• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bedroom stereoamp and internet radio, USB disc (flac) player ?

bh69

Lower price, no highend but good, clean relaxing sound, sufficient even for classical music, clarity of the spoken word.
Internet radios, USB storage player (mp3/FLAC), FM and DAB+ would be nice, but not a prerequisite.
Remote control, stable and easy to choose radio channels or USB media (even without to check display).
Probably with some on wall speakers (Dali ? DIY ?)

Any suggestions, please?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Find a second hand Yamaha R-N402D (500$ new) for half the price if you can.
You will get: great FM tuner, DAB, internet radio, streaming (local and over Internet), front USB A port (support only FAT - FAT32 and can feed up to 1A 5V)... And above everything else a good quality and performance class AB power amplifier (100W @ 8 Ohm's THD 1%). You will most of the time control it from the phone with MusicCast app, remote is OK (even it doesn't look so) while layer and complicity is bad.

Last edited:
OP
bh69

bh69

Find a second hand Yamaha R-N402D (500$ new)
Thanks, this is a receiver I have considered (even the original price is still acceptable, although slightly beyond the limit).
But some people complain about a bit cold/analytic sound (can be tiring ?) and some problems with internet radios (is it able to add any radio url or only over some service ?).

I do not want control via mobile phone for more reasons, the condition is trouble-free controllability via IR controller. I'm afraid Yamaha will probably won't meet this ?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
It has analog input stage so you can add a bit of distortion if that makes you happy. Trogh the service only (to my better knowledge). Interface isn't the best for sure and you will definitely want to do it trogh phone (at least until you select favourite and such). It really won't work satisfactory on any of these with small in bilt display (which is great majority of all such present on the market) any other way.
Screenshot_20220121-142758.png
Remote:
DSC_0398.JPG
You cycle through NET buttun between streaming functions.
DSC_0399.JPG
And of course you need a rooter in order for that (streaming) to work.

Last edited:
OP
bh69

bh69

Thanks. Not sure it's what I'm looking for. This is too big gear for silent bedroom listening and I would prefer something more flexible too ... Probably only way is DIY (Rapsberry with DAC/amp board).

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well it is what it is. I am happy with it and it's actually simple as it can get for a streamer. I wanted a deacent amp and rest of functionality whose a bonus in my case. I don't believe you will find more complete package for the less money (especially with a good FM tuner this day's).
If there whose a SoC - SoM worthy of DSP development I would consider it (Pi definitely ain't it as Brodcom Vcore documentation disappeared long time ago). As I am hire on rehab from IT.
Have a nice time and enjoy.

Last edited:

audio2design

Major Contributor
DOH! .... started typing this hours ago, but just hit send and you just listed you don't want phone control!

Do you really need USB storage? Have not touched one in probably 10+ years.

1) Don't discount Sonos for ease of use

2) You can pick up an older, but not old receiver for <$100 and add a Google Chromecast or Amazon Firestick for next to nothing.

3) You can use a combination of your phone and a Google Home or Amazon Echo for your control functions.

In my house I have a combination of "big" system - variety of connections, small system - receiver/chromecast, Sonos,and Echo-Dot with 3.5mm out to an amp/speakers, and even a Google Home bluetooth out to a bluetooth speaker. 128gb on the phone with 64GB dedicated to music portability. Tune-In and RDio for internet radio. Amazon music and Spotify, with Amazon music to be dumped in a heart beat once Spotify offers HD.

So ... with the phone out, I still think the IR remote in 2022 is retro-painful, i.e. the pain is not worth it. Google and Amazon home control screens are infinitely more useful, and you can couple that with a Google Home (NEST home) or Echo Dot. Echo Dot out to a $50-100 offshore off Amazon amp will give you surprisingly good sound.

OP
bh69

bh69

ad phone control

1/ I have no wifi at home and don't plan to have (I want have my home free from electronic polution)

2/ for bedroom music I want simple choose internet radio button and number of channel, or DAB button and channel or play USB from last position. Even in dark, without to stare into screen light.

ad USB drive - I have many FLAC files and want to copy them on flash stick and simply insert into hifi and play. Why to make thing complicated ?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
ad phone control

1/ I have no wifi at home and don't plan to have (I want have my home free from electronic polution)

2/ for bedroom music I want simple choose internet radio button and number of channel, or DAB button and channel or play USB from last position. Even in dark, without to stare into screen light.

ad USB drive - I have many FLAC files and want to copy them on flash stick and simply insert into hifi and play. Why to make thing complicated ?
Realy and how you plan to do that with Pi SoM?
I respect what you want but you do know that is not really possible (being in IT sector even more so).
You could set up temporary WiFi rooter, deal with companion app or Web interface as long as you must until you find, tune and associate network radio, DAB, FM... to the actual presets then disable WiFi, use cable to connect it to rooter and use only IR remote to switch them as you initially liked.
Most folks find least complicated to use phone over WiFi and Spotify app directly at this day and age.

OP
bh69

bh69

What is SoM ? I don't understand what is not really possible ?

I assume that Pi can be supplemented with an IR remote control and then program the required actions. I admit that I have no experience with Pi, but I use a similar remote control with my Windows PC, using the EventGhost utility. This allows me to control internet radio or video playback.

But, of course, I would much rather find a ready-made receiver than go the uncertain and complicated way of building my own solution with an uncertain outcome.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
SoM is a short for system on main board which all development board's are.
It won't be a uncertain outcome, it's not that hard but it would take time and effort... and all.
Good luck in your quest.

OP
bh69

bh69

Rapsberry 4B with HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro XLR looks good - with actives (for example KRK Rokit 5g4 or PALMER STUDIMON 5) it can be cheap and flexible solution for bedroom or kitchen listening.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
OP
bh69

bh69

yes, but its open system so it would be possible to use another remote controller and add a touchscreen to exclude need of smartphone, won't be ?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You will find out those will be display, and remote RF or BT keyboard and mause and far from simple to use or setup.
It's a cat and mause game really.

OP
bh69

bh69

I'm programmer for more than 30 years (C, java, php ..) so if it's possible and properly documented it must not be such problem.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Mijau and yes of course.
Hope this point's you in a right direction.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Here is a review by Amir.
It doesn't say much about functionality. It's remarkable how we so far didn't find any broken (with small quirks yes) device (as there is considerable amount mesured so far) with CS43131 (CS43198).

Last edited:
Top Bottom