• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Better sound? Going from Niles si2100 (class D) to Yamaha as501 (class AB)

rnj

Hi - I have a Niles si2100 which is a 100w class D amp, plugged into KEF Q150s in a small/medium sized room. Music is fed by a sonos connect directly to the niles (the connect functions as a preamp and uses its internal DAC). I mostly listen in the 60-70 db range. Will i get better sound by switching to use the Yamaha AS501. If i were to do that, I would be making two changes, using the Yamaha's DAC, and also switching to an AB amp. Will i get a noticeable sound difference. Or is this just wanting new gear and toys?

Thank you!

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi - I have a Niles si2100 which is a 100w class D amp, plugged into KEF Q150s in a small/medium sized room. Music is fed by a sonos connect directly to the niles (the connect functions as a preamp and uses its internal DAC). I mostly listen in the 60-70 db range. Will i get better sound by switching to use the Yamaha AS501. If i were to do that, I would be making two changes, using the Yamaha's DAC, and also switching to an AB amp. Will i get a noticeable sound difference. Or is this just wanting new gear and toys?

Thank you!
Changing amp won’t improve anything, the Niles is a good bit of kit with no audible flaws. The Sonos likewise. Get a subwoofer and/or room correction instead.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You will if you properly adjust loudness on Yamaha but it's that not amplifier it self. Depending how good your class D is you might get improvement in highs (distortion rise) and eventually less load dependent or not (if it's good done class D). As KEF's are low impedance may be your current amp is happier driving them then A-B class Yamaha. If you want really improvement go with potent DSP system instead.

Reactions: rnj
D

Deleted member 48726

I would spend the money you consider using on a miniDSP and a umik1 instead.

Top Bottom