• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Best mirrorless camera for sports photography

maxxevv

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Great for street photography in low light when you don't want to push the ISO too much.

I find extremely useful for field sports when the lense is close to heavier than 10lbs. Keeps the camera propped up but don't completely restrict freedom of movement.

Frank Dernie

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
Anyone every used a monopod? I have one someone gave me, and I tried it out in the back yard, but somehow it never makes the trip. Handheld or on the Manfrotto tripod.
I used one with the big heavy tele lenses when I used to use 35mm and 6x6 cameras.
All the motor racing pros I know use one all the time out on the circuit, not quite as good as a tripod but much, much handier.

Frank Dernie

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
I have tripods too, and I use one when needed.
But I agree with Amir here: most of the time, I don't want to.

For inside shots in dark environment, I sometimes use just a ball head (Arca Swiss P0), without the tripod.
That's enough, most of the time, even to hold my 5DSR with the 11-24. I just find a support and I push the head down with 2 fingers on the bottom.

But stabilization is my preferred option, since it gives me greater freedom and allows more creativity.
Capturing photos, that's like music: there is not just one way to appreciate it.
Hand holding won't be a problem with a lens that wide!
I have "85mm eyes" in thet the view I see in my head is similar to the view I get with a 85 or 90 mm lens on a 35mm camera. For me 35mm is wide angle :)
I do have wider and use them from time to time but they seem to be for special effects with interesting perspective distortion to me rather than photography as such.