• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can a Denon 4800h support a 7.2.2 setup with bi-Amp fronts? Coming a from a 6500h

Jedi2155

Based on this diagram in the manual, it suggests that I can connect 9 speakers with the Front L/R able to bi-amped (for better cross overs), and the unit will automatically switch to power the height speakers if they are detected to be used "When you connect speakers for 8 or more channels, the output speakers automatically switch according to the input signal and sound mode."

This would mean I don't need an 11 channel receiver but I'd be happy with a 4800h? Otherwise I'd need to stick with a 6700h or SR8015.

Pict%20SP%20Layout%207.1%20BiAmp_UJDCILbmnvucnu.png

Conne%20SP%207.1%20BiAmp%20X48E3_DRDZILvsrtztpy.png

*1 The speaker terminals for bi-amp connections to the front speakers vary depending on the MAIN ZONE layout. Refer to “Amp Assign” - “Bi-Amp”. link

*2 The height speakers, ceiling speakers and Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers can be connected to the HEIGHT1 speaker terminals. Set the speaker to be connected from “Height” - “Layout” in the menu. link

OP
J

Jedi2155

So I purchased the AVR-X4800H and unfortunately, it DOES NOT work in the way I anticipated.

I configured it as a 7.1 (Bi-Amp) output with the Top Height Speakers selected so it gave me the guidelines for connecting all the speakers and devices correctly. UNFORTUNATELY (and as expected for a 9 channel amplifier), it will switch between the HEIGHT 1 Speakers and the SURROUND BACK depending on content!

Examples:
  • If i'm providing a 7.1 signal only, it will activate the surround back and disable the front height speakers
  • If i'm providing a Spatial Signal (DTS:X, Dolby Atmos), it will disable the Surround Back Left / Right channels giving me 5.1 + Height + Front Bi-Amp speakers.
    • And MIX the SBR/SBL signals in to the SR and SL channels (so in a 7.1 signal will only come out of those 2 channels).
  • If set a stereo source (i.e. Music) to:
    • Stereo: Only Front L/R
    • Dolby Surround: Top Speakers are prioritized. SBR/SBL are disabled.
    • DTS: Neural X : Top Speakers are prioritized. SBR/SBL are disabled.
    • Auro 3D: Top Speakers are prioritized. SBR/SBL are disabled.
    • Auro 2D Surround: SBR/SBL are prioritized. Top Speakers are disabled.
    • Multi-Channel Stereo: SBR/SBL are prioritized. Top Speakers are disabled.
    • Rock Arena: Top Speakers are prioritized. SBR/SBL are disabled.
    • Jazz Club: Top Speakers are prioritized. SBR/SBL are disabled.
    • Matrix: Top Speakers are prioritized. SBR/SBL are disabled.
I'm going to try adding a spare amplifier to run the height speakers and see if that helps....

Beave

Major Contributor
Based on this diagram in the manual, it suggests that I can connect 9 speakers with the Front L/R able to bi-amped (for better cross overs)...

What does "(for better crossovers)" mean in your question?

OP
J

Jedi2155

What does "(for better crossovers)" mean in your question?
I've used my system with both Bi-Amped and conventional. I have heard a slight increase in sound quality, not a huge difference, but noticeable.

See below.
Bi-Amping / Bi-wiring the the tower speakers allows the amplifier to separate the hi and low frequencies between the woofers and the tweeter:

Let’s start by looking at bi-wiring. There is a lot of debate as to how and whether bi-wiring truly works. In our experience, every time we have bi-wired a speaker properly, we have been able to notice an improvement in clarity and resolution. The sound also seems to be more precise in a three-dimensional space.

On a speaker that does not have capabilities for bi-wiring, one set of connections would attach to the crossover. The job of the crossover is to send the lower tones to the bass driver and the midrange, and upper tones to the midrange and treble speakers. A crossover works by filtering out the tones that should not go to the speaker its section is connected to. If your speakers are set up for bi-wiring, those separate connections on the back lead to different connections at the crossover, which keep the bass and midrange/treble sections separate.

The bass driver or woofer in your speaker moves thousands of times faster than the midrange or treble drivers do. The theory is that this movement creates magnetic energy that gets back into the speaker cable. So, imagine you are the small treble frequencies. Would you rather swim up a wire that has all kinds of magnetic ripples and force coming from the woofer, or swim up a wire that is smooth with no resistance? When you bi-wire, you separate out those connections.
bi-amping-setup.jpg

OP
J

Jedi2155

So I've tried adding a separate receiver and using only the pre-outs on the Top Ceiling speakers, however the software will not change the Amp Assign function and I'm still stuck with the same functionality 5.2.2 or 7.2 even if I put the ceiling speakers into an external amplifier, the 7.1 bi-amp configuration does not work.

There needs to a 9.1 (Bi-Amp configuration) where the height speakers can be powered by an external amplifier

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
And why are you wanting to (passively) bi-amp your front speakers?

OP
J

Jedi2155

And why are you wanting to (passively) bi-amp your front speakers?

To improve the sound quality which I heard the difference of (its very slight).

Beave

Major Contributor
Sorry for the double question. My posts and yours didn't show up for me for about a half hour and I repeated myself somehow. Weird.

Anyway, the "very slight" difference you think you heard is probably so slight that it's actually just your brain telling you that you heard a difference when there wasn't one. Try comparing when you don't know which it is you're listening to (a blind comparison), and you'll probably find you can't tell the difference.

Top Bottom