• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best passive bookshelf speaker for about $500

Best Passive Bookshelf Speaker for about $500

• Elac Debut 5.2/6.2

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • JBL Stage 530

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • KEF Q150 (sale price)

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Polk ES20

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Q Acoustics 3030i

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
each or a pair? If each, there are a few missing that you may want to include

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
each or a pair? If each, there are a few missing that you may want to include
Seeing the contenders, it seems pretty clear that it is for the pair.;)

3030i is subjectively my favourite. I would not spend 500$/€ for these, tho. Which leads me to another question: Regarding Hi-Fi, is price negotiation a thing in NA? To me, none of speakers of the list worth 500$/pair.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

3030i is subjectively my favourite. I would not spend 500$/€ for these, tho. Which leads me to another question: Regarding Hi-Fi, is price negotiation a thing in NA? To me, none of speakers of the list worth 500$/pair.
or he's missing a few that he may want to include ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is a Stage 530? You mean Studio series 530? Or Stage 130? Or both? :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sometimes you can negotiate. Usually you're best off just waiting for a sale price somewhere.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Gotta agree with that.. Matter of fact , after some thought i think maybe the polk r200 when on sale at near $500, the revel m16 at sale price and the dbr62 all are better values....

Last edited:

Putter

Forum Donor
Like I suspect most responders who are only familiar with 1 or 2 speakers, I voted for the Kef because that's what I have and therefore am familiar with and like. The caveats are that it is combined with a subwoofer crossed over at 120 hz in a desktop setup and powered by a Denon AVR-X3300W using Audyssey MultEQ XT32 set on flat correction and -15 dB Dynamic EQ.

My general impression of the objective testing is that it is not the flattest with a rising treble although Eq may reduce that and anyway this 65-year-old doesn't hear high treble. I do think that the coaxial design gives it better imaging particularly in a desktop setting, making instruments and voices more realistic to go completely subjective.;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for pointing this out, I made an error. IT IS THE STUDIO 530.
Thought so but wasn't sure. I do have the 530s as rear surrounds, but no experience with the others. Best to determine your own preference I think by some in-home testing....

OP
Steven Holt

Steven Holt

Forum Donor

Flanker, negotiation is a lost art in the States. The general rule over here is, you can't negotiate on new gear, you can only bargain on used.

OP
Steven Holt

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
To all those who participated, thank you very much. Hopefully, this poll will help some of our members select a speaker in this price range, esp. those who are new to this amazing hobby. No one knows this field like our membership, thanks again to all who put your two cents in on my humble little poll.

Top Bottom