• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Symphonic Recordings

Robin L

Master Contributor
I don't get it. What's the connection?
Both are producing their version of Aaron Copland. Grofe's work did wind up in a Disney short. A lot of orchestral music comes out of film. The Strauss/Mahler orchestra and orchestrations wormed their way into soundtrack composing. Notably in the work of the Newmans, Alfred, Thomas and Randy.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
What about Ferdinand Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite?
Grofe was a great orchestrator but this composition is, imo, trash.
Also worthy of note is the 9 CD set of R. Strauss featuring Rudolf Kempf with the Staatskapelle Dresden on Warner Classics [used to be EMI].
Wonderful performance also available in DSD (EMI)
13616.jpg

and, my preference, in multichannel (EMI):
AoftQGwWYD2_k5LIEJEra29r2QS-XCxThm4yDsOaH1b8z_6IFflCVNCuLfLGytwP9sZNPXQtBwfRbhTWU-coEbny

The latest (which I have not yet had time for) is from Seattle:
ssm1023-cover.jpg

q3cpma

Major Contributor
It may be a dumb question, but am I right in thinking that a live orchestral recording will always have worse quality (especially background noise) than a "properly" recorded version, all other things being equal?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Grofe was a great orchestrator but this composition is, imo, trash.

Wonderful performance also available in DSD (EMI)
13616.jpg

and, my preference, in multichannel (EMI):
AoftQGwWYD2_k5LIEJEra29r2QS-XCxThm4yDsOaH1b8z_6IFflCVNCuLfLGytwP9sZNPXQtBwfRbhTWU-coEbny

The latest (which I have not yet had time for) is from Seattle:
ssm1023-cover.jpg
I remember the Kempe/Dresden Richard Strauss recordings from their first US incarnation, in "Compatible Surround" discs on Seraphim. The current incarnation on 9 CDs is only $22 from Amazon.

Robin L

Master Contributor
It may be a dumb question, but am I right in thinking that a live orchestral recording will always have worse quality (especially background noise) than a "properly" recorded version, all other things being equal?
You are not right in thinking that. Lots of very highly regarded orchestral recordings are from concerts with audiences. There's usually a bit more electricity in the playing when there's an audience. Most recent recordings are derived from "Live" performances. If there's multiple concerts of the same repertoire [the norm with major orchestras] then patching in the small sections where's there's a cough or two is easy. Among the better known examples of live recordings being a step up from the "studio" [kind of a joke if you think of it, the only studio I know of for orchestras is Skywalker Ranch, most of the rest are churches and concert halls] is Bernstein's Beethoven cycle with the Vienna Philharmonic for DGG. Sound is superior to the earlier Columbia recordings with the New York Philharmonic, performances as well. There are some recordings where there's no patching, though that is rare these days. Having recorded plenty of "Live" concerts, I might just be used to background sounds. I find low-level audience noises a normal sound in the concert environment, much as many folks find surface noise on LPs a normal part of their listening experience.

Robin L

Master Contributor
For me, this is the absolute meisterstück when it comes to symphonic recording
View attachment 90497
The sheer majesty, the scale, the dynamics, the imaging and the absolute power of the music make this the diamond in the crown jewels of audio recording.
Agree, and Kal will no doubt favor the SACD of this, in full surround. The widest dynamics of any recording in my collection.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
If you are referring to the presence/absence of the audience, I find that rarely makes a difference in the results. Some of the best high-resolution, multichannel recordings, imho, are made at "live" events.

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Kal will no doubt favor the SACD of this, in full surround
Of that I have no doubt ;)

There have been a couple of mentions of BIS Records in this thread, a company for whom I've always had the greatest respect. My already profound admiration has gone up a notch or two after reading the very final paragraph of this page

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Of that I have no doubt ;)

There have been a couple of mentions of BIS Records in this thread, a company for whom I've always had the greatest respect. My already profound admiration has gone up a notch or two after reading the very final paragraph of this page
Hard to ignore the kool-aid drinking in "As early as 2000 BIS was one of the first labels to start exploring the potential of DSD (direct stream digital) technology. [...] the quality of the sound reproduction even in 'ordinary' stereo mode, convinced us of the benefits of this technology".

Robin L

Master Contributor
Hard to ignore the kool-aid drinking in "As early as 2000 BIS was one of the first labels to start exploring the potential of DSD (direct stream digital) technology. [...] the quality of the sound reproduction even in 'ordinary' stereo mode, convinced us of the benefits of this technology".
It was easier to find SACDs than DVD-Audio discs when High_Resolution formats first appeared. Not what I'd call snake oil. BIS has always concerned with dynamic range [remember the warning notices on their first CDs?] The benefits of DSD in 2000 were different than current needs and uses. Although the difference between Redbook and DSD might not be audible, extra dynamic range is always welcome at the production stage. I haven't heard any bad BIS discs. Sibelius Symphonies 6 & 7, Tapiola - Osmo Vänskä - Lahti Symphony Orchestra is a particular favorite.

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
Led Zeppelin type of guy asks: :) Can you point me to a great classical piece on Tidal Hifi that is recorded and performed very well. Total classical newbie here, so please give me a easy to digest "gateway drug" :)
For an easy to digest "gateway drug" start with some of the fun pieces, having big dynamic range and varied tone colors. Like Holst planets. This live performance by Colin Davis & LSO is very well recorded, real ear candy.
https://play.primephonic.com/album/0822231102960

The symphonic version of Moussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition is also a fun listen. Big dynamics and lots of tone colors. I particularly like the 1964 Liebowitz / Royal Phil performance originally issued on RCA and reissued by Chesky.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Yeah, it's a great sounding, well engineered recording. But Davis drags on the slow parts. Solti's performance from the late 1970s/early 1980s is more exciting, but the sonics aren't nearly as good.
What other performances would you suggest?

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
so many variables when it comes to finding your "favorite" classical recording of a piece! interpretation, room sound, mic decisions, etc. for instance, I love the sound of these recordings:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_l5YeLMopNT9WQOTjBKq7_zJPei1N1E5Os

but they are from the mid-50s. so digital recordings from 2019 are going to sound clearer, increased dynamic range, etc. but not better, necessarily.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yeah, it's a great sounding, well engineered recording. But Davis drags on the slow parts. Solti's performance from the late 1970s/early 1980s is more exciting, but the sonics aren't nearly as good.
What other performances would you suggest?
I have to work from memory since it has been years since I was able to sit through the whole piece..............................
12914.jpg
6959.jpg
13928.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor
I have to work from memory since it has been years since I was able to sit through the whole piece..............................
12914.jpg
6959.jpg
13928.jpg
Zubie baby!
download.jpg

Also Sir Adrian Boult, in various different performances:
R-1029748-1423004756-5791.jpeg.jpg

R-493833-1394900400-4801.jpeg.jpg

Of course, Led Zeppelin fan would probably get a lot [more] from Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring", too many possible versions for me to mention, though there's a reording by Antal Dorati I keep coming back to:
61qqVhtUNuL.jpg

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Zubie baby!
View attachment 91326
Also Sir Adrian Boult, in various different performances:
View attachment 91327
View attachment 91328
Of course, Led Zeppelin fan would probably get a lot [more] from Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring", too many possible versions for me to mention, though there's a reording by Antal Dorati I keep coming back to:
View attachment 91329
The Boult/EMI is a classic in every way but, as should be evident, I want everything, especially blockbusters, in modern multichannel.

Aaron Garrett

I love the sound of the recent Currentzis Beethoven's Fifth although YMMV. I still think the Curzon London recordings of Mozart's piano sonatas have some of the most beautiful sound I've ever heard -- and the playing isn't too bad to boot.

Top Bottom