• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beta-test: DeltaWave Null Comparison software

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Preview version 2.0.13 is available for those who want to try it with OGG Vorbis file format: https://app.box.com/s/hlglgy3aj39rjfxu343fho4t0cdrq9v8

As it turns out, I added the support for this file format more than a year ago, but forgot to enable it :facepalm:
You mean you have been holding out on us for the OGG Vorbis format? Early on when storage wasn't as cheap that was my goto format for away from home use. Oh well not the worst mistake in the world.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I think Deltawave needs a watermark like in Multitone.

Froller

Hello!
I own an E1DA Cosmos and want to measure the df using DeltaWave. However, every time when i try to write a signal from the DAP, it had significant delays that DeltaWave cannot resolve on its own and sync. Is there a described process or instructions available for testing standalone devices such as DAPs or CDs?

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello!
I own an E1DA Cosmos and want to measure the df using DeltaWave. However, every time when i try to write a signal from the DAP, it had significant delays that DeltaWave cannot resolve on its own and sync. Is there a described process or instructions available for testing standalone devices such as DAPs or CDs?

If you have a large delay at the start of one of the waveforms (more than a few seconds) you can tell DeltaWave to ignore a number of seconds from that waveform:

1710428767641.png

You can see how much to trim by loading the waveforms without aligning them by pressing "Show'. As you change Trim settings, you'll see the time difference between them on the Original Waveform with the selected trim applied. You don't have to align them perfectly, just enough to bring them to have the start within a few seconds of each other.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@pkane
Feature request for Deltawave:

Could you add an optional matching step that, besides matching timing and clock drift, also matches the steady-state frequency and phase response so that only the nonlinear distortion remains, which cannot be filtered out with a simple frequency/phase adjustment?

I think it would be a fantastic tool for stress testing Amps, headphones, and speakers with real music signals.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
matches the steady-state frequency and phase response so that only the nonlinear distortion remains

That is what the Non-linear EQ feature does. The feature computes the inverse impulse response, and then applies it to the comparison waveform. In effect, that should remove all the linear differences in phase and amplitude between the reference and comparison waveforms. The delta waveform/spectrum between the references and non-linear-EQ'ed comparison should then represent all the non-linear differences + noise.

staticV3

Master Contributor
That is what the Non-linear EQ feature does. The feature computes the inverse impulse response, and then applies it to the comparison waveform. In effect, that should remove all the linear differences in phase and amplitude between the reference and comparison waveforms. The delta waveform/spectrum between the references and non-linear-EQ'ed comparison should then represent all the non-linear differences + noise.
Awesome! I'll have a look.

Top Bottom