• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bookshelf speakers for metal

seanx24x

Hey all I hope this is the right place to post this (just joined). Ive recently got into home HiFi gear and Im looking to get some speakers that suit heavy, death metal. Im going between the Polk Reserve R200 the Elac Carina BS243.4 and the Bowers & Wilkins 606 S2 Anniversary Edition. I already have my amp (Cambridge Audio CXA81) and a Record player (U-Turn Orbit Plus Built in pre amp).

Thanks again everyone

jae

Major Contributor
Budget? Listening distance? What is your room like? What volumes do you listen at?

OP
S

seanx24x

Sorry I should have included that in my first message budget is anywhere from $700 to $1500 maybe $1600. Room is 14ft wide 17 ft long. Tend to go from background to loud pretty often

OP
S

seanx24x

Also not sure if helpful but this is one of my favorite bands so might help demonstrate the kind of stuff I have on repeat -

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some listeners might have had trouble hearing the lyrics. Here they are:

"Yasyaysyaysyays/;.,/;L<dfbg;l,mfg:LmsafsLGSLFgmFgm;lfg;lmfgaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhhyaysyasyasyasyasaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh"

Repeat 15 times.

Hope this helps.

Chin chin.

julian_hughes

For anyone who finds that metal track blocked due to cultural/government censorship I can recommend that this will make a useful substitute:

Reactions: SMc

JLGF1

Due to their high sensitivity, these will make a lot of hay with those 80 WPC.

Ascend 340 SE v2

Last edited:

Webninja

Forum Donor
Search for speaker measurements that fit your size and budget. We have a great filterable list.

A good pair of speakers will do well regardless of the genre.

Of course, a sub or two down the road will give you more volume at a fuller range, which is great for all music, metal included.

They usually well measuring brands are KEF, JBL and Revel, but some Elac have done well too.

julian_hughes

...regardless of the genre.
Truth! Buy the best speakers you can. Genre is irrelevant. So is price. The reviews here at ASR are amazingly good and unbiased. A loudspeaker that is not satisfactory for classical/pop/metal/rap/dance/whatever is also not good for anything. Forget genre. A loudspeaker is there to give voice to what the band/singer/orchestra/performer created - no more, no less.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey all I hope this is the right place to post this (just joined). Ive recently got into home HiFi gear and Im looking to get some speakers that suit heavy, death metal. Im going between the Polk Reserve R200 the Elac Carina BS243.4 and the Bowers & Wilkins 606 S2 Anniversary Edition. I already have my amp (Cambridge Audio CXA81) and a Record player (U-Turn Orbit Plus Built in pre amp).

Thanks again everyone
Welcome to ASR. Maybe these below?

But make sure to use that sub out from your integrated amp to 1. Free the bookshelf from low bass at high SPLs; 2. Fill the sub bass extension; 3. Leave the amp headroom enough for the speakers without breaking a sweat. Edit: just saw your integrated does not high pass the speakers, so items 1 and 3 are not possible...

And headbanging is on.

Last edited:

JLGF1

Sierra LX require beefy amperage for high SPL.

ASR bookshelf recommendations based on Olive score SMALL.jpg

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, eventually the Cambridge integrated amp should go and I would get an RME ADI-2/4 + NCx500 amp for both digital and vinyl, high pass and room EQ.

Battlebeast

Thanks again everyone
Save a bunch of money and get these-

JLGF1

The Klipsch could work if you aren't picky about SQ and don't mind rising treble. It may not matter for death metal? o_O

Ascend 340 vs Klipsch R600.jpg
Ascend  Sierra LX vs Klipsch R600.jpg

kevin1969

Sorry I should have included that in my first message budget is anywhere from $700 to $1500 maybe $1600. Room is 14ft wide 17 ft long. Tend to go from background to loud pretty often
I'm a huge metal fan and I have the Revel M16s with a Rel SubZero in a room about the same size. The high frequencies suffer a little bit but other than that Iron Maiden, Dimmu Borgir, Lamb of God all sound great.

I'm considering taking a look at the M106s since lots of people say they are an amazing improvement for the money.

Top Bottom