• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the DAC of the bluesound node 2 so bad you can hear it?

Geertidow

I know the DAC of the bluesound node 2 is bad.

I have absolutely no clue if the DAC of the Bluesound node 2 is audibly bad in a dedicated listening room.

Furthermore. My sub delay is 2.6 ms. Is that important for listening? The question is that using a BS2 I could use Roon for DSP.

But then no sub delay and a ****** dac.

Currently i have a minidsp flex.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The node has digital outputs, you can just hook it up to the Flex. It should be totally transparent and you can DSP whichever way you like on the Flex.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You would have to compare it level matched with a really flawless dac design.
Keith

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would still like to know
Hard to say. We have no measurements of the node 2, only node 2i. I don’t know what the difference is? One thing that stood out in the 2i review was the poor SNR. That may be audible, specially with efficient speakers. I doubt you can hear the distortion though.

Last edited:
OP
G

Geertidow

And a sub delay of 2.8 ms, is that important.
Reason for asking is that with Roons dsp (i like my sound both with and without DIRAC) I could just use a bluesound alone.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
"D/A conversion here comes courtesy of a BurrBrown PCM5122 DAC after which a pair of RCAs sends the analogue signal to a downstream amplifier or the 3.5mm headphone socket to (you guessed it) headphones."

so its TI

i think this is less bad than you would think but its trivial to upgrade these days

OP
G

Geertidow

"D/A conversion here comes courtesy of a BurrBrown PCM5122 DAC after which a pair of RCAs sends the analogue signal to a downstream amplifier or the 3.5mm headphone socket to (you guessed it) headphones."

so its TI

i think this is less bad than you would think but its trivial to upgrade these days
What does TI mean.
And the sub delay... is that a lot to disregard?

OP
G

Geertidow

Allright, non blinded test was pretty clear.
Wether it's the customizable sub delay or the dac, all else equal (PEQ, no dirac) the minidsp flex sounded waaaayyyyy better.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Allright, non blinded test was pretty clear.
Wether it's the customizable sub delay or the dac, all else equal (PEQ, no dirac) the minidsp flex sounded waaaayyyyy better.
Non blinded test may be very misleading, whatever experienced you are.

OP
G

Geertidow

Well, yeah although I'd say yes to this many a time when it would come to cables, proper measuring dacs, proper meausing amps etc.

I'm actually barely able to tell the difference between mp3 and lossless (very inconvenient since I have a lot of cds).

But yeah sure I'm aware, but have a slight feeling it's actually going to do well in a a/b/x test. We'll never know though;)

Top Bottom