• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[bug] HDMI 2.1 chip (Panasonic Solutions)

Obelisk

Sony A7SIII's files tank performance even on highest end rigs when trying to edit some files like 4K 120fps. I need to setup proxies or transcode for usable timeline editing.

I never assumed AMD has better encoders. If they had support for this one specific use case, it would be worthwhile for me to forgo Nvidia's cards in this specific case.

Have you seen this chart?
https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

It not unusual to need to transcode for better performance.

What editing software are you using? Some tools/versions do not support GPU decode for playback. For example, the free version of DaVinci Resolve does not support hardware accelerated playback, where as the paid version does.

Tks

Major Contributor
Have you seen this chart?
https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

It not unusual to need to transcode for better performance.

What editing software are you using? Some tools/versions do not support GPU decode for playback. For example, the free version of DaVinci Resolve does not support hardware accelerated playback, where as the paid version does.

I have seen it, but that doesn't help me since I am concerned not with Nvidia's GPU's, but with the latest crop from AMD.

As for what software, it's DaVinci paid.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I don't really see the fuss about this. The biggest issue is lack of support for 2K resolution (which is either lacking or not adequate) when it comes to gaming. For what on earth do you need 120 Hz refresh rate anyway? You can not see it as you blink (20 ms) at 60 Hz. 90 Hz adaptive or even 75 Hz is perfectly enough & then again for 3D GPU rendering & the single purpose of it is to ensure it doesn't dip under 60 Hz. Lot of bugs regarding HDR implementation on both sides of the glass (vendor - software - hardware), latest Nv driver's hot fix (460.97) being just an example of this (apl black levels).
As the things go the HLG+ whose so far the most useful standard as it fairly good does the HLG conversion of non HDR content (converting it to 10 [11, 12] bit gama & tiding it direct to display capabilities [dynamic HDR]) simply because 95% of available content is not HDR while some will probably never be (STB, cable and cetera).
If you want advanced software video DSP try good old Mad VR it's certainly much better (end results & capabilities) than ASIC which they put on the AVR.

Last edited:

darthpibe

I got a Denon 3700 with an LG GX65 and the Denon cant output 4k/120hz, I've already activated the 8k enhanced option, and nothing, anyone knows how to fix this?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    623.8 KB · Views: 122

darthpibe

What's your 120Hz source?
I'm using a ps5, but I just change the HDMI, and connected the ps5 to the 8k HDMI port and now the 4k/120hz works on the receiver, i thought all the ports were 4k/120, so if I want to buy an Xbox series x or connect my pc to the receiver I got to unplugged the ps5? this is just awful

Golfx

Forum Donor
I'm using a ps5, but I just change the HDMI, and connected the ps5 to the 8k HDMI port and now the 4k/120hz works on the receiver, i thought all the ports were 4k/120, so if I want to buy an Xbox series x or connect my pc to the receiver I got to unplugged the ps5? this is just awful

It won’t work with the Xbox. See sound United’s post regarding this. However you can try plugging directly into the tv and the using the eARC return function to get your audio using the Xbox.

darthpibe

It won’t work with the Xbox. See sound United’s post regarding this. However you can try plugging directly into the tv and the using the eARC return function to get your audio using the Xbox.
yes, i read about it, buy my question was: the only way to get 4k/120hz is to connectin the ps5 to the 8k HDMI in port?, doesn't work on any other port?

Golfx

Forum Donor
yes, i read about it, buy my question was: the only way to get 4k/120hz is to connectin the ps5 to the 8k HDMI in port?, doesn't work on any other port?

Correct. That is in the instruction manual.

Nathan Raymond

Yes, it is unfortunate that things have gotten a little confusing in the sense that an 8k port/cable is not just about resolution anymore, but also framerate. The reason for that is that the cables and ports are actually rated for bandwidth. The faster the frame rate, the more data you transfer. An 8k movie is 4 times the resolution of a 4k movie but most movies are 24fps or 5x less frames per second than 120fps. So 4k/120Hz is four-fifths the bandwidth of 8k/24Hz.

You might be able to work around your input limitations with eARC though. If you have another 4k/120Hz HDMI input on your TV, and you get a second game console that can output 4k/120Hz, plug that console into that other input on your TV (so your TV has your receiver out in one input, and the second console in another input). Then switch inputs on the TV and use eARC to get the audio from the second console from the TV back to your receiver through the HDMI cable connecting the receiver to tthe TV and use the "TV Audio" source on the receiver to hear that audio while the TV directly displays the video from the console.

Technomania

Forum Donor
Update from another discussion forum

HDMI 2.1 chips and boards update fro AVRs:

1. First gen of chips
Panasonic Solutions offered two versions of silicon:
a) Denon/Marantz - one input 40 Gbps port - hardware change imminent due to a bug in the silicon
b) Yamaha lower models-multiple ports-performance unclear until new software; alleged 24 Gbps (8K60 B)

2. Second gen of chips
Analog Devices (attached) & others - Trinnov engineer: chips perform better; unclear how much better?
a) Onkyo/Pioneer/Integra - multiple 40 Gbps and 24 Gbps ports - Q3 2021
b) Steinway Lyngdorf - HDMI 2.1 board upgrade for owners Q3-Q4 2021 (Analog Devices 40 Gbps)
c) Trinnov AV processors - testing 40 Gbps; if happy, release in Q4 2021 or Q1 2022
d) Yamaha high tier models are delayed - swapped first gen for second gen of chips?

3. Third gen of chips - 48 Gbps - in design - due late 2022 or 2023?
a) Trinnov hopes to implement this, if not happy with 2nd gen chips (Cypress Tech. designs boards)
b) others?

Nathan Raymond

Update from another discussion forum

HDMI 2.1 chips and boards update fro AVRs:

1. First gen of chips
Panasonic Solutions offered two versions of silicon:
a) Denon/Marantz - one input 40 Gbps port - hardware change imminent due to a bug in the silicon
b) Yamaha lower models-multiple ports-performance unclear until new software; alleged 24 Gbps (8K60 B)

2. Second gen of chips
Analog Devices (attached) & others - Trinnov engineer: chips perform better; unclear how much better?
a) Onkyo/Pioneer/Integra - multiple 40 Gbps and 24 Gbps ports - Q3 2021
b) Steinway Lyngdorf - HDMI 2.1 board upgrade for owners Q3-Q4 2021 (Analog Devices 40 Gbps)
c) Trinnov AV processors - testing 40 Gbps; if happy, release in Q4 2021 or Q1 2022
d) Yamaha high tier models are delayed - swapped first gen for second gen of chips?

3. Third gen of chips - 48 Gbps - in design - due late 2022 or 2023?
a) Trinnov hopes to implement this, if not happy with 2nd gen chips (Cypress Tech. designs boards)
b) others?

HDTVTest got their hands on one of the upcoming Onkyo receivers and put it through it's paces:

Denon's work-around for their current receivers:

http://www.denon.com/en-us/hdmiadapter

Top Bottom