• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speakers on the market(regardless of type) for up to $10K?

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"sound power should be lower"

What is the benefit of less sound power lower? I can think of one is less SBIR, but room modes seem to be the same. Other benefits like less disturbing for neighbor?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm pretty much decided on the Genelec 8351B or 8361A, i don't want to deal with amps and DACs
Plus the DSP= win
Only concern is what happens in 10 years when the built-in DAC is outdated?
Perhaps you should be looking at either Kef Reference Ones or Revel F226be's, or if you still want actives GGNTKT M1s, are active, have Cardioid dispersion like Kiis and D& D 8Cs, cost around $6.5 K USD, and their electronics which mostly consist of off the shelf Pascal amp modules in a separate case.

Last edited:

brandall10

I'm pretty much decided on the Genelec 8351B or 8361A, i don't want to deal with amps and DACs
Plus the DSP= win
Only concern is what happens in 10 years when the built-in DAC is outdated?

The thing is, as of the last couple years, DACs are a solved/known entity... you might be able to get objectively better performance, but its going to be well outside audibility.

The DACs used in the latest 1 series are objectively okay, not great, so your concern is already here with us now. For some reason this was not an issue for Genelec, and as a package, they put forth some of the top performing solutions at their price point.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
What is the benefit of less sound power lower? I can think of one is less SBIR, but room modes seem to be the same. Other benefits like less disturbing for neighbor?
Nah, I fucked up once more. What I originally wrote is the correct version: direct sound / sound power ratio should be higher, which would give less energy emitted at same on-axis volume.

But I'd like someone who actually knows to validate my intuition.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
In a small untreated room I'd say you want as much directivity control as possible because all reflections will be very early in time, so the smallest speakers like Genelec 8151 and the likes might be massively outperformed by bigger speakers with constant directivity way further down the range.

M2 will be constant directivity down to about 800 hz, Kii and Dutch until about 100 (below Schroeder it doesn't really matter anymore).

M2 you can build yourself/have someone build them for you and have a complete set for around 5k.
Because of greatly superior constat directivity I'd say Dutch is much preferred over say a Genelec 8151.
The Ones actually have some LF directivity control if you lay them on their side. See https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-sub-or-genelec-8050.16882/page-2#post-553828

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The A23M is cheaper than the A25M at B&H what's strange to me is the Black A25M is about $750 more than the red one??

TerryO

I have, for over 40 years, built my own speakers and generally been quite successful. However, I recently bought a pair of Harbeth C7 ES-3 speakers, in Rosewood no less! I have often stated that if I couldn't build a better sounding speaker, I'd buy it (within reason- $$$). It fits my 17 X 14.5 foot room very well and sounds quite nice. Like the old adage about teaching an old dog new tricks, I'm working on an open baffle Radian Coaxial driver on top of an "H" Frame (open baffle) 18 inch woofer for our next diy speaker contest.

Last edited:

Tom Schofield

Look in your classified ads for the best Martin Logan speakers within your budget. People tend to take good care of them and since they are tall they tend to go cheap. They actually take up very little floor space but again are tall, and the bigger ones don't need a subwoofer. Just make sure the prior owner did not have cats. LOL

Docteur Poulet

Forum Donor
Why do you think PSI is popular on Gearslutz but not on ASR?

I don't know, maybe because this is an European company and ASR is mainly American?
They should be popular because PSI has a real scientific procedure, and for proof they give for every individual speaker this paper which is also the warranty
PSI_Audio_001.jpg

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really love the look of these; I just can't see fitting them into a surround setup. But for 2.0, they are probably superb.
I'm using their 45 day trial period and subjectively they are amazing speakers. The bass is unbelievable for a speaker this size. I see no need for a subwoofer with them for music, movies are another story with bombs and volcanoes. I haven't done any measurements with REW but that's on the agenda. Of course that will simply show what they do in my room. I've listened to Dutch and Dutch and I would put the A700 on my short list with them.

Top Bottom