• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you guys help me decide on a Phono Pre?

SPOautos

My setup is just for vinyl, I'm most likely going to just run the phono right into the amp I'm getting (which has level controls on the front) or maybe put a Yamaha wxc-50 between the phono pre and amp since the wxc-50 has a aux in/out that apparently does nothing to the sound, but allow volume control.

The amp is a Yamaha mx-600u and the speakers are Vandersteen 2C
The turn table is a Kenwood KD-550 with a AT Series VIII cartridge, which was decent in its day decades ago. I have changed the stylus out to a lp tunes ATN3472VL Vivid Line polished diamond stylus https://lptunes.com/products/lp-gear-atn3472vl-stylus The cartridge/stylus setup has a Output voltage @ 1kHz,5cm/sec: 3mV

I'm trying to upgrade things one piece at a time and currently at the phono pre....I'm trying to determine which of these phono pre's is going to be best. I love jazz, blues, some classical, a little classic rock.....what I am slowly working towards is more realism....where a bass sounds like a stringed instrument with string vibrations, where you can hear that a cymbal is metal and the detail of the drumb stick attack, where a bass drum sounds like a bass drum and not a bass sound....but not end up with ear fatigue.

Here is my current list I have been looking at.....
Emotiva XPS-1
Cambridge Audio Duo
YAQIN MS-23B (I know you guys wont like this tube one)
EAR 834P knockoff
Pro-Ject phono box S2
Pro-Ject Box S Tube Phono (I know you guys wont like this tube one)

The tests here on the forum suggest Cambridge Audio Duo over the Emotiva XPS-1, but do those tests always translate into sound??? I do not know if they do or not.

Anyway....just wondering if any of you guys have tried some of these on the same equipment and know that some sound better than others or if you know of something else not on my list that you found better than one of these that is close to the $200 range.....if you know which do/dont have issues with hum.

I am open to new and used, but not really kits....I am not skilled at all with a soldering iron. If the 600U and one of these phono pre's doesnt sound better than my Sansui 5000a reciever, I will probably them off and go back to my 5000a (which I really like, I'm just testing the waters of more power and see if I can get more realism).

THANKS!!!

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
what I am slowly working towards is more realism....where a bass sounds like a stringed instrument with string vibrations, where you can hear that a cymbal is metal and the detail of the drumb stick attack, where a bass drum sounds like a bass drum and not a bass sound....but not end up with ear fatigue.
That sounds like a need for some big horns.

OP
S

SPOautos

That sounds like a need for some big horns.

That may very well be true....cant make that move just yet though, I HAVE to get a phono pre in order to even play music. I have listened to some horns in the past and got very fatigued listening to them but it may have been the other devices that were playing through the horns. Once I get some decent equipment together (decent for small budget) maybe I will start swapping out speakers to see how things sound. But for now I have to get a phono pre first in order to play vinyl.

My setup is just for vinyl, I'm most likely going to just run the phono right into the amp I'm getting (which has level controls on the front) or maybe put a Yamaha wxc-50 between the phono pre and amp since the wxc-50 has a aux in/out that apparently does nothing to the sound, but allow volume control.

I don't own one of these (my amp has a phono input), but if I needed a phono preamp this would be it. I like their no nonsense approach and that it can be set for just about any cartridge (MM or MC).

https://www.tisburyaudio.co.uk/

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That may very well be true....cant make that move just yet though, I HAVE to get a phono pre in order to even play music. I have listened to some horns in the past and got very fatigued listening to them but it may have been the other devices that were playing through the horns. Once I get some decent equipment together (decent for small budget) maybe I will start swapping out speakers to see how things sound. But for now I have to get a phono pre first in order to play vinyl.
Horns are best served in light quantity. A 3 way with midrange horns is a nice effect.

OP
S

SPOautos

Should these phono pre's perform better than a preamp with a phono stage? Say as an example, something like the Yamaha cx-600 or cx-1000 preamps? Or a APT Holman or a Carver C1 preamp? I have it in my head that a dedicated Phono Pre would be better....but maybe thats not really the case.....

Thanks!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can pick up a Yamaha CX-1000 Pre then that would be a good option. The subsonic filter and cartridge matching are very good.

OP
S

SPOautos

If you can pick up a Yamaha CX-1000 Pre then that would be a good option. The subsonic filter and cartridge matching are very good.

Thanks! I was just using it as one of the examples.....just trying to guage what level a preamp has to be at to outperform these $150-$300 phono pre's. I believe the mx-1000 is actually outside of my budget but all the others are within my budget or close too it. But really was just looking for a general idea.

OP
S

SPOautos

I ran across a great deal on a open box Cambridge Audio Duo and scooped it up. We will see how it goes. Based on the reviews here, I should really like it!

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pro-Ject phono box S2; Pro-Ject Box S Tube Phono (I know you guys wont like this tube one)... if you know which do/dont have issues with hum.
I use a ProJect Phonobox (not sure model--little black box with MC switch on back) in to a Benchmark DAC3 HGC/AHB2. Current turntable (I switch them out) is a Dual 704 w/V-15xMR. No hum noticeable.

audiopile

RE: Parks Audio Puffin
Only have had mine up n playin for a couple of evenings - but I'm very impressed.
Any future orders directly from Parks for factory SPDIF units now ship with 24/96 out. The lights on my Benchmark DAC-3 confirm this. In my case since my speakers only take a max of 24/96 -this is all I'll ever need.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
RE: Parks Audio Puffin
Only have had mine up n playin for a couple of evenings - but I'm very impressed.
Any future orders directly from Parks for factory SPDIF units now ship with 24/96 out. The lights on my Benchmark DAC-3 confirm this. In my case since my speakers only take a max of 24/96 -this is all I'll ever need.

+1 to Puffin

OP
S

SPOautos

Are you able to provide a report?

I'm sorry, I missed your post. Yes, I've really enjoyed the Duo. This is very subjective like most things...but to me it sounds clear and let's the details through. I dont have much to compare it too.

Top Bottom