• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speakers on the market(regardless of type) for up to $10K?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
What would you say are the best speakers regardless of type (passive or active or active monitors) on the market for up to $10K?

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Neumann or Genelec
There we go.

Which ones? Mix and match with sub up to your 10k depending on your use case.
I actually meant without a sub
I assume you don't need sub with the D&D 8C for example, obviously i love Genelec also, KH420 would also be great but if they sound dark like KH120 then I'm not so sure about them

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Are we doing nearfield or farfield this time around?

Joecarrow

I actually meant without a sub
I assume you don't need sub with the D&D 8C for example, obviously i love Genelec also, KH420 would also be great but if they sound dark like KH120 then I'm not so sure about them

I think a good number of people would still want a sub with the D&D.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In this price range, at least for a bigish room, I might look at Focal Kanta no. 2 or Focal Spectral 40th, which are 30% off $10k at A4L. Focal Sopra no. 1 if you want passive standmounts for a more normal sized room.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I'm pretty much decided on the Genelec 8351B or 8361A, i don't want to deal with amps and DACs
Plus the DSP= win
Only concern is what happens in 10 years when the built-in DAC is outdated?

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Focal Sopra No. 1 then... maybe Kanta no. 1 as well. They cost less but are a newer design. Finish is not as fancy, but waveguide is probably better.
Also love Focal but they don't measure so well from what i understand on this forum

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I'm pretty much decided on the Genelec 8351B or 8361A, i don't want to deal with amps and DACs
Plus the DSP= win

Then why start the thread?

We have reached peak DAC in quality products. There is objectively nothing more to achieve. I would be more worried about reliability in 10 years.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also love Focal but they don't measure so well from what i understand on this forum
They are among the better passives. Their studio monitors have simple analog crossovers, so they are not like Neuman or Genelec. If you are thinking you want the best possible FR, then yeah, you probably want active speakers from another brand.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
They are among the better passives. Their studio monitors have simple analog crossovers, so they are not like Neuman or Genelec. If you are thinking you want the best possible FR, then yeah, you probably want active speakers from another brand.
Problem is you need some super expensive amp for them.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

It can't go out of date.

My room is small and untreated

Then allocate a sizeable chunk of your budget toward room treatment, or you will be doomed to having expensive, mediocre sound.

Problem is you need some super expensive amp for them.

It's almost like you're trying to get yourself on the ignore list here, @Pearljam5000 :p

Top Bottom