• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CD player Analog Out vs Digital Out

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top, taken from the left channel output of the power amplifier after going through my digital chain (no EQ applied), and bottom, the Tascam CD-200 analog output, both into a Focusrite Clarette 4pre, channels 1 and 5.

1573169295876.png

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Aligned peaks...

Closer than I might have expected.

Red: CD Player Digital output -> switch -> DEQ2496 -> minDSP OpenDRC-DI -> Krell KCT preamp ->Krell FPB 350 mcx power amplifier -> speakers, measurement at the power amplifier output

Black: CD Player analog out -> measurement

1573170159341.png

Some difference may be due to resetting the reading while the tune was in progress.

Otherwise, close enough.

Either the CD player (except at ultrasonic frequencies) frequncy response is as good as the digital -> analog chain, or the digital -> analog chain here is as bad as the CD player analog outputs.

Take your pick.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You ignore the possibility the Clarrett makes everything the same.......
:)

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The digital chain seems to get closer to the CD's 22.05kHz cutoff than the analog chain, surviving the 44.1 to 48kHz ASRC at the miniDSP and the 48kHz to 211kHz ASRC inside the DAC. while the CD Player analog out tickles 24kHz with a bunch of junk above that.

The CD

1573171043549.png

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
DAC to Amplifier, top
CD analog out, bottom

1573195898605.png

sonci

I don't know about the graphs but, by my ears cd players are better than external dacs!

Wombat

Master Contributor
I don't know about the graphs but, by my ears cd players are better than external dacs!

Generalisation based on how many model samples compared to the multitude of CD player and DACs available over the past 36, or so, years.

Your comparisons were DBT?

Last edited:

sonci

There is no way they are, if DAC sections are competently designed for both...
The thing is that is easier to design a cd player, they are less prone to jitter, it's more complicated with external dacs, but as measurements show it seems a lot easier with modern dacs, seems like jitter is ok even for diy designs.
I haven't jumped yet in the wagon of modern dacs, I have too many cds and cd players, but I tried a Topping d30, a Nos Moodlab, and some diy, and they were not even close to my cd players.
but, of course this is all subjective and honestly even I don't believe to subjective reviews when I read them, but I certainly believe my ears..

Top Bottom