• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

British Highschoolers try Popeyes for the first time

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I must say, Popeyes' chicken sandwich is just incredible

Even I have had the combo (sandwich, beans and rice, and a drink) on the rare occasion.

I get the "Classic", don't care for the "Spicy" sauce, whatever it is.

Two, maybe three times this year, so far.

The ordering/dining experience can be quite variable, depending on who's manning the helm at the particular location.

I generally don't have a need to "fast food" any more. When I traveled for work, I'd try to find some Mom and Pop place to frequent, and avoid the chains.

The only other place I've visited (maybe twice) this year would be Texas Roadhouse, of which there is one a mile and half away.

Home food satisfies me just fine, since I have a decent cook.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never had Popeye's but looks a lot like Kentucky to me.

When you touch or taste it the difference is obvious.

That said, for chicken sandwiches I’m still a Chik-fil-a guy. Popeye’s is good but the OG is the OG. The guilty pleasure for me is chicken sandwich, small waffle fries, honey mustard sauce, frozen coffee. And apparently they’re even considered “woke” now, so that’s an improvement too!

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Recently I listened to someone illustrate the difference between evolutionary success and flourishing with chickens. Totally obvious, but makes you think.

There are 34 billion chickens in the world. The species has been spectacularly successful from a species perpetuation perspective. But they aren't exactly flourishing.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Keith_W

Major Contributor
There are 34 billion chickens in the world. The species has been spectacularly successful from a species perpetuation perspective. But they aren't exactly flourishing.

Yes, I read somewhere that the best way to save a species from extinction is for humans to start eating them. If we developed a taste for an endangered species, more resources than you can imagine will be poured into research into farming them, far more than will ever be found for conservation. Of course this does not hold true for species that can not be farmed, e.g. some deep water fish.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I read somewhere that the best way to save a species from extinction is for humans to start eating them. If we developed a taste for an endangered species, more resources than you can imagine will be poured into research into farming them, far more than will ever be found for conservation. Of course this does not hold true for species that can not be farmed, e.g. some deep water fish.
100 most endangered species

Problem is they're all either very unappetising or there's not much meat on them.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That said, for chicken sandwiches I’m still a Chik-fil-a guy.
That was a revolution for me. I didn't think a fried piece of chicken made sense in a bun. Too much bread/breading all around. But then I tasted that patty and man, that quality was next level for a fast food restaurant. And the lonely pickle broke apart the notion of too much breading.

While that is good, I do think Popeyes crunch is just amazing. I get the classic as the spicy masks the flavor of the chicken for me.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
for chicken sandwiches I’m still a Chik-fil-a guy.

A Chik-fil-A was constructed near here recently.

There was a traffic jam for months around it, which has subsided.

I tried one.

Seemed a little too processed, sort of a meat patty instead of a fried chunk of chicken.

---

While traveling between jobs in California 30 years ago or so (I liked to take a route I haven't driven before if even remotely possible) I drove through Bishop California on hiway 395.

There was a drive in, and I stopped for a late lunch.

I ordered the Filet of Chicken Breast Sandwich, because the description on the menu looked appetizing.

It came, I opened it up, and it was a 1/4" thick round brown fried patty of something.

I called the waitress to my picnic table and said "I ordered the Filet of Chicken Breast Sandwich, and pointed to thing on my bun.

She looked at it, pinched off a corner of the patty, ate it, and said:

"That's the chicken!"

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
That was a revolution for me. I didn't think a fried piece of chicken made sense in a bun.

I grill chicken thighs over the charcoal fire, and put a whole thigh (bone included) on a bun with BBQ sauce.

The bread makes a good handle to eat around the bone.

I find it dee-licious.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I grill chicken thighs over the charcoal fire, and put a whole thigh (bone included) on a bun with BBQ sauce.

The bread makes a good handle to eat around the bone.

I find it dee-licious.
Come on Ray, you live in the South, theres got to be some good fried chicken and hush puppy's down there.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I had my fill of fried chicken in college in the south. It was the only good food ever served in our cafeteria so we would fill our backpacks when they had it. Don't know if I have eaten it more than a few times since. I can't seem to resist fish & chips though...

ta240

Major Contributor
Scientifically designed fast food often has so much mouth appeal we create social stigmas to keep ourselves from eating it all the time.

Like drugs.
Fortunately, they interject the human element into the experience and it makes me not want to return. Even before they legalized weed here, I think there was a lot of it being smoked on breaks by fast food employees. Walk into many of them and it is akin to the horror movie when they stop at the convenience store on the way to the cabin. Everyone just has a blank glazed over look as they stare at you or more often into space. Much of the time I have to be the one to speak first as I try to move to where their eyes are pointing.
All the Popeyes around here are pretty bad. We ate at one on the way to Vegas decades ago that was quite good but after multiple visits to different ones that opened closer, we have just stopped bothering. Even with a lot of the places that start out good it is just a matter of time before they go downhill or I just get a couple dimwits in a row and give up on ever going back. Once they get enough bad people working there the good ones just move on.
And there is the fact that with many of them the food just makes me feel gross and lethargic. Then it takes long enough for me to forget about how bad the feeling after was so that I go back.

ta240

Major Contributor
...I'd try to find some Mom and Pop place to frequent....
It is so hard to find ones of those where they really care about the food. I've had so many bad experiences with 'local' places. A lot of them seem to get bought or opened by people that think it will be a good revenue stream from a place they can avoid being at or just hang out and visit with their friends that pop in. Or they get their family to work in it and they care even less about the customer. I have literally had them give our appetizer to their friends that they spent all their time talking to and then roll their eyes when I got up and asked where our food was.
I've found a few good ones where they really seem into it, but many more that weren't.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
All the Popeyes around here are pretty bad.
Yeh, service is super bad in the one only one that is in our region (30 minute drive from where I live). I can take 20 minutes to get through drive through and half the time they are out of what you want.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It is so hard to find ones of those where they really care about the food.

Most of my Mom and Pop ventures were 20 to 40 years ago while working - I know litereally everything has deteriorated since then.

Took a Google Streetview tour of Bishop, to see if the Drive In was still there. Probably replaced by a Jack-in-the-Box oir an Auto Parts store.

ta240

Major Contributor
Yeh, service is super bad in the one only one that is in our region (30 minute drive from where I live). I can take 20 minutes to get through drive through and half the time they are out of what you want.
We used to have a KFC that was like that. At the drive through they'd either be out of chicken or out of most of it so you could do weird substitutions or wait for 15-20. It closed after awhile. An air fryer can make some pretty impressive food from frozen at home.
Franchises can be so iffy. The owners just want to make the most money so they hire the cheapest people and have the fewest possible work.
Down here In-N-Outs are company owned so they are the most consistent place. And they have special cleaning crews go over each one early in the morning before they open. They officially open at 10:30 but we've walked in before 10:15 and been the 6th customer for the day. Meanwhile every other place will chase you off if it is just a couple minutes before they open.

ta240

Major Contributor
Most of my Mom and Pop ventures were 20 to 40 years ago while working - I know litereally everything has deteriorated since then.

Took a Google Streetview tour of Bishop, to see if the Drive In was still there. Probably replaced by a Jack-in-the-Box oir an Auto Parts store.
I heard a comedian sing a song called "there is a starbucks where the starbucks used to be"

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Down here In-N-Outs are company owned so they are the most consistent place.
Good point. Hadn't thought about this aspect of company owned vs franchise.

Top Bottom