• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[bug] HDMI 2.1 chip (Panasonic Solutions)

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Clearly it is too early to buy a HDMI 2.1 AVR.
Next revision of the IC will take 6 month to 1 year.
Let us wait for Black Friday 2021.

Logan Nolag

So every HDMI 2.1 receiver is defective? Wonder if those of us who already bought one can get a refund or replacement under warranty.

OP
D

detlev24

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Audioholics posted:
https://www.audioholics.com/news/bug-in-hdmi-2.1-chipsets

Official statement from Sound United:
Some new gaming source devices that support 4K/120Hz output may not work fully with Denon (or Marantz) 8K AVRs. You may discover this incompatibility issue due to a HDMI chipset mismatch between the devices. When the affected system is connected to the AVR via 8K HDMI input and set to output at 4K/120Hz, and the AVR’s 4K Signal Format option is set to “8K Enhanced,” you may not see the system’s source video on their display, and may not hear the system’s source audio processed through the AVR. This problem is only present when a display that supports 4K/120Hz is used.

We are currently investigating the issue further and will offer a permanent solution at a later date. Meanwhile, we would like to provide a couple workarounds to prevent the issue in its current state:
  • You can connect the system to the display directly via HDMI and use the display’s ARC/eARC functionality to feed the native audio back to the AVR using the connected HDMI cable between the AVR and display. This will allow users to decode the native audio format sent from the source. With this method, the display’s CEC/ARC option must be enabled as well as the AVR’s HDMI Control and/or the AVR’s ARC option. In the AVR, this option is located within the GUI under “Video – HDMI Setup.”
  • Another workaround is to leave or change the source’s video output to 4K/60Hz instead of 4K/120Hz until a permanent solution is available. This will ensure reliable communication between the source, the AVR and the display. The source’s default is set to output at 4K/60Hz, so if no change was initiated out of the box, then nothing further needs to be done.
We apologize for this inconvenience and we are currently working tirelessly to release a permanent solution so you can enjoy the 4K/120Hz experience using the latest sources with your AVR. We will have an update soon regarding the timeline of a permanent solution. We appreciate your patience.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug

https://www.avforums.com/news/denon-marantz-and-yamaha-av-receivers-hit-by-hdmi-2-1-bug.18125

Upcoming Sony, Onkyo, Pioneer and Yamaha Aventage range using same chipset. I had a feeling this won´t be smooth sailing and here we are.

From the article (for those lazy enough to not visit the link)...the affected models are:

-Denon: AVR-X2700H, AVR-X3700H, AVR-X4700H, AVR-X6700H
-Marantz: SR5015, SR6015, SR7015 and SR8015
-Yamaha: RX-V4A, RX-V6A, TSR-700 and TSR-400

EDIT: I've included links to Amir's reviews above. :D

Last edited:

Logan Nolag

Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug

https://www.avforums.com/news/denon-marantz-and-yamaha-av-receivers-hit-by-hdmi-2-1-bug.18125

Upcoming Sony, Onkyo, Pioneer and Yamaha Aventage range using same chipset. I had a feeling this won´t be smooth sailing and here we are.

Now I feel like a real chump buying a NR-1711 although that article doesn't list that model as affected so maybe I'm good. Regardless only one 8k port is kinda pointless since I ordered a PS5, an XBox Series X and I plan on getting a 30 series Nvidia card as soon as I can find one.

eduardw

Forum Donor
Do you think this can be fixed by a firmware upgrade. And could you do the upgrade your self when it is available?

Eduard

mcdull

So all the avr brands had all their eggs in one basket.

Seems like this will cost Panasonic a fair bit.

Nuvoton Technology has completed acquisition of Panasonic Solutions in Sept 2020 (which started around Nov 2019).
So, technically it's not Panasonic now.
However, the chip should be developed while it's in hand of Panasonic, so who's going to be responsible?

Taddpole

Nuvoton Technology has completed acquisition of Panasonic Solutions in Sept 2020 (which started around Nov 2019).
However, the chip should be developed while it's in hand of Panasonic, so who's going to be responsible?

The one who acquired them.

Logan Nolag

TechnoDad posted 3 hrs ago.

At around 17min mark, he says if you have a Denon and/or Marantz affected units, you NEED to register the product with them, so that they can contact you directly when a solution is available.
That's very important!

I just tried to register my NR-1711 but the black option is missing from the product list. Only the silver-gold model is listed. I guess I can't register.

brettjv

Well this is freaking distressing. Just got my 4700H two weeks ago, thinking maybe I should return it while I still can. Though I did get it for only $1199 no tax or shipping, so ... quite a quandary.

circumstances

I have no idea who GROBI.TV is, but apparently they got it to work and think the issue can be corrected via firmware:

Update from GROBI.TV regarding HDMI 2.1 issue with 4K HDR 120Hz:

"Update. We used yesterday RTX 3080 with Marantz SR 7015 and LG Oled CX in 4k HDR 120 HZ. Itwas buggy, but working. So we think that this combination can be fixed by Update of Graficcard Driver. We made two tries. 10 Days ago direct connection RTX to Marantz to LG 4K 120 HZ - No Problem. Yesterday evening the same but 4K HDR 120 HZ. First try black image, restart of PC and then a picture with no problems. But then while "playing" black image. New start and running again. So we would say, its working, but in the moment not stabil. So its probably a job for the graficcard driver. Here is the Video of the first try - 4k 120 Hz - RTX 3080 to Marantz 7015 to LG GX OLED https://fb.watch/1nCKFEVEj9/

Vasr

Major Contributor

Depends on who developed the chip, who signed the contract with the manufacturers, what the terms of the sale contract with the manufacturer was, the root cause of the problem and what liabilities were passed down as part of the sale to Nuvoton if Nuvoton had nothing to do with the root cause of the problem. If Nuvoton had competent lawyers and they had some clout in the negotiations of the sale, they will not have indemnified Panasonic for any liabilities for any assets or IP purchased.

If it cannot be fixed by firmware, it is going to be a very expensive recall.

Clearly, Denon and all the other manufacturers affected did not test this use case at all which is a strike on them.

Top Bottom