• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Build Quality? Topping vs SMSL vs FiiO vs Sabaj?

Which ChiFi Brand Has the Best Quality

• Topping

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • SMSL

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • FiiO

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • Sabaj

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters

Urushi

I am curious which brand has the best quality?
I've only had a handful of items from SMSL and Topping and honestly none were great fit and finish wise but they sounded good to me and for the price point I can hardly complain. It does worry me that Topping makes so many different similar products. Are they the largest company out of these brands?

I am considering the FiiO K7 vs the Topping DX3 Pro+ vs SMSL C200 vs Sabaj A10d. The FiiO K7 has a CNC'd case which I think should be nicer than the Topping (and SMSL) but I've never experienced their products nor Sabaj.

b7676

They have different factories making the different tiers of devices. Sabaj is one of the more budget factories partnered with SMSL. The biggest market is domestic, never read a suggestion as to who is largest, these are small regional companies. Speaker factories are much more likely to run products for multinationals.

K7 lacks bluetooth but has rca line in and the balanced hp jack. These are the reasons to choose it, but it does seem like the most polished budget box. C200/a10d for the balanced interconnects. Dx3 for smol on desk, with 3.5mm jack???.

E70/L70 are the highest value midrange options. Cheaper than this you should be looking to pair an L30 II with something like a used chord mojo or another used/recertified single ended dac like a Geshelli, d50s, Aune, Khadas. The dx5 lite doesn't make sense.?

DAC/AMP combos that share a power supply must make compromises compared to a similar cost stack.

Last edited:
OP
U

Urushi

What compromises? Are you saying separates will sound better?

b7676

Separates are more cost effective for a given level of competence.
The amps in combos have performance cut to keep the power supply quiet for the DAC.
With combos the customer pays for: A lower-sales-volume product that costs more to engineering and design and thus is also slower to iterate.
The cheapest fullsize "nice" topping box I've seen used is a dx7s for 300$. Dx3pro+ was such a hit I would expect to see a new revision by the holidays.

Last edited:
OP
U

Urushi

How do you know it is a lower-sales-volume product? Especially in the affordable range they are in.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Generally people on this forum don't use the term in your title, as it is rather derogatory in nature.
Might be worth editing it.

mrbungle

It is not derogatory in any way.

OP
U

Urushi

That is ridiculous. It's a great portmanteau like "Japanimation" and there is nothing derogatory about it. Are we allowed to say "Chinese Hi-Fi"?

OP
U

Urushi

I don't see a way to edit my original post.

Admins: If I broke the rules do what you need to do.

Joffy1780

That is ridiculous. It's a great portmanteau like "Japanimation" and there is nothing derogatory about it. Are we allowed to say "Chinese Hi-Fi"?
Why mention it at all? The thread title lists the four manufacturers, isn't that enough?
It is not derogatory in any way.
The last line in Amir's post sums it up really - 'Remember, the test of whether a term is denigrating to another is how the other party feels, not how the person who delivers it does!'.

delta76

Major Contributor
just go with Chinese manufacturers.
I personally don't think the term is offensive, but other people - especially who from Chinese, might. Also, we have this forum as a platform for our discussions, and if we are to engage in the discussions, best to follow the rules. it's not hard to do so.

OP
U

Urushi

Why mention it at all? The thread title lists the four manufacturers, isn't that enough?

The last line in Amir's post sums it up really - 'Remember, the test of whether a term is denigrating to another is how the other party feels, not how the person who delivers it does!'.
It is natural to group things and it is useful in titles.

I am not a mind reader and neither are you. You tell me you are offended by that portmanteau and I believe you. I will tell you that it was not my intention to be offensive in anyway and I trust in good faith that you will believe that. I won't use the term again.

Speech and conversation always run the risk of offense to someone but there is no way around it if you wish to communicate.

Joffy1780

So the title just mentions the manufacturers, then the poll adds in which Chi fi brand has the best build quality? Are these the only 4 manufacturers from China? And I don't think it matters where the manufacturers are from, there is no need to mention it if you've already named the 4 manufacturers you are interested in.
If your poll was about which Chinese manufacturer offered the best build quality then maybe it would make sense, but you've only mentioned 4.
And no, I am not offended, but it is an unwritten rule on the forum, and I am not a Chinese manufacturer, but there are members of this forum who are.

OP
U

Urushi

just go with Chinese manufacturers.
I personally don't think the term is offensive, but other people - especially who from Chinese, might. Also, we have this forum as a platform for our discussions, and if we are to engage in the discussions, best to follow the rules. it's not hard to do so.
Can you direct me to the forum rules? I don't see them as prominently displayed as on other forums.

OP
U

Urushi

So the title just mentions the manufacturers, then the poll adds in which Chi fi brand has the best build quality? Are these the only 4 manufacturers from China? And I don't think it matters where the manufacturers are from, there is no need to mention it if you've already named the 4 manufacturers you are interested in.
If your poll was about which Chinese manufacturer offered the best build quality then maybe it would make sense, but you've only mentioned 4.
And no, I am not offended, but it is an unwritten rule on the forum, and I am not a Chinese manufacturer, but there are members of this forum who are.
I can tell you care about this a lot. What you are saying is that if my poll was about which Chinese manufacturer offered the best build quality I should list ALL Chinese Hi-Fi manufacturers? How many would that be? I picked the four I see most commonly discussed on this forum.

The last thing I would want to do is upset a corporation. Can you imagine? What am I? A monster?

For the record I am Chinese and saying something is "Chinese" is not offensive. I now get that abbreviating Chinese and Hi-Fi into a cute portmanteau, is dicey, my mistake.

If the mods need to intervene that's fine but let's leave it to them. No point in faking some offense for an absent party.

OP
U

Urushi

I have had amps and DACs from all of these brands, NO doubt the sabaj models have been the best built and most reliable. The new Sabaj 2022 cases are outstanding
These look great. Which model do you have. I am tempted by the A10d.

Joffy1780

I can tell you care about this a lot. What you are saying is that if my poll was about which Chinese manufacturer offered the best build quality I should list ALL Chinese Hi-Fi manufacturers? How many would that be? I picked the four I see most commonly discussed on this forum.

The last thing I would want to do is upset a corporation. Can you imagine? What am I? A monster?

For the record I am Chinese and saying something is "Chinese" is not offensive. I now get that abbreviating Chinese and Hi-Fi into a cute portmanteau, is dicey, my mistake.

If the mods need to intervene that's fine but let's leave it to them. No point in faking some offense for an absent party.
Haha no all I meant was you listed the 4 manufacturers you were discussing, then in the poll somehow felt the need to mention chi-fi.
I just meant there was no need to mention where the manufacturers were from, as you'd already mentioned each one by name anyway.

JktHifi

I think FiiO is still ahead of them but slower development now.

I can say the rank:
  1. FiiO
  2. SMSL
  3. Topping
  4. Sabaj

Last edited:
Top Bottom