• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BIS are to be acquired by Apple

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Do you have some examples of (classical) recordings with this tech that's particularly good?
Are you referring to some particular "tech" or just to BIS recordings in general?

Keith_W

Major Contributor
So, fairly obscure recordings?

I wouldn't say so. Masaaki Suzuki's performances of those Bach Cantatas are superb. I have a few of those myself, but not the complete collection. I already have 3 complete collections of Bach Cantatas (Gardiner, Leonhardt-Harnoncourt, and Karl Richter). I will add a fourth (Rudolf Lutz) when he finishes recording the entire set.

BIS only records classical music so I think non classical listeners wouldn't know about them.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't say so. Masaaki Suzuki's performances of those Bach Cantatas are superb. I have a few of those myself, but not the complete collection. I already have 3 complete collections of Bach Cantatas (Gardiner, Leonhardt-Harnoncourt, and Karl Richter). I will add a fourth (Rudolf Lutz) when he finishes recording the entire set.

BIS only records classical music so I think non classical listeners wouldn't know about them.
To me classical is somewhat obscure, so there's that....altho I suppose cantatas are one form I do listen to (Orff). Comparing one classical recording to another could well be lost on me....

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I am generally a fan of BIS recordings and it is difficult single them out. Off the top of my head, there are the Paul Wee discs, Gringoltz' Stravinksy discs and Litton's Prokofiev symphonies. Many more.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
To me classical is somewhat obscure, so there's that....altho I suppose cantatas are one form I do listen to (Orff). Comparing one classical recording to another could well be lost on me....

Hahaha! Classical is FAR from obscure! I think that most classical listeners know about BIS.

And yes, I agree that being bought by Apple is a bad move. Mostly because I won't touch Apple anything which means that BIS is now off limits for me.

OP
Sashoir

Sashoir

Forum Donor
I am generally a fan of BIS recordings and it is difficult single them out. Off the top of my head, there are the Paul Wee discs, Gringoltz' Stravinksy discs and Litton's Prokofiev symphonies. Many more.
The only thing I could wish of the Litton Prokofiev recordings would have been the inclusion of both versions of the fourth symphony. Their Grieg set is also of very high musical quality.
I'm not enough of an audiophile to give authoritative judgement on their engineering, but BIS and Chandos are the only record labels where my Bayesian prior of a new disc is "it's going to be splendid" (subject to my liking the work).

eelpout

Do you have some examples of (classical) recordings with this tech that's particularly good?

I'd imagine you'd scoff at some of von Bahr's early work and "tech" from the 1970-80's with two-track Revox A-77 reel-to-reel recordings and a pair of Sennheiser MKH 105 microphones. But for fans of a location's space and ambiance, they are fantastic. Much like Meridian recordings of the same era.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Announced on the home page https://www.bis.se/.
I harbour an invincible dread that the outcome will eventually be no more BIS discs or downloads, just their botched primephonic rebadge.
Oh wow, that vaguely reminds me of HDCD and the sale of Pacific Microsonics Inc. to Microsoft.
I hope it doesn't end up the same way... :facepalm:

Top Bottom