• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best spec ADC Chip currently.... ??

Erosenbe

2V rms is nominal, I think. Just a way of saying that these are 'pro audio line level inputs.' Not the actual max voltage.

The 3.36V is your AVDD (typ). That's the analog supply rail. The voltage that will correspond to 0dbFS. As opposed to your digital rail.

The reason you have a DAC is because there is a feedback loop in the delta-sigma converter. The subtraction in the delta stage is the feedback of the digital output, but in order to compare it must be converted back to analog. Something like that.

I can't make too much sense of the bit flags. I don't really do hardware but those defaults don't seem to match . Sorry I can't help too much.

IVX

Major Contributor
The analog supply rail is 4.5VDC, pin#5 mistakenly named "AVCC3V3", as usual )) I understand the idea to have DAC in the ADC device, school-book, but why I need that control? Do I'll ever need turn On all but the DAC? I don't think so. I think this is a modern trend to make in silicon exactly the same as what you developed on the bench on an FPGA, with lots of secondary registers, just in case if need to adjust it again and to save money for reorder next silicon version. Well, it is ok to me but please just hide redundant regs, and give me the typical setup sequence to start my work in 5 min but not 5 yers of trying to hack up your registers like a thief. Do I ask reasonable things or I'm too picky?
I remember I had a similar experience with ST range-meter chip. ST pdfs were way better vs ESS, however, after I did all setup according to these pdfs, the range-meter worked unstably and not precise at all. Next has released errata with the sequence of 40 reg_write(reg#, value) commands where are all 40 registers were undocumented at all. So ST did release the chip first and adjusted that next by hidden registers.

Last edited:

Erosenbe

Right then AVCC is 4.5V external analog supply rail and AVDD is the analog operating voltage internal to the ic, at least under conditions in table shown.

IVX

Major Contributor
almost nothing is right there ;)
2021-01-04_21-36-02.png

RME is currently doing top tier offerings with AK5574 There are motu and a few others offer multichannel versions also with AK5574 but performance is much worse.

Motu M2 uses AK5552VN and the M4 uses AK5554VN and the final performance is worse than the specs, and limited to 192KHz.

Erosenbe

what about that?
Yeah, that doesn't look right. You would have two oscillators to get 44.1x and 48x but also wouldn't ACLK be for a PLL mode clock, if you are taking a clock from digital input or external master rather than generating from a crystal? I think these chips allow that.

Tks

Major Contributor
No wonder ESS makes you sign an NDA. They're basically trying to get free labor to work on their spec sheet docs by way of paying customers beta testing their nonsense.

EDIT: @IVX you making an ADC :D ?

IVX

Major Contributor
Finally, I've got the application info for the ADC ES9822 chip(BTW, I spent 38 days on that! ESS has legendary bad docs and slow response), and I have to confirm the ADC if not perfect then the best at least. Dynamic Range without front-end 125.2db(A) in 2ch mode, 128.3db(A) mono, with the front-end 1db worse i.e. 124/127db(A). THD+N aka sinad -117.2db 2ch and 118.4db in mono mode including the front-end. Very interesting to me looks THD compensation approach in that chip, there are a few LUTs(1 for each channel) 64x16bits where you can implement a complex form of the non-linearity. For example, I did successfully compensate the 5th harmonic of the ADC distortions, it wasn't seriously needed, just like an experiment. Practically, I have implemented low distortion ADC(<-130db harmonics level at -0.5dbfs at all of 8 gain ranges 1.8..10Vrms). In fact, 90x50mm 2 layers PCBA in mono mode outperforms my AP SYS2522 in terms of THD+N/sinad(or equal in 2ch mode!). With a simple 1kHz notch analog filter it outperforms APx555 as well(no surprise actually). The future is already here ;)

Tks

Major Contributor
Lmao legendarily bad documentation. Sounds like ESS alright. Really puzzling how this company maintains clients. Or how they bring in new ones that arent the size or wealth of Fortune 500 companies. They make obviously well performing chips, but man, this customer service sounds terrible.

Anywho I am dying to see this ESS based ADC. Really hope we see it in a product this year.

IVX

Major Contributor
In my experience, it is a typical small company disease, when only one person is a semi-god, and others just a staff from locals.
My problem was my Q&A chain too long. I did ask one Chinese ESS agent, he asked another Chinese ESS agent, this one sends email to the ESS Canadian office, and their front-desk sends my Q to the "design team" which I guess is Martin + a couple of technicians. Now I can send my Q to the Canadian ESS office directly and they do reply during 1-2 weeks. It's still awful but not months.
PS: you really can see that ADC board in this year, see attached ;) In that proto I did not solder XLRs yet but you can see a 2.5mm jack for an AUX 1/4 gain inputs to investigate amps up to 40Vrms.
Untitled-1.jpg

WeChat Image_20210314160417.jpg

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
Lmao legendarily bad documentation. Sounds like ESS alright. Really puzzling how this company maintains clients. Or how they bring in new ones that arent the size or wealth of Fortune 500 companies. They make obviously well performing chips, but man, this customer service sounds terrible.
There is no way I would voluntarily use an ESS component in a design, performance be damned. I see no reason to use anything other than TI DAC and ADC chips for normal audio applications. They perform well enough with some margin, documentation is excellent, and support is available should you need it.

Tks

Major Contributor
There is no way I would voluntarily use an ESS component in a design, performance be damned. I see no reason to use anything other than TI DAC and ADC chips for normal audio applications. They perform well enough with some margin, documentation is excellent, and support is available should you need it.

For "normal" applications, that makes sense. The thing that doesn't, is an assumption that audiophiles are. Now of course, I've not really heard of any audiophiles that are looking to complete their holy stacks with ADC duties (at best, those would be the minority of people who digitize their vinyl collections or something, but we all know you don't need crazy performance for that either).

I have seen people on Youtube (and I assume in the music business) who like to outfit their recording setups with really good performing gear (performance here being a mix of the sort of performance testing we do here, but also equally as primary, the latency figure). Also, with the amount of PC gaming and internet audio communication going on, it's almost detestable to hear someone with garbage quality audio these days.

The nice thing about going something like the ESS route, is it perhaps demonstrates a sort of attention level the designer is paying. They're willing to put up with this garbage executive or corporate policy of a company, with horrible hardware documentation that is guarded for no sane reason. To then put out a product that performs better than most, is the sort of commendable thing people appreciate over someone doing the same old, drag & drop of an off the shelf T.I. or AKM ADC chip that not many folks find to be interesting if the product is trying to fill some other role outside of basic interfaces.

Now as I said, most people interested in home interfaces, are mainly taking manufacturer specs for their word, and just simply considering latency primarily for live feeds to do things like streaming and such. But when you're doing something a little bit funky in terms of form factor and function like IVX is here with his Cosmos product, it's pretty cool seeing someone go this route and still sticking to his performance focused designs even for an ADC, when one would assume that because audiophiles don't really exist in the ADC realm; it would have been more presumed he would have gone the T.I. or AKM route.

So yeah, I agree, I don't know why someone would use ESS for anything normal. But I appreciate some variety of product offerings if we're not going to be seeing a bog standard "normal" product.

Am I making any sense here?