• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Burn_in Time

• Thread starter Deleted member 60987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 60987

What are your thoughts on Burn-In with headphones? Delusional or real? If real, how long is sufficient? Are drivers really going to change over time? I could see pads breaking in, but little speakers?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think any break/burn in time result would be small/not noticeable with regular headphones. I'm not commenting on planar headphones because I know little about them and have not owned them.

MrNice13

Yeah the fact that the components gets loose overtime so perform better are true but it's inaudible.

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

Take a look at that
Yup. I think when you get cans with thick hard pads, they can loosen over time which could change the sound based on your ears being closer. But in general, it doesn't seem accurate to think the drivers need to be broken in.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"It is therefore concluded that breaking-in headphones for consumers is not necessary, and won't result in any noticeable change in their sound. The user reports regarding the existence of the break-in phenomena can be explained as a psycho acoustic effect caused by the fact that human hearing is very good at adapting to new sounds.” - Rtings.com 2018

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

I just got Philips SPH 9500 in the mail today and was a little disappointed in the muted highs, thinking maybe they need a burn-in, but probably not. They have an 8.3 neutrality rating specifically because they aren't boosting the highs around 8k like everyone else. I will say it's not as noticeable as the 599s were though. And their oddly big drop in bass is not really audible. You hear plenty of bass. But all my other headphones push more high end. They make a good alternative reference set because of this. If people listen with speakers they are not going to get the same high end boost headphones spit out.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrNice13

I just got Philips SPH 9500 in the mail today and was a little disappointed in the muted highs, thinking maybe they new a burn-in, but probably not. They have an 8.3 neutrality rating specifically because they aren't boosting the highs around 8k like everyone else. I will say it's not as noticeable as the 599s were though. And their oddly big drop in bass is not really audible. You hear plenty of bass. But all my other headphones push more high end. They make a good alternative reference set because of this. If people listen with speakers they are not going to get the same high end boost headphones spit out.

Much prefer the SPH9500 then the senns for their neutral listening. And don't get me wrong they got a very good sound stage and they are more comfy as well. You are maybe use to the 599 pronounced high.

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

Much prefer the SPH9500 then the senns for their neutral listening. And don't get me wrong they got a very good sound stage and they are more comfy as well. You are maybe use to the 599 pronounced high.
It's tricky because I really like brightness or clarity but from the point of view of mixing and recording, I really shouldn't lean so heavily towards brightness. Some really accurate headphones are just not exciting or immersive. Probably the reason the Sony MDRs have lasted so long. They are basically balanced but don't sound bad. Really took me a while to get used to the DT770s lack of depth and umph. Oddly enough my Superlux 681s sound better to me than all the others. And I am listening on my computer on $25 Rockville M50s, which are also very balanced, but my other stuff is downstairs.

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

My Sony MDR 7506, Beyerdynamic DT770 and ATH M50X. The studio standards. Also a lot of other stuff. Small Presonus and Mackie Speakers. On the bottom left you can see Rokit 5s in a grill I put on for protection. Plus some Tascam, Digitech, Rockman stuff. A cute headphone amp I just got for $30 to replace my Pyle: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JV84FHZ?psc=1

Attachments

• s1.jpeg
    s1.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Deleted member 60987

My Shure SRH 440, Philips SPH 9500, Superlux 681 and Samson SR850. Not studio standards

Attachments

• s2.jpeg
    s2.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 38

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My Sony MDR 7506, Beyerdynamic DT770 and ATH M50X. The studio standards.
No Sennheiser? I think I recognize some of the models in your pic. Is that your desk or workbench?

MrNice13

Would love to have the 681 :) I've modded my 668B with paper towels for taming the highs and put some beef velvet pads and swear they sound better than my dt770 80ohms

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
D

Deleted member 60987

No Sennheiser? I think I recognize some of the models in your pic. Is that your desk or workbench?
I have Sennheiser 280 Pro I plan on selling, along with ATH M40X. Already sold the Sennheiser 599s. I just don't feel like shelling out for 600s or 800s right now.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have Sennheiser 280 Pro I plan on selling, along with ATH M40X. Already sold the Sennheiser 599s. I just don't feel like shelling out for 600s or 800s right now.
I PEQ my 598s to the hilt and they sound pretty good. But there is lotsa room for improvement.

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

Yup. I said in a RTING thread when someone asked how to EQ headphones, he should probably look at what the chart says, flip it and EQ everything the opposite way, estimating. If it boost this much here, drop it about that much with EQ. That's really the point of EQs. Not just making a V shape. But balancing your system for the room it's in. And anything else throwing off the balance. Speakers, amp, etc. It literally has equalize in the name.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup. I said in a RTING thread when someone asked how to EQ headphones, he should probably look at what the chart says, flip it and EQ it the opposite way.
I've never used RTING stuff. I might have been to the webpage some time ago. I'm not sure. PEQ config.>>>
z Screenshot 2023-04-08 230137.png

Top Bottom