• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cable help XLR to 3.5mm

dytanaka

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I started buying my first DAC about a year and a half ago. I bought an Oppo PM3 and the HA-2SE DAC/AMP. I decided this year that I like it enough to upgrade to a Monolith 887 and D90. I have ordered the major pieces and now I started ordering cables. I bought Fanmusic C006 Female-Male Balanced HiFi Cable to interconnect the amp and DAC, but now I am at a loss to buy a balanced cable for the Oppo PM3s. Every time I look at XLR cables they are balanced but the output is mono or unbalanced for stereo. Is there anyone that can tell me what cable I need and who carries it?

Thanks

David

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You don't need balanced cable. And in fact you can't have balanced output converted to unbalanced 3.5mm plug. So just just use the unbalanced output.

OP
D

dytanaka

You don't need balanced cable. And in fact, you can't have a balanced output converted to an unbalanced 3.5mm plug. So just use the unbalanced output.

Thank you for the response, but I thought I did want a balanced cable? I did finally find one on ebay ( for an exorbitant price) I just add Oppo pm-3 to my search. So I have read two sides, one side says that the Oppo PM3 is balanced and I should buy a balanced cable. But then I read there is no such thing and I will damage my amplifier if I buy one of these cables. Can someone please educate me or give a website that explains this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BALANCED-X...hash=item2835abfd01:m:mcO61KCo7lwNWSwykccxHBw

Thanks

David

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thank you for the response, but I thought I did want a balanced cable? I did finally find one on ebay ( for an exorbitant price) I just add Oppo pm-3 to my search. So I have read two sides, one side says that the Oppo PM3 is balanced and I should buy a balanced cable. But then I read there is no such thing and I will damage my amplifier if I buy one of these cables. Can someone please educate me or give a website that explains this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BALANCED-X...hash=item2835abfd01:m:mcO61KCo7lwNWSwykccxHBw

Thanks

David
Don't use this cable it will short out the amplifier. Although it will not destroy your amplifier but that's because your amplifier will be in the protection mode.
PM3 is not balanced hence you will not be able to use with any differential output.
If you don't believe me, go ahead and buy one and see what happens.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Oh but it is balanced. But with it's high sensitivity, I'm not sure there's a need...
Well. If it's a TRRS jack, then yes. I just saw there's only TRS 3.5mm cable from oppo and it's only one side. I can be wrong.

deafenears

Forum Donor
Yeah, it's a TRRS jack. They sell the 3.5mm balanced / TRRS cable as an additional accessory.

Top Bottom