• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj a20h vs L30ii - with E30 DAC & Denon 5200 Headphones

Kaligogrrrrr

Hello all!

I just received the Denon 5200 - I have had them before and for my personal taste I adored them, but sent them back due to price.

I got some money and found them at a better price so went for it! Been dreaming about these for years since....

I have the Topping E30 DAC which is PLENTY enough fidelity for my ears. However I currently have no headphone AMP and I am plugged into the headphone jack of my PC with the L30 just sitting in a draw.

I have near FULLY blown my wad on the headphones, so the Topping L30ii is out of my range reeeeeally at the moment, but I have seen the Sabaj a20h and for that price I am very keen, will this pair well? What do I need to buy? I hear there are issues with certain ways to use the a20h so now I am hesitant.

ANY ADVICE appreciated!

I don't understand about the balanced thing it's probably more than I could ever notice. NO to channel imbalance though....

EDIT: Do I need this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Balanced-Compatible-Monolith-Headphones-Replacement/dp/B07X6M5LXS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2H6N1UTRTY0SL&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.jajchIifZ3VRx69qq_LWuzoXSX2JgKqRKJTefZq6fJABVyFCmgcF50qc3BSVBX6KkDfTrLRg8UzhlYI7rFzyBXsVc4Wb3MlWXYl7adCm-N-OOlZ13lOn29HnMLZMwVCorBsrXUxhzupEAZcl5munMxeCykUUJZFwKlg_VQHnPnx6zVZwEdmpGuIcJovgwR9MX1zY30VbFkdVtS1EQcp5iSsofCRRWw8rbENbH3MRLwA.o9n_nAf8dJvWo3QwnFsAQhuz9S0w5CgwGz-BBmr0p7Y&dib_tag=se&keywords=balanced+xlr+headphone+cable&qid=1709146081&sprefix=balanced+xlr+head,aps,79&sr=8-3 I've been reading around even before this post and it's just all so confusing.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
No you don't need a balanced headphone cable.

Balanced headphone output doesn't improve sound quality.

If you want to ensure perfect channel balance at all times, then you can either get a DAC+Amp AIO (DX3Pro+, etc), since those almost always use digital volume control, or if you want to keep using your E30, then you need to search for a headphone amp with an analog stepped attenuator.

Here's a list: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...mark-hpa4-headphone-amp-pre.8141/post-1781217

OP
Kaligogrrrrr

Kaligogrrrrr

No you don't need a balanced headphone cable.

Balanced headphone output doesn't improve sound quality.

If you want to ensure perfect channel balance at all times, then you can either get a DAC+Amp AIO (DX3Pro+, etc), since those almost always use digital volume control, or if you want to keep using your E30, then you need to search for a headphone amp with an analog stepped attenuator.

Here's a list: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...mark-hpa4-headphone-amp-pre.8141/post-1781217

Thank you very much - so to clarify, I can use the Sabaj a20h just fine with my Topping E30 and Denon 5200? And all I need is the supplied cable that came with my Denon headphones?

Cheers

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thank you very much - so to clarify, I can use the Sabaj a20h just fine with my Topping E30 and Denon 5200? And all I need is the supplied cable that came with my Denon headphones?

Cheers
Yes.

If your Denon came with a 3.5mm cable, then you'll need to use an adapter like this:
61L3ZOIr3bS.jpg

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had both and still have the A20h. The difference is the L30ii has a quieter noise floor, and with 10ohm IEMs you really notice it. The A20h has great power on the balanced side, but single ended it's less power. It's a really good amplifier, but the plugs on the back are really annoying unless you have long cables for everything. Also the XLR connectors are upside down so stacking needs a 3ft cable set to twist them the right way. If using 1/4 inch to XLR then it's not an issue. Both are an excellent value though, hard to make a mistake. If sensitive IEMs are in your plan like the Truthear Zero blue, then the L30ii is better, so quiet it's amazing, details just jump out at you.

OP
Kaligogrrrrr

Kaligogrrrrr

I've had both and still have the A20h. The difference is the L30ii has a quieter noise floor, and with 10ohm IEMs you really notice it. The A20h has great power on the balanced side, but single ended it's less power. It's a really good amplifier, but the plugs on the back are really annoying unless you have long cables for everything. Also the XLR connectors are upside down so stacking needs a 3ft cable set to twist them the right way. If using 1/4 inch to XLR then it's not an issue. Both are an excellent value though, hard to make a mistake. If sensitive IEMs are in your plan like the Truthear Zero blue, then the L30ii is better, so quiet it's amazing, details just jump out at you.

Thanks very much just Denon 5200 - I don't want a noise floor my hearing is very strong - I hear EVERYTHING. I have ASD, noises will cause me to move house/become alcoholic... No noise floors ;D

Alternatively noises will cause me to over spend on closed back headphones ..... That's definitely the better of the three...

So I dug out an old Yamaha RX-V2700 that was sitting in the spare room, currently plugged my PC monitor (HDTV) via optical out into the CD optical in, hit pure direct.

Installed EQ APO and Peace, few minor tweaks to taste and I am having a great time!!!!!! ;D

For now I can save a little more money then buy a better headphones amp to go with my Topping E30 DAC.

Top Bottom