• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bass heads dance more but don't know why.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Sub-sub woofers will be the latest thing in ' fully immersive' HT installs.

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
elainedances.gif

Cars-N-Cans

Scientists say when very low frequency (VLF) sound was introduced during a live electronic music event, gig-goers moved more even though they could not hear the frequencies.
I think we need transducers that can generate supersonic shock waves at future raves. A beat that drops so hard it literally puts you square on your ass. That will truly ensure that they "move more" regardless of whether they are conscious or not.

Cars-N-Cans

Sub-sub woofers will be the latest thing in ' fully immersive' HT installs.
Or they could be like the knobhead down the road from me who has external subwoofers with a passband from 40-55 Hz in his pickup truck bed. No venting into the cab, of course. Just a factory head unit and speakers in there. Since he cant afford a true competition system he just fakes it and annoys everyone in a three-mile radius with two solitary bass notes over and over again. Why argue over a few dB of extra bass when you can just shelve the whole thing a full 60 dB above everything else :rolleyes:

I wish we could normie-proof hi-fi gear. The world would be a much better sounding place rather than having to worry about pulling my eardrums out of my bum the next time I go to a club or something because of some "study." I think there is indeed merit to that as VLF have been shown to induce agitation psychologically, but its not something I'd want to have to endure constantly, especially once idiot DJ's get ahold of them. Edit: Not to say contrabass subs are necessarily wrong, but like everything it just gets way overdone to saturation and beyond.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
An interesting read... although I don't feel it's anything new exactly, but good to attempt to quantify it. Being able to "feel the bass" is pretty common at massive electronic music events... to the point where people would become unwell after being in front of the bass bins for too long. Some even felt it was messing with their heart... although that could have been other things. If the sound is not enveloping enough, people won't dance... as much.

Definitely a good reason that people like bass heavy music... dance to the groove, feel your body move, oh yeah. :cool:

JSmith

Cars-N-Cans

Also reminds me of Madonna's Into the Groove:

♪ ♫ Get into the groove, Boy, you've got to prove, Your love to me, yeah, Get up on your feet, Yeah, step to the beat, Boy, what will it be? ♪♫

I don't know why I just listened to that, again. It was bad enough having to endure it in my Mom's Datsun 510 as a kid. It's super catchy, but in a really cancerous way in that it gets stuck in your head no matter what.

JSmith

Master Contributor
@Emlin, it seems there was already a thread before you started this one;
It's a popular topic it seems. :)

JSmith

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Been done for years in the Sub Club in Glasgow with It’s subsonic frequency dance floor and exceptional sound system, my fav club and for 3 years running I never missed a Sunday night with Optimo

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Been done for years in the Sub Club in Glasgow with It’s subsonic frequency dance floor and exceptional sound system, my fav club and for 3 years running I never missed a Sunday night with Optimo
Gave me a warm feeling to learn that it’s still open.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
First thoughts were of classical music fans going "what?". Love a good bass line, definitely helps to get me on the dance floor. Not exactly rocket science here.

GaryH

Major Contributor
First thoughts were of classical music fans going "what?". Love a good bass line, definitely helps to get me on the dance floor. Not exactly rocket science here.
Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture:
index.php

Top Bottom