• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best spec ADC Chip currently.... ??

Hotmailhero

@IVX Thanks, still have another question about ES9822:
The REF_L, and REF_R, are internal low noise regulator output pins. But I found even I did not write register to eanble these two regulators. The ADC still work, and I can find that there is internal bias voltage on VIN+, VIN- pins. So the bias voltage performance will determine the ADC performance. But I dont know why there is no bias voltage pins, like Cirrus Logic chip's VCOM pin.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Regarding the noise modulation. Yesterday I did prepare a new version of the 1kHz LPF supposed to be after Cosmos DAC outputs to extreme cleaning up the DAC output in case if that is used as a sine source for measurement purpose. The Cosmos ADC reading THD+N of that super-clean sine as -120.6/-123db 2ch/1ch mode. Even my AP SYS2522 which never shows loopback <-117.5db, with that sine source shows -120.3db. Cosmos APU notch is still limited on THD+N -128db due to its noise, would be nice to improve that down to -130db because I have a feeling that even ESS doesn't really know how low distortions+noise of their products ;)

JensH

What numbers do you get, if you only measure THD, without the noise?

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@IVX do you have any versions of your ADC available yet? Very interested, tried google, no luck.

Evgeniy

The Cosmos ADC reading THD+N of that super-clean sine as -120.6/-123db 2ch/1ch mode. Even my AP SYS2522 which never shows loopback <-117.5db, with that sine source shows -120.3db.

What's ADC you used in it ?

How user can manage attenuation in preamp ?

Last edited:

IVX

Major Contributor
jlesterp, Cosmos ADC is plain ADC not an interface like your Motu. I designed that to calibrate my 9038S/9038D DACs + AUX input for power-amps measurement up to 30Vrms. Cosmos ADC has quite low input impedance especially at the highest gain range down to 680ohm. Not every mic or guitar could be recorded with Cosmos ADC. To be honest, I see no reason to use precise ADC in the recording process, no one musician's source like mic/guitar needs >16bit resolution. hence any kinda Motu is ok.

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yup I'm using my motu M4 for amplifier measurements. :)

jlesterp, Cosmos ADC is plain ADC not an interface like your Motu. I designed that to calibrate my 9038S/9038D DACs + AUX input for power-amps measurement up to 30Vrms. Cosmos ADC has quite low input impedance especially at the highest gain range down to 680ohm. Not every mic or guitar could be recorded with Cosmos ADC. To be honest, I see no reason to use precise ADC in the recording process, no one musician's source like mic/guitar needs >16bit resolution. hence any kinda Motu is ok.

IVX

Major Contributor
The latest renders and proto pics ;)
Cosmos_ADC_front.jpg
Cosmos_ADC_front_transparent.jpg
WeChat Image_20210720212750.jpg

Top Bottom