• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beginner questions

MBWORLDZ

Hi there, I am new to this. I only have the B&K Component integrated amplifier.
If I purchase a pre-amp, is it necessary to get a Power Amplifier to put them together ?

I was watching an youtube video earlier JungSon JA-1/JA-99C preamp and power amp combination. The reviewer said it needs to add a DAV to it.
How does it work? The DAC will connect to the preamp itself ?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Yes, you basically can connect a preamp to an integrated if you need to for whatever reason - I'm just confused because among all the things B&K has produced, there doesn't seem to be a single integrated amp, although they've apparently made plenty of power amps along with several preamps and AV controllers as well as AV receivers...?! Which model are we talking about exactly? Don't be shy giving details here, we're not afraid of them despite the proverbial devilish surprises that may lurk within. ;)

If a preamp does not contain a DAC, one will have to be added externally, assuming the existing analog outputs of components involved are not sufficient in performance or troublesome.

What is the problem you're trying to solve anyway - which kinds of source(s) are supposed to interface to what kind of loudspeakers? What sort of creature comforts would be desirable? Some sort of available budget, perhaps?
(It's always frustrating to be thrown a bone along the lines of "I want to do X", with no explanation as to why that would be deemed necessary in the first place. What would your doctor say if you were asking for something random like, I don't know, a heart transplant out of the blue? Yeah, "*confused look* ... but why?" seems about right.)

Top Bottom