• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best wired IEM with cord that doesn't loop behind ears

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone please advise me on the very best wired IEMs that have cables that run downwards (instead of behind and over the ears)? I wear glasses, and the "cable behind the ear" IEM's are too cumbersome when I'm on the go. Cost not important.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Will you use EQ, or is it important that the IEMs sound good right out of the box?

Also, are USB-C IEMs an option, or do you need 3.5mm?

Last edited:
OP
preload

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will you use EQ, or is it important that the IEMs sound good right out of the box?

Also, are USB-C IEMs an option, or do you need 3.5mm?
Yes, PEQ with a Qudelix-5K. 3.5mm, but also open to USB-C if it'll work with a Samsung Galaxy. :)

sushi2020

If you can use EQ and can tolerate "deeep insert", I recommend Etymotics for their superior isolation.

OP
preload

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks I had a pair of Ety ER4's back in the day (maybe 20 yrs ago) and I really wasn't impressed by the sound. I distinctly remember the Senn 535 (OE) sounding way better. Maybe they've gotten better?

Are there no high end options? For instance, the IE800's are decent. Is anything better? Thanks

Somafunk

Major Contributor
If you don’t mind 2nd hand the Sony XBA-N3 are a great iem, I love mine and would immediately replace them at any cost, still pricey though at around $150 - $200 on eBay see below for sqiqlink comparisons to Truthear Crinacle red, 7hz Zero, Truthear Nova

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Truthear Crinacle red, 7hz Zero, Truthear Nova
These are all good but the Zero's are $23 so get those anyway. They sound great weigh nothing and real soft pads. If you forget them somewhere, so what. Step on them, so what. Someone takes them, so what. I find because they are so easy to wear I'm using them more and more.YMMV

After reading @IAtaman other post on the Run2's I plan to try them. I'm done with $100+ IEMS

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I thought the OP specifically wanted iem’s with the cable hanging down?, the og Zero’s sre cheap n’ decent for £15 but they are shouty between 3khz to 7khz to me,

OP
preload

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don’t mind 2nd hand the Sony XBA-N3 are a great iem, I love mine and would immediately replace them at any cost, still pricey though at around $150 - $200 on eBay see below for sqiqlink comparisons to Truthear Crinacle red, 7hz Zero, Truthear Nova

How do you like the XBA-N3's compared to, say, the Zero? Thanks for the rec!

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! From your other post it seemed that you weren't that impressed by the sound, despite their adherence to the Harman IE curve?
Coming back from open back headphones, they sounded a bit V shaped for my taste indeed. When I am sitting at my desk and want to use JBL's, I do plug in a low shelf and a high shelf filter. On the go, this becomes a "feature" - somewhat boosted lows and high makes it such that the sound is not drowned in the noise of the outside world.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
How do you like the XBA-N3's compared to, say, the Zero? Thanks for the rec!
No comparison :), the Sony's hit much harder for some reason/you can feel the thump in jaw and the treble is much nicer extension without the shouty bit that I eq'd down on the zero 2, my zero 2 are totally unused now once I got over the initial "wow" factor in. such a cheap iem.

Here's what precognition had to say about them, I just checked on eBay and it seems the hype is building on them as the pricing is way up on the last time I checked - shame, as a couple of years ago you could find them for £100ish, Crinacle also rates them very highly as well.

I've just set up an alert on eBay for sony xba n3 as I'd happily pay the going rate for a mint boxed version to have as a spare.

And here's HBB's review of them years ago,

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
It’s a shame you‘re in California as I have sent my XBA’s out to 3 folk in the UK to demo and they’ve all bought a used set, one of them managed to find a new/sealed in box set for £220 from japan last year, that’s what I’m hoping my eBay alert will ping up.

There’s bound to be other iem’s that use a drop down wire, apart from Etymotic that is but I can’t think of any apart from the old school earbud type that sit in the outer ear.

Listening to my set now, the original cable is a bit crap so I use an £11 NiceHCK 16 Core High Purity Copper Cable from VS Audio store on aliexpress

53640658100_2b5eb95374_c.jpg

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are all good but the Zero's are $23 so get those anyway. They sound great weigh nothing and real soft pads. If you forget them somewhere, so what. Step on them, so what. Someone takes them, so what. I find because they are so easy to wear I'm using them more and more.YMMV

After reading @IAtaman other post on the Run2's I plan to try them. I'm done with $100+ IEMS
Update: the Zeros have the ear wire but so light and $23 one could easily cut them off with wire cutters.

Top Bottom