• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for advise: XLR balanced out to TRS balanced input

DTTOM37

Hi all, I am looking for some advice.
Thanks in advance for your response:
I am considering to intergrate a Topping PA5 II Amplifier (TRS balanced input) into my 2-way active setup which has a Audiolense/JRiver x-over using 4 channels of an OKTO DAC pro with balanced XLR output.
Question 1: Does a simple "pro tech" adapter from "female XLR to TRS male" like this Neutrik NA3 FP Adapter with my existing Sommer Cable (Epilogue) balanced XLR cables provide the same signal quality as the optional XLR to TRS cables from the Topping brand?
Question 2: Am I mistaken to assume that the balanced input design of the amp and the balanced output design of the DAC are the important factors in the game - together with having properly designed cables and an adapter with TRS output? Did I miss something?
Thanks, Tom

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
XLR and TRS are the same electrically so the adapter is fine. Of course. sometimes TRS connectors are used for unbalanced stereo and a TRS headphone output to a balanced XLR input would be wrong...

Assuming the cable is wired correctly and 100% shielded, the "quality" is only related to ruggedness and reliability, not sound quality.

An adapter cable with TRS on one end and XLR on the other is "better" because it's fewer connections and it puts less mechanical stress on the connectors.

Question 2: Am I mistaken to assume that the balanced input design of the amp and the balanced output design of the DAC are the important factors in the game - together with having properly designed cables and an adapter with TRS output? Did I miss something?
Balanced connections are more immune to noise. Both ground-loop noise, and noise pick-up by the cable. If you don't have noise a balanced connection won't sound better.

It's more important that the input be balanced than the output, but it can be tricky to get the correct adapter and balanced-to-balanced is more ideal and easier.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's pretty simple. TRS and XLR are effectively equivalent for your purposes. An adapter works fine. I would prefer a cable with different ends made on. But it will work either way.

OP
DTTOM37

DTTOM37

It's pretty simple. TRS and XLR are effectively equivalent for your purposes. An adapter works fine. I would prefer a cable with different ends made on. But it will work either way.
Thank you & Thanks also to @DVDdoug
The point is that 2 Neutrik adapter are appox 30 Euros, while a pair of 1,25 m Topping is an extra 69 Euros. And the XLR-XLR cables are already in place here ... thus - if no considerable technical difference - the decision may be based on ecological / economical terms.

EDIT: I forgot to mention: If I would tell my wife the real number of computer and audio cables I hide all over the house, I would be divorced before I have finished re-counting ;-)

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
to my surprise there's all kinds of trs to xlr, male to female etc. etc. cables on ebay for literally snack money

i always thought this stuff was expensive, and it may be if you go to a pro shop... and if you need stage size lengths

but short interconnect lengths (a foot to 1.5m etc.) are cheap and high quality and i dont know how they make money given the connectors arent cheap

i would do this rather than adapters

my original feeling was xlr and trs cables were expensive but not so for us 'audiophiles'

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all, I am looking for some advice.
Thanks in advance for your response:
I am considering to intergrate a Topping PA5 II Amplifier (TRS balanced input) into my 2-way active setup which has a Audiolense/JRiver x-over using 4 channels of an OKTO DAC pro with balanced XLR output.
Question 1: Does a simple "pro tech" adapter from "female XLR to TRS male" like this Neutrik NA3 FP Adapter with my existing Sommer Cable (Epilogue) balanced XLR cables provide the same signal quality as the optional XLR to TRS cables from the Topping brand?
The adapter should work. But I would prefer a cable with proper connectors, because of the length of the combination of XLR connector and adapter, and the stress it may produce on the plug if bent.
This is correct. However the connector type is not important for signal integrity. I just prefer XLR over TRS due to its stability and locking feature.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you & Thanks also to @DVDdoug
The point is that 2 Neutrik adapter are appox 30 Euros, while a pair of 1,25 m Topping is an extra 69 Euros. And the XLR-XLR cables are already in place here ... thus - if no considerable technical difference - the decision may be based on ecological / economical terms.

EDIT: I forgot to mention: If I would tell my wife the real number of computer and audio cables I hide all over the house, I would be divorced before I have finished re-counting ;-)
69 € is insane. See here at Thomann:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I second @LTig
Forget about adapters. Just buy good quality TRS / XLR cables. I personally own several Cordial cables of the kind. They are both cheap and very well made :

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The point about the length of the adapter plus XLR is a valid one. They stick out quite far. Depending upon your situation a right angle adapter if available might help some. Neutrik makes good stuff, but for an adapter even some of the cheap stuff is just fine. I'd also second those who are pointing out you can get the proper cable for less. XLR and TRS and balanced cable is nothing exotic.

Top Bottom