• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me pick a headphone preamp

DJJAM89

Recently I bought an Aiyima T6 Pro Headphone Pre-Amp. This is paired with a T9 Pro. Together they sound great, but I have a a few gripes that have me looking to return and get something else. I have really only found one that has everything I am looking for so I am coming to you all looking for suggestions. I am willing to replace both the T9 and the T6 is there is a better option.

Budget: as close to $200 as possible, but willing to go up to $400 if there is a real reason. I am into my current combo about $200 (t9 was $134, T6 was $80). Ideally I am not spending more than 400 between the headphone preamp and speaker amp.

Room: Living room open to kitchen in a one bed apartment, maybe 20X25 ft overall space.

Speakers: Currently Sony SSCS3 Floor standing Speakers w/ Sony Powered 10" Sub

Sources: TV, Computer: Optical and USB respectively. I want to be able to listen to both of these through the headphone preamp and send that signal onto my amp through RCA, but better if digital so I am not converting from digital to analog and back before it hits my speakers.

The gripes: I can't leave my headphones plugged into the preamp and switch between output. I can't connect the optical from my TV to the T6 Pro, so I can't listen to movies and stuff through headphones late at night.

- I do need something small because these units sit on my desk and I don't have a large console/space for a power amp; which is why I am not looking into those.

So I am looking at the S.M.L.S M500. It seems to have all the features I want including switching between outputs. I am still in the return window for both the T6 and T9.

Also, is there any benefit to going with separate units vs. something like the AO300 which has a headphone jack.

Last edited:
I can only speak to Aiyima making great stuff. I use the Aiyima a5 pro which was only 50 bucks. Thing is rock solid and sounds great.

Top Bottom