob is also the input selection!

I can’t stop thinking of that as a Mac Mini with a knob on the front.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Voici la correction d'enceinte par convolution pour les ELAC (sans correction de pièce).

Attachments

• ELAC_DBR-62.zip
    63.3 KB · Views: 91

Feanor

Forum Donor
I had to think about this for a minute... it's not an aesthetic I am generally crazy about.
Then I remembered one. :)

View attachment 87946
Unassailable aesthetics. (yeah, OK... de gustitbus non est disputandum)
Sounds good, too.

Wish I had one.

:)

h/k made a couple of runners up. The smaller/cheaper one (A401) was the aesthetic winner, IMO, but the big sibling's nice too... and I do have one of those (A402) :)

View attachment 87947

hkA402 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(oops, they're not quite centered, are they?)

I'll get back to all y'all on this anon...

:)
Oh yeah, those early Luxman tended to be gorgeous.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Please post your favorites. And away we go:

Yamaha RX-V6A / TSR-700

rx-v6a-capitolaudio.jpg
I just measured the RX-V6A. Will post tomorrow. For now, that is one terrible feeling volume control! Not that they are usually nice but this one is just horrible. In looks it mimics the great volume controls of 1970s and 1980s but not remotely in feel. The rest of the look is innovative though which I like.

SineWave

I just measured the RX-V6A. Will post tomorrow. For now, that is one terrible feeling volume control! Not that they are usually nice but this one is just horrible. In looks it mimics the great volume controls of 1970s and 1980s but not remotely in feel. The rest of the look is innovative though which I like.

I agree about the knob. Was just playing around with this last week and it felt weird. The front plate also looked too shiny. Like a shiny plastic (didn't try to see if it was metal or plastic). Looked cheap. Much prefer the brushed aluminum that's been around for decades.

OP
infinitesymphony

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
That's a bummer. Seems a lot of companies are moving to the super lightweight plastic knobs rather than something with a smooth, heavy taper. The weighted, motorized volume pot is another thing I like about the A-35R, but I s'pose the days of analog pots are numbered.

A-35R_ACX7038.png

OP
infinitesymphony

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Here's a less common vintage example, the Panasonic RA-6100. Asymmetrical. Brownish champagne? They were definitely doing their own thing, but the layout seems practical.

10546655212129hban.JPG

Emotiva BasX A-100

61J6teEe5oL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Luxman knew how to centre a knob:

1604273010112.png

Tuning knobs too:

1604273039365.png

So did Kenwood:

1604273087239.png

Wish Marantz did, I really love the aesthetic of their old gear. But I'll have to settle for a centred mid-volume knob unfortunately:

1604273572797.png

highender

This one is very nice indeed, but I don´t know how solid it feels.

The following AVI amp had a very fine and smooth feeling volume controller, and overall a very solid and compact design, but it´s not in the center thus in the spoiler.
reviews_choice_intamp1.jpg

I find this one also nice.

dia-250s_persp_black_grey_3.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The only Luxman piece here currently* is also, I'd opine, of the unassailable aesthetics school :) but the big central knob's not a volume control.

DSC_5978 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Top Bottom