• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Burson Conductor Virtuoso preamp noise

Shoe

First post! I have a Burson Conductor that I bought back in 2015 that I really like. But a few years ago It started to pop and crackle intermittently. Gradually the noise became constant, all I get is loud hissing. When muting the unit the hissing stops. The DAC section still operates fine.
When the problem started, I contacted Burson, but they only wanted to sell me their newer version at a discount.
My question, is their anyway I can get the unit repaired or am going to have to use it as a paper weight. I live in the Seattle Wa. area.
Any advise or help would be appreciated.
Thank you, Sam

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Welcome to ASR!

There might be some oxidate copper pins between the DAC and the amplifier board, you may ask a guy from a repair shop to investigate. Is this noise happening on all inputs or on a particular one only?

OP
S

Shoe

Thank you for your response! The noise is present on all inputs. Several years when I reached out Burson they said most likely is was the amplifier board gone bad. Which thy offered no solution, other than buy a new unit.
Would you recommend I take it too a shop? Sam

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That Burson was said to use op-amp type circuitry made with discrete transistors. So good chance a transistor in one of the analog preamp circuits has gone bad. So a good tech might well be able to find it and replace it. Would be much easier if you have the schematic or Burson would share it (which from the sound of things they just want to sell you another one). Have no idea what labor charge would be, but likely not a huge parts cost. Noting of course trouble shooting remotely like this is only slightly better than a guess.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a long-shot but try cleaning the volume pot with some Caig Deoxit D5 $15 on Amazon. I good for cleaning other contacts too.

Last edited:
OP
S

Shoe

That Burson was said to use op-amp type circuitry made with discrete transistors. So good chance a transistor in one of the analog preamp circuits has gone bad. So a good tech might well be able to find it and replace it. Would be much easier if you have the schematic or Burson would share it (which from the sound of things they just want to sell you another one). Have no idea what labor charge would be, but likely not a huge parts cost. Noting of course trouble shooting remotely like this is only slightly better than a guess.
I appreciate your input. I will check with to see if a schematic exist. I will check my area for a shop to take a look at repairing. Thank you so much for your time. This give me hope for the poor unit. Sam

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Here's the CV2+, in case it helps you the internals in any way. You can also remove the DAC board completely and see if the noise goes away. Also, the back plate containing the inputs & outputs has also several pins that might be cleaned, just in case they got oxidised somehow.

@Timcognito it's.a rotary knob, not an analogue volume potentiometer, so there's nothing to clean in there.

Top Bottom