• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone identify these speakers

Screen Shot 2024-01-21 at 2.18.58 PM.png

from this video:
Two pairs of speakers. top seem to be JBLs. Very cool minimal setup.

D

Deleted member 21219

For the bottom pair, best guess Google had was Acoustic Research AR-4Xa.

The partition doesn't seem to be in the correct place.

1705866692857.jpeg

If you catch the bottom speaker in the video at the right angle, you can see faintly through the grille that there is a large-diameter driver on top, not on the bottom. Not only that, but the shape of the logo is different; the one in the video is longer and slimmer than the square logo on the old AR.

Still searchin' though. ;)

Jim

Zek

Major Contributor
Still searchin'
This is Coral

D

Deleted member 21219

This is Coral

I do believe that you are correct!

Jim

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm more interested in the why of the inquiry in the first place....

OP
differenceclouds
This is Coral
Woah. those are quite interesting. nailed it! The guy in the video is the subject of a documentary, Moriyama-San (I don't think the video is from the doc). I haven't seen it yet but it's on my radar right now as a rare intersection of japanese architecture and experimental music. https://www.dezeen.com/2017/12/15/w...an-ryue-nishizawa-moriyama-house-japan-video/

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I look at that set up and think OMG! The room!!! All flat, hard walls, floor and ceiling. A veritable audio disaster. I don't understand why anyone would put that on YouTube? I'm at a loss for words.

OP
differenceclouds
I look at that set up and think OMG! The room!!! All flat, hard walls, floor and ceiling. A veritable audio disaster. I don't understand why anyone would put that on YouTube? I'm at a loss for words.
OMG he's doing it wrong?? Someone should tell him!

D

Deleted member 21219

When I was in Japan (admittedly years ago) this was the common room furnishing. Different cultures, different environments.

Jim

AM88

Those are probably Coral beta 10 drivers in the enclosure. Very sought after vintage, Japanese, paper full range drivers. I had a pair of the 6 inch versions in a DIY enclosure but sold them after one of the diaphragms was slashed by one of my cats. I also had them in a small hard surfaced room with a record player. I thought they sounded great, but I am sure it was just a coincidence of a suitable sized space, positioning and balancing of freqeuncies with room boundary reinforcements etc....

Eulipian

I look at the room and immediately think: tsundoku (積ん読)

OP
differenceclouds
Those are probably Coral beta 10 drivers in the enclosure. Very sought after vintage, Japanese, paper full range drivers. I had a pair of the 6 inch versions in a DIY enclosure but sold them after one of the diaphragms was slashed by one of my cats. I also had them in a small hard surfaced room with a record player. I thought they sounded great, but I am sure it was just a coincidence of a suitable sized space, positioning and balancing of freqeuncies with room boundary reinforcements etc....
Yeah after the other guy clocked them as corals I went down that rabbit hole for a bit. Very beautifully made drivers.

Top Bottom