• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio CXN V2 Measurements (Streamer & DAC)

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Hooked the unit up today and so far I am pleased. Set up was simple and only took about 10 minutes to update firmware and get music playing through Spotify Connect.

My current amp doesn't have balanced inputs so the sub will be out of commission until I free up the line outputs.

But so far so good!

auronthas

I own CXN V2 and pair with Ares II external DAC via coaxial, too bad there's no USB output. Fantastic sound with latest FPGA firmware update on Ares II.

Lately notice a new music streamer DMP-A6, I have read ASR review on this unit with good measurement with many features including USB output if don't like its internal DAC ESS9028Q2M. Anyone has experience on both streamers and sound comparison? Appreciate your thoughts sharing.

IanCD

Just joined..!
I only found this site by searching for reviews of the CXN v2
Planning on buying a streamer, maybe this one, next year... part of my process and path for finally ditching and selling my vinyl...
My only experience of streaming up to now has been using laptop or phone... (Tidal, not Spotify, and will try Qobus sometime soon).
This streamer appealed to me on the basis of various reviews I read elsewhere. The appeal is confirmed by this review (really helpful @VintageFlanker ... Thank You..!), and by comparing these results to the reviews here (also helpful, thanks @amirm) of Bluesound Node 2i and Wiim Pro, which have been suggested to me as options elsewhere.
I'm not in a position to buy this atm, but going to the Cambridge Audio site I saw they have the AXN and MXN alternatives, with different DACs. The AXN 10 has ESS SABRE ES9033Q DAC and it's reduced from £549 to £449 at the moment.
I only intend to connect whatever streamer (output) I do buy direct to my amplifier, and it will be connected direct to internet / router (by ethernet if I can get the cable to where it will be located), so I'm not sure I need or would benefit from the plethora of functions the CXN has... I want to be able to stream high quality audio from Tidal or Qobus and BBC Sounds and that's about it, certainly for now. (By the way, is it possible to use the XLR ouputs into an amp that only has phono inputs..?)
I don't know anything about that ESS DAC other than a brief search today here and elsewhere on internet... seems to indicate it's well respected but with the caveat that performance can vary widely depending on implementation, which I assume would be true of any DAC chips..?
So, any thoughts, folks - particularly @VintageFlanker and @biglebowski and others who own the CXN v2 - regarding how well the AXN would compare with the CXN, specifically regarding sound quality..?
Or does that 'implementation is all' caveat mean it would be comparing apples and oranges and that I therefore can't read anything into the sound quality of the AXN10 from the DAC chips in it and the qualities of the CXNv2..?
Many thanks for responses, in anticipation...

Snoopy

Major Contributor
So, any thoughts, folks - particularly @VintageFlanker and @biglebowski and others who own the CXN v2 - regarding how well the AXN would compare with the CXN, specifically regarding sound quality..?
Or does that 'implementation is all' caveat mean it would be comparing apples and oranges and that I therefore can't read anything into the sound quality of the AXN10 from the DAC chips in it and the qualities of the CXNv2..?
Many thanks for responses, in anticipation...
Im not able to comment on the AXN10 but regarding the CXN v2 , it measures really good like you can see int he review by VintageFlanker and the only fault I can see in the unit is that it upsamples everything to 384khz. If you want bit perfect playback or do your own upsampling in HQplayer for example this wouldn't be a unit for you.

But I did my own upsampling in HQplayer (really demanding on a computer) with another DAC and im not sure I would notice a difference in a blind test to the CXN v2 with loudspeakers. And even with headphones im not sure if its really worth it.

So back to the CXN v2. The very positive stuff is that you get XLR and RCA out at the same time that work simultaneously.
You can connect the CXN v2 to an amplifier and a headphone amplifier or a Tube amp. the optical out bypasses the internal DAC and its upsampling , so you could use another DAC fun in that setup.

With its Lan input and Wifi it's very good streamer thanks to Roon support. and the Cambridge App is alright if you are only using qobuz etc.

If internet happens to be down you can also plug a usb drive into the CXN v2 and play files directly from it with the display.

The Dual woflson DAC chips are old. so you don't get fancy filters like ESS has. but it works perfectly fine as it is, Even with DSD (gets upsampled to PCM384).

And there is Airplay. that just works without flaw even when streaming from a Apple TV or iPad to the CXN v2 while switching between apps.

I guess it depends if these features are important to you at all. but sound quality shouldn't be a issue with neither the AXN or the CXN

Venga Velo

Has anyone upgraded the wifi dongle to something with better connectivity? Or is it somehow proprietary?

Anderlfs

it measures really good like you can see int he review by VintageFlanker and the only fault I can see in the unit is that it upsamples everything to 384khz. If you want bit perfect playback or do your own upsampling in HQplayer for example this wouldn't be a unit for you.
This is done by the ATF2 24bit/384kHz upsampling filter. I haven't found any information on whether this filter or a similar one is used on the new AXN/MXN.

Alexx

Good morning.

I also add myself to this discussion, I wanted to ask what musical timbre the Cambridge CXN V2 had

I'm looking for a "warm" sound, I also looked online but I found all different things (some say cold, others too metallic, other reviews warm and neutral...).

Better to ask the person who has it directly!

I also ask what differences there are between the output: optical - Digital Coaxial - Analog (I would like to connect with the analog one to exclude the Nad 399 Dac).

Thanks in advance.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also add myself to this discussion, I wanted to ask what musical timbre the Cambridge CXN V2 had
Easy: None.
I also ask what differences there are between the output: optical - Digital Coaxial - Analog
You have the results of the analog outputs.
S/PDIF is 100% transparent/bitperfect, so nothing to write home about.
(I would like to connect with the analog one to exclude the Nad 399 Dac).
You have the full AP measurements of the NAD C399 here:
There would be no benefit from CXN DAC to C399 one...
1000020051.png

I'm looking for a "warm" sound, I also looked online but I found all different things (some say cold, others too metallic, other reviews warm and neutral...).
Well...
That should mean a lot to you, no ? Subjective listening feedbacks, regarding any DAC, aren't reliable. Like, at all. A DAC should not have any other purpose than being 100% transparent. If you want a warm sound, buy other speakers or EQ the ones you already have.

Alexx

@Flanker Vintage: Thanks so much.

Correct me if I'm wrong I think I understand this.

1) The Cambridge has no musical timbre, so "Neutral" I think neutral is the best, right? as in this case it is possible to intervene on the amplifier or speakers to have a slightly different or warm tone.

2) S/PDIF optical output isn't that great (others are better).

3) Analog output of the Cambridge is comparable to that of the DAC of the Nad 399 if I use Optical output/Input.

4) Would I get any improvements if I use the Cambridge Digital Coaxial Output? (I read online that it is the best connection after RCA).
Thanks in advance.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Flanker Vintage: Thanks so much.

Correct me if I'm wrong I think I understand this.

1) The Cambridge has no musical timbre, so "Neutral" I think neutral is the best, right? as in this case it is possible to intervene on the amplifier or speakers to have a slightly different or warm tone.

3) Analog output of the Cambridge is comparable to that of the DAC of the Nad 399 if I use Optical output/Input.

4) Would I get any improvements if I use the Cambridge Digital Coaxial Output? (I read online that it is the best connection after RCA).
Thanks in advance.
1. A device like this isnt the best if you know you need to make EQ adjustments in the chain. There is little point running a PC in front of this doing any EQ (You may as well just get a good cheaper USB DAC) and EQ on the analog output isnt as easy or effective.

2. Where did you get that?

4. Very much doubt it

Alexx

@Jimbo54:

1) Why isn't it the best? do you think there is something with a more "soft or warm" sound, I read online that Cambridge is very Neutral... what's wrong?

Eversolo DMP-A6 I've seen some reviews and they say it's very unbalanced on the highs, and could get tiring, which is why I'm leaning towards the Cambridge brand.

I need a streamer with remote control and display (there isn't much to choose from under 1000 euros).

2) Shopkeepers say that the optical output (Toslink is less good) is better in quality than the optical coaxial or analogue one, if the device has a good DAC.

4) So is the Cambridge Dac the same in quality and acoustic tone as the one fitted with the Nad?
Thanks so much for the explanations.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Eversolo DMP-A6 I've seen some reviews and they say it's very unbalanced on the highs, and could get tiring, which is why I'm leaning towards the Cambridge brand.
Tee Hee.
Keith

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1) Why isn't it the best? do you think there is something with a more "soft or warm" sound, I read online that Cambridge is very Neutral... what's wrong?
What did you not get in post #150 exactly?

Eversolo DMP-A6 I've seen some reviews and they say it's very unbalanced on the highs, and could get tiring
Which is absolutely wrong. Seriously : Stopping reading unreliable subjective "reviews" would be a good start to begin with...
4) So is the Cambridge Dac the same in quality and acoustic tone as the one fitted with the Nad?
Yes ! Just : YES.
1) The Cambridge has no musical timbre, so "Neutral" I think neutral is the best, right?
Right.
No. I just said the exact opposite:
S/PDIF is 100% transparent/bitperfect, so nothing to write home about.

3) Analog output of the Cambridge is comparable to that of the DAC of the Nad 399 if I use Optical output/Input
Yes!
Apples and oranges. It seems like you do not understand what's digital transmission. Any SPDIF, whatever Coax or Optical output has to be 1000000% textbook perfect. Unless it's broken, or flawed by design. RCAs are analog outputs. They are related to digital/analog conversion, filtering, output stages and so on.

To cut it short: If you don't need Cambridge's StreamMagic app, or any other features of the CXN, then you do not need a CXN. It won't change the sound of your C399 at all, in any way some may imagine: warm, cold, bright, airy, or whatever. Done.

If you're not satisfied with the sound of your speaker. You better think about placement, room acoustics, EQ or... other speakers. The end.

Last edited:

Alexx

@FlankerVintage:
Ok thanks (other answers had overlapped).

All clear, to be brief, I need a streamer that has a display and remote control, which is why I was thinking of Cambridge.

The dealer assured me (I didn't understand why) that the optical output was inferior to the digital coaxial output due to data transmission (worse on optical cable and better on digital cable) which gave a more harmonious sound.

Exactly RCA output is analogue, therefore conditioned by the quality of the DAC incorporated in the device.

So to change the quality of the "warmer" sound (regardless of the fact that I still need a network streamer) I have to intervene on speakers (probably kef R3 that are too bright) or on the amplifier (vincent SV 288).

This is not the place to talk about amplifiers, sorry, what's important is to have clarified the streamers...
Thank you in advance.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@FlankerVintage:
Ok thanks (other answers had overlapped).

All clear, to be brief, I need a streamer that has a display and remote control, which is why I was thinking of Cambridge.

The dealer assured me (I didn't understand why) that the optical output was inferior to the digital coaxial output due to data transmission (worse on optical cable and better on digital cable) which gave a more harmonious sound.

Exactly RCA output is analogue, therefore conditioned by the quality of the DAC incorporated in the device.

So to change the quality of the "warmer" sound (regardless of the fact that I still need a network streamer) I have to intervene on speakers (probably kef R3 that are too bright) or on the amplifier (vincent SV 288).

This is not the place to talk about amplifiers, sorry, what's important is to have clarified the streamers...
Thank you in advance.
You might want to run the digital out of the streamer into a mini DSP rather than changing amp or speakers. And /or room treatment and subs.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The dealer assured me (I didn't understand why) that the optical output was inferior to the digital coaxial output due to data transmission (worse on optical cable and better on digital cable) which gave a more harmonious sound
:facepalm:
It's total nonsense. Your dealer is either lying, or doesn't know any better. Both optical and coaxial share the exact same S/PDIF protocol and perform absolutely the same with any competently designed DAC/Streamer. (Some exceptions are due to malfunctions of manufacturer's implementations, not to the cables or connectors)
That's the all purpose of my work, if ever you even read post #1. ;)
Your speakers, their placement, your room acoustics. 100%. No DAC on earth is supposed to change that.

Last edited:

Alexx

Thanks so much for the help and explanations.

Congratulations also to the forum, always very well prepared.
See you soon.

Tangband

Major Contributor
:facepalm:
It's total nonsense. Your dealer is either lying, or doesn't know any better. Both optical and coaxial share the exact same S/PDIF protocol and perform absolutely the same with any competently designed DAC/Streamer. (Some exceptions are due to malfunctions of manufacturer's implementations, not to the cables or connectors)

That's the all purpose of my work, if ever you even read post #1. ;)

Your speakers, their placement, your room acoustics. 100%. No DAC on earth is supposed to change that.
Vintageflanker is right.

Hi Alexx.
A WiiM pro is in practical use soundvise superior to the Cambridge CXN or bluesound node or your Nad.
Im gonna explain why.
The WiiM pro has a well executed digital PEQ function with variable Q and shelving functions. Its in the digital domain and you can use it with the spdif output to a dac . This means that you can make the WiiM sound warmer, cooler or whatever you want the soundcaracter to be . If your kef sounds to bright, or your amplifier or your room, you can use the shelving funktion at choosen frequency and set it to -1 dB . And the opposite is possible. This will make the sound with almost all loudspeakers better than without the PEQ function. This function is much more advanced than an EQ.

Further - the peq function in the WiiM pro is transparent and dont loose in quality when you use it. This is not common regardless of price. This combined, makes the WiiM pro a highend dealerˋs worst nightmare because its hard to motivate a customer to buy a more expensive streamer than this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom