• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you bypass/remove a tube buffer stage?

Charger

Hi.

In a device such as the Douk Audio T8 EQ/tone controller can one simply remove the tubes altogether? Will there still be sound output?

The reason for my noob question is I want to place the device in a stack, on my PC desk and preferably at the bottom. Douk H7 and H8 devices are the current stack. With the tubes in place on the T8 then it's not stackable.

Cheers!

egellings

Major Contributor
Hi.

In a device such as the Douk Audio T8 EQ/tone controller can one simply remove the tubes altogether? Will there still be sound output?

The reason for my noob question is I want to place the device in a stack, on my PC desk and preferably at the bottom. Douk H7 and H8 devices are the current stack. With the tubes in place on the T8 then it's not stackable.

Cheers!
I can't imagine it working without the tubes, unless the tubes are attached merely as glowing ornaments. Likely, the tubes are operated as cathode followers with a gain of a bit less than 1. It would not hurt to try the device without the tubes plugged in and find out for yourself. Be sure power is off before removing or inserting the tubes if you do decide to experiment.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hi.

Cheers!

Possibly the tubes are just in buffer (cathode follower) mode.
Chances are when you connect the grid and cathode pins it may work... somewhat ... perhaps.
When the tube amplifier you could try to bypass the grid and anode (in the socket so no tube in it) using a capacitor. Measure the DC voltages first.

OP
C

Charger

Thanks for that. Yes i presumed it would be required as part of the signal path. I still might pull the trigger, but as this is a desktop set up im big on aesthetics.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
There have been some vacuum tube products for audio that appear to have used the (energized) filaments of the tubes as resistors -- i.e., the tubes were in the circuit, and the amp wouldn't work (pass sound) without them. :facepalm:
As @egellings posits, though, chances are the tubes are in fact used as buffers and do in fact do something.
The best way to bypass them is -- get another gizmo without any tubes in it.
Schiit's Loki or Lokius products may be a fine alternative for @Charger

:)

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
In a device such as the Douk Audio T8 EQ/tone controller can one simply remove the tubes altogether
Unless you have good electronics knowledge, and some test equipment, I wouldn't do this.

There's no need to have tubes in any circuit, these days. You would be better off buying a different product without tubes.

Top Bottom