• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CARVER POWER KICKS!!!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you using a dB meter or just looking at those lights?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Are you using a dB meter or just looking at those lights?
Looking at the lights. The audio wouldn't be that clear on a phone's microphone at 110-115dB.

OP
C

CarverPro

Looking at the lights. The audio wouldn't be that clear on a phone's microphone at 110-115dB.
That is at .. or near the 600 watts rms rating ( 4 ohms) , when the lights are staying solid momentarily

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have one of these sitting around that I've been meaning to put up for sale. The capabilities are remarkable. Dante, lake processors, and a whole bunch more.

I don't know if it's the kind of thing @amirm would want to even dig into to figure out the best way to test, as so much is about the software.

I wouldn't mind sending it in if there is any demand, and I'd just put it up for sale after.
Please do send it to @amirm

OP
C

CarverPro

Heaps of power and 4 rowdy speakers will do that... LoL. ;)
And that’s with no subwoofers or eq. I also run my bass setting on flat( pointing at 12 o’clock). I have to beef up the sound proofing in my basement before I want to upgrade with subwoofers. It is quite loud outside of my house since adding the Ev’s into the mix lmao

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And that’s with no subwoofers or eq. I also run my bass setting on flat( pointing at 12 o’clock). I have to beef up the sound proofing in my basement before I want to upgrade with subwoofers. It is quite loud outside of my house since adding the Ev’s into the mix lmao
You do realize, soundproofing, trap door to a basement, loud music, your neighbors are going to sooner or later believe you are either having weird sex parties, are a serial killer, or both. I suggest you intermix the rock with equally loud classical to confuse them.

OP
C

CarverPro

You do realize, soundproofing, trap door to a basement, loud music, your neighbors are going to sooner or later believe you are either having weird sex parties, are a serial killer, or both. I suggest you intermix the rock with equally loud classical to confuse them.
I try to be somewhat respectful to my neighbours. I only crank the tunes one day per week. Friday or Saturday night. I start around 5pm…and shut it down by 11. The first 3 hours or so I will play Rap/dance/ rave. Then I switch over to 60’s- 70’ hits for the remainder of the night.

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I try to be somewhat respectful to my neighbours. I only crank the tunes one day per week. Friday or Saturday night. I start around 5pm…and shut it down by 11. The first 3 hours or so I will play Rap/dance/ rave. Then I switch over to 60’s- 70’ hits for the remainder of the night.
Bless you Carver. You are really quite a nice bot!:

D

Deleted member 48726

You should really switch to organ music and Diane Bish if you're serious about your membership here at ASR.

1681098662829.png

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This site review what amir ( mostly ) can get send to him.

Carver has a long long history, the latest chapter is not good with some underperforming tube designs.

And that what got sent to ASR a terrible amp that performed terrible .
The picture will change if some off the better stuff would show up :)

Bridges

Those old SS amps (nothing like the tube stuff reviewed here) were truly indestructible power houses.

Fine for PA work.
Their unique 'rail switching' power supply allows relatively small size (for the given output power) due to smaller heatsinks and its higher power output as well as reliability are great. They beat the competition easily when it comes to weight/size to power ratio.
Some models are even used in home hifi and sounded (surprisingly) perfectly fine to me, even in high-end systems.
I worked for a high-end dealer in those days that also carried some models. They looked great too.

These things were great when on the road as they were small, relatively lightweight, you could drop them on the floor and went on playing just fine.
Nowadays class-D has made these obsolete basically. Smaller, more lightweight, higher power, lower distortion.

I don't care if someone ruins their ears and enjoys it in the process.
It's not something I would do myself but get the appeal of feeling loud bass in the gut.
Passion for something is always good to see.
Interesting comment about absolete amplifiers, if class D amplifiers made the switching power supply amps (class H andG) absolete, I assume that class G an H amplifiers should have made class AB amplifiers absolete for the same reasons.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
These are just different topologies to serve the same goal.
Efficiency, output power, signal fidelity.
I don't think one method made the other obsolete. It is true that some topologies have certain advantages over others which makes manufacturers choose one more often over another depending on what they are after (bandwidth, physical size, noise, theories designers have or topology choises for whatever reason).

Last edited:

DS23MAN

Do you have a link or reference for that? All I remember is the Stereophile challenge where he was able to modify the response to match a tube (CJ Premier 4, I think) amplifier. I do not recall a Mark Levinson challenge, though I have a vague memory of marketing material claiming it had the same sound as the ML in normal (non-"tube") mode. Which a number of amps could say under the right conditions.

I do not recall the PM series being widely used in professional sound reinforcement. The cooling path was not all that straightforward IIRC so you had to gap (add a spacer to) the rack to keep them cool. (That was true for other amps as well, but Carver claimed the PM's ran cooler.) They didn't cost a lot compared to Bryston and Crown that were more or less the "rulers" of the pro amp world back then but didn't have the reputation for reliability (the whole Phase Linear mess was probably a factor in that perception). I also have a vague memory of swearing at the speaker jacks for being too close together. I imagine they are fine in home use.

The M/PM-series amps were decent value products, with higher power than many competitors, but I do not recall them particularly standing out as exceptionally good or bad compared to many other amps back then. Carver had a broad product line around then, and they were well-respected for the most part (like others have said, the Cube was not a favorite, for sound or reliability), but it was a crowded arena.

Whatever - Don

I have been a pro sound engineer from the beginning of the eighties. The Carver PM 1.5 pro amp was designed for Clair Brothers ( USA), the biggest PA rental company in the world. First tour was with Bruce Springsteen and several other big tours after that where done with the same amps. In 1987/88 the rental company I worked at here in Holland almost closed a deal with Carver to import them. Another pa equipment importer got the deal with the small exception that we could by these amps at manufacturer prices and no repair costs. Had them running in large amounts for over a decade. Very relaible, better than those old Crown DC300 shit we used before. And at listening tests the later Crown Micro and Macrotech could not compete. A lot of power in a small package with low weight! I still own a M400 in 110V power version with a seperate transformer and a C17 preceiver which I use on daily basis in my working room.

DS23MAN

Interesting...
;)

We did compare them on W bins, top cabinets and floor monitors. The Crown amps sounded dull, no kick and no transparency. Like if you where listening through several blankets. I used several years a M2.0 on Tannoy Super Red monitors in my recording studio.

Top Bottom