• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Christmas tracks/albums for audiophiles

OP
B

birdog1960

I just listened. The bells don't sound very good.
that's actually reassuring. There's another song with bells that sounds very natural. When I said synthesizer I meant "organ" set up for bells. Still kinda thinking that's it. There's not much resonance to the sound. also, the harps sound very realistic in all the tracks I listened to.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
that's actually reassuring. There's another song with bells that sounds very natural. When I said synthesizer I meant "organ" set up for bells. Still kinda thinking that's it. There's not much resonance to the sound. also, the harps sound very realistic in all the tracks I listened to.
I don't think they're synthesized. Just poorly played. The organ notes on "Come All Ye Faithful" are pretty good. I measured 37Hz and about 26Hz. Mostly 37Hz.

Audioagnostic

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Posted this in the jazz thread, right before this thread started. Blatant repost, cuz why not? Happy Holidays!

Time for holiday cheer, big band version. Here is Joe McCarthy's New York Afro Bop Alliance Big Band (phew) with their 2022 release "The Pan American Nutcracker Suite." The tune below is the "Overture", and below is a link to the full album on YouTube, where you can continue if you enjoy.

Joe McCarthy's ... Big Band, "The Pan American Nutcracker Suite," YouTube link, full album.

Digby

Major Contributor
Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner! No idea what a single word is but it is beautiful. I feel like I'm listening in a castle- not sure why but that's the image.
It is considered an audiophile quality recording, and as you say, it is beautiful too. I think these hymns are available in English. The castle feeling is because it was (presumably) recorded in Stockholm Cathedral, which isn't a million miles away from a castle.

36499804481_13348052d9_b.jpg

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
WDR is a public broadcasting network based in Cologne, Germany. Besides television and radio stations, they sponsor several musical groups, one of which is the well-respected WDR Big Band. The unit is absolutely prolific, and have released over 25 albums since 2013, often in collaboration with jazz stars. Tenor saxophone great Bob Mintzer recently served as band director. With their broadcasting connection, the band continually produces impeccably recorded performances, many of which are available on YouTube. They have put together a playlist of 36 holiday songs, performed live in the studio, recorded over several years, with various sized ensembles. Below is the first song from the playlist, and then a link to the entire play list follows. Enjoy some wonderful, jazzy, holiday music!

WDR Big Band, "Christmas Time," YouTube playlist.

Last edited:
OP
B

birdog1960

WDR is a public broadcasting network based in Cologne, Germany. Besides television and radio stations, they sponsor several musical groups, one of which is the well-respected WDR Big Band. The unit is absolutely prolific, and have released over 25 albums since 2013, often in collaboration with jazz stars. Tenor saxophone great Bob Mintzer recently served as band director. With their broadcasting connection, the band continually produces impeccably recorded performances, many of which are available on YouTube. They have put together a playlist of 36 holiday songs, performed live in the studio, recorded over several years, with various sized ensembles. Below is the first song from the playlist, and then a link to the entire play list follows. Enjoy some wonderful, jazzy, holiday music!

WDR Big Band, "Christmas Time," YouTube playlist.
What's the frequency, Kenneth? What a range of sounds. That thing looks like a brass turducken. What's it called?

Top Bottom