• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer UMC204 HD Audio Interface Review

Use the inserts on the back and not the inputs on the front. The front inputs go through their special preamps (adding a bunch of distortion.) Using the inserts will bypass those preamps. Note the gain controls on the front will no longer function so you will need to manage the input gain some other way.
Assuming UMC204HD and UMC404HD measure about the same, Line mode on the front inputs and inserts on the back measure similarly according to Julian Krause.

There was at least a 6db to 10db difference on mine, maybe more, but this was last year and I don't have the measurements handy right now. I'm using a 204 for loopback dsp and I couldn't get 80db through the front regardless of line switch position. It's almost at 90db using the inserts with trs to rca adapter cables. So about a 12-13 db difference.

The latest Windows 10/11 driver (v5.51.0) from Behringer appears to (finally!) handle speeds higher that 48kbps. If your experience is like mine, you will get a missing DLL error message on the post-install reboot. If you do, don't panic -- just run the installer one more time and you'll be golden. Then just select your chosen speed in the UMC Control Panel.

First post here so hi everyone.

Already own the 204HD, and ordered an AIYIMA A07 to power a couple of Q-Acoustics 3020i's sitting around (that I never used as surrounds), for a small desktop setup.

I plan on using the 204HD as a DAC so: PC -> 204HD -> AIYIMA A07 -> 3020i

From -the very useful- posts here, it seems that the recommended method of connecting the 204HD to an amp is via the RCA outputs (e.g. 1/2) @ -0.5 dB, correct?

Last edited:
First post here so hi everyone.

Already own the 204HD, and ordered an AIYIMA A07 to power a couple of Q-Acoustics 3020i's sitting around (that I never used as surrounds), for a small desktop setup.

I plan on using the 204HD as a DAC so: PC -> 204HD -> AIYIMA A07 -> 3020i

From -the very useful- posts here, it seems that the recommended method of connecting the 204HD to an amp is via the RCA outputs (e.g. 1/2) @ -0.5 dB, correct?
-3.0 dB :)

Something I haven't seen mentioned in the thread is channel crosstalk. I recently picked up the 4-channel version (UMC404HD) and when I'm sending a -12 db signal into channel 1, I'm seeing a signal at -40 db on unused chans 2-4. Have tried this via both the preamps, and the line-level "insert trick." The bleed levels are the same, either way.

It appears the bled signal is 40 Hz and below, so YMMV depending on how much low-frequency content is present in your source.

Something I haven't seen mentioned in the thread is channel crosstalk. I recently picked up the 4-channel version (UMC404HD) and when I'm sending a -12 db signal into channel 1, I'm seeing a signal at -40 db on unused chans 2-4. Have tried this via both the preamps, and the line-level "insert trick." The bleed levels are the same, either way.

It appears the bled signal is 40 Hz and below, so YMMV depending on how much low-frequency content is present in your source.
Crosstalk is something that we should be measuring everywhere on this forum. I actually sent Amir something about this months ago in regards to DAC performance and told him that for a new test he should be playing different waves on different channels to see if that reduces the performance because they could be using summation knowing the test parameters.

Agreed. In this case, I wonder how much that bleed at reasonable input levels is contributing to distortion that wouldn’t be present on a single-channel test. With the bleed being ~40hz and below, it may not have much audible impact when the unit’s used as a multitrack device, but it seems like there would be significant low end additions/cancellations when used as a stereo DAC.

Browsing other forums, it appears this is likely a design problem with the UMC series, as opposed to a bad unit. Still, I’m surprised more people who use it with a DAW aren’t alarmed when ALL of their input meters are going bonkers from one line-level input.

This is probably a result of the analog stage being a single-supply affair. All the input amps may be sharing the same R/RC voltage divider for virtual ground.

Does anyone know if the distortion at -0dbfs happens for the RCA playback outputs too? Do i have to reduce the output by -3db for both RCAs 1/2 and 3/4 too? Or is it only for the main TRS out? Also is the output voltage the same for TRS and RCA? (1v?)

BEHRINGER UMC204HD sound card is noisy, the high frequency noise is more than 300 millivolts. Floating frequency from 160 kHz to 250 kHz. And it would not be audible if the high frequency was equal in amplitude, but since the signal is lower or higher, there is amplitude modulation and the high frequency is heard as noise. I recorded a video.

BEHRINGER UMC204HD sound card is noisy, headphone output noise is more than one volt.

I listened to this card for a couple days, tested it, and returned it where I bought it.
The only thing that it recorded well, recorded with a dynamic microphone. Maybe only I got such a card, and it did not have an output low-pass filter. Please, who has such a card and an oscilloscope, make the same measurements. Because everywhere they draw beautiful graphs, but in reality it turns out like this. Then I wanted to buy a PreSonus Studio 24c card, I asked the seller to measure the outputs with an oscilloscope, and he wrote that there is a noise of 200 millivolts.

BEHRINGER UMC204HD sound card is noisy, headphone output noise is more than one volt.

My oscilloscope shows and measures correctly, I double-checked it by connecting the oscillator.

Last edited:
Your interface is simply defective if you are getting that much noise.

I routinely use a umc204hd to measure amplifiers and it has no problem getting down to 130 - 140db noise floor using the insert returns as inputs to bypass the Midas preamps.

There is rising hf noise starting around 80khz or so but many dacs exhibit this behavior, i.e. focusrite scarlet is the same, which is beloved by many.

Ruhled

And can you confirm this by recording the same video with an oscilloscope? To make sure, and believe that Behringer UMC204 can be my sound card.

1000001513.jpg

This is 1khz -6db 192khz sample rate looped from left rca output to left trs insert.

These are competent if you can live with the relatively low output swing.

Yours is bad if anything audible is happening.

Last edited:
You must be the one who fed a recording signal from the Behringer UMC204 output to the built-in sound card and recorded that signal. But the built-in sound card does not support high frequencies, please make the same video on the oscilloscope.

I think if I recorded the same test on a rialtec, it would be fine. But I did it on an oscilloscope. And the seller said that they all have such sound cards Behringer UMC204, that's why I didn't replace it with the correct one.

But I did it on an oscilloscope.
I did it on an AP analyzer. Either your unit is broken or you have a measurement error.

No I'm looping the umc204hd back into itself to show how clean the signal path is round trip.

Sorry I'm done here.

I haven't read ALL the posts, but a couple of notes. First I have a 204HD and a 1820 - which has separate power. The 1820 compares well with an SSL BigSIX DAC/ADC - not as good, but good enough. The clipping and saturation on the 204HD is I suspect by design, as musos want to be able to get overdriven performance from mic pres. With that disappearing at lower levels, I suspect that suits the targeted user well.

The 1820 while having a family resemblance is the top model with separate powering and doesn't seem as easy to overdrive, not that I do that (tend to use dedicated Neve-ish hardware for that). Both of them are notably quieter than a Presonus Studio 24C I also use for a secondary machine. But all adequate for use. If I want pristine quality I use the BigSIX. If that's not important I can use any of them.

For the price they are a steal in my view. My other interface would cover buying more than 10 1820s...

Back
Top Bottom