• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can we retire “WAF”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkanies

Forum Donor
We all know ”wife approval factor” is super sexist. It might be that dudes tend to spend more time and money on audio, but that’s not everyone. My oldest speakers — M&K Satellite 1B, still sound great (happy to send them up from pdx to sea for testing if interested) — are from my cousin’s mom. My first audiophile was a “she”.

yet, we also know that audio purchases — like any! — need approval of the rest of the house. I can’t just randomly show up with a $5k recliner I love that is counter to the house aesthetic, and has no clear place. My partner cannot just decide to replace my tv with one that they like better but does not work with my PS5. It’s all a negotiation. We know that. Audio is not special.

is there a better term? Can we just acknowledge we, ah, live with other people, and we kind of care what they think about what we do and buy? And we want to make them happy?

i, for one, am as concerned about making my kids happy as I am about my partner. I have trained them to be direct and acerbic. I also come from a large, mouthy family, and I would want to pass their smell test for a vs v.

i’ll never use ”WAF” any way but cynically. But I’d love a way to talk about the actual aesthetic requirements in outfitting a house, and the realities of living with other people.

what other choices do we have? can we switch?

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have never used the term. But do understand that it has become generic term to indicate if something fits in typical living room, not that it literally needs approval of someone else.

Hexspa

I oppose the term because it shows how spineless guys can be. Why on Earth would you marry someone opposed to your main hobby? Guys use this as a valid excuse whereas saying "husband approval factor" would make you look like a domestic prisoner from the 50s. You won't catch me using this term in this lifetime nor have I ever because I'm not married and thankfully was never forced into such an archaic institution as a result of my youthful indiscretions.

A wise person once said marriage should be twice as difficult to commit than divorce when, in fact, it's presently the opposite.

As far as I'm concerned, along with "WAF" also abolish marriage. EDIT: I of course agree with negotiation and win-win among housemembers but "WAF"? smh. I'll just stop before I get blood on my claws.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
We all know ”wife approval factor” is super sexist. It might be that dudes tend to spend more time on money on audio, but that’s not everyone. My oldest speakers — M&K Satellite 1B, still sound great (happy to send them up from pdx to sea for testing if interested) — are from my cousin’s mom. My first audiophile was a “she”.

yet, we also know that audio purchases — like any! — need approval of the rest of the house. I can’t just randomly show up with a $5k recliner I love that is counter to the house aesthetic, and has no clear place. My partner cannot just decide to replace my tv with one that they like better but does not work with my PS5. It’s all a negotiation. We know that. Audio is not special.

is there a better term? Can we just acknowledge we, ah, live with other people, and we kind of care what they think about what we do and buy? And we want to make them happy?

i, for one, am as concerned about making my kids happy as I am about my partner. I have trained them to be direct and acerbic. I also come from a large, mouthy family, and I would want to pass their smell test for a vs v.

i’ll never use ”WAF” any way but cynically. But I’d love a way to talk about the actual aesthetic requirements in outfitting a house, and the realities of living with other people.

what other choices do we have? can we switch?

Should be straightforward enough to simply talk about aesthetics.

CapMan

Major Contributor
I value my wife’s perspectives and objectivity in most things, including my hobby. She is smart and has her own opinions. Guess that’s why I married her (and why we are still Married!)

Svet Angelov

I oppose the term because it shows how spineless guys can be. Why on Earth would you marry someone opposed to your main hobby? Guys use this as a valid excuse whereas saying "husband approval factor" would make you look like a domestic prisoner from the 50s. You won't catch me using this term in this lifetime nor have I ever because I'm not married and thankfully was never forced into such an archaic institution as a result of my youthful indiscretions.

A wise person once said marriage should be twice as difficult to commit than divorce when, in fact, it's presently the opposite.

As far as I'm concerned, along with "WAF" also abolish marriage. EDIT: I of course agree with negotiation and win-win among housemembers but "WAF"? smh. I'll just stop before I get blood on my claws.
Y'know, one can definitely be extremely happy being married to a partner who opposes audio. Compromises exist, and there are so many things besides our hobby that can help build, and maintain, a relationship. I am fortunate enough to be blessed with a partner that appreciates and shows interest in audio. She still doesn't turn on the subwoofer when she listens to music, though.

She also laughed when she heard "wife acceptance factor".

OP
lkanies

lkanies

Forum Donor
I oppose the term because it shows how spineless guys can be. Why on Earth would you marry someone opposed to your main hobby? Guys use this as a valid excuse whereas saying "husband approval factor" would make you look like a domestic prisoner from the 50s.

I agree with this. My wife cares about some stuff, I care about others. In most cases, no conflict, in some cases, we negotiate. The TV room is mine to do silly things like buy four Revel towers and two Hsu subs (and man that revel center is big). The living room… the speakers actually need to fit in.

You won't catch me using this term in this lifetime nor have I ever because I'm not married and thankfully was never forced into such an archaic institution as a result of my youthful indiscretions.

I… have no replies to any of this, other than to say, you should find an outlet for this anger, and it’s probably not on an audio forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom