• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bass heads dance more but don't know why.

tuga

Major Contributor
Maybe if they low pass the audio band completely I might finally be able to listen to electronic music...

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So what now? Sealed woofers and sealed rooms for bass to DC to make us move more? :) Back to those record players, LF sound, and pumping woofers?

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So what now? Sealed woofers and sealed rooms for bass to DC to make us move more? :) Back to those record players, LF sound, and pumping woofers?
I guess for below 1 Hz they will be hooking the audio up to the VFD controllers in the HVAC air handlers, block the return air, open the economizers and presto: Bass right down to DC, just like those rotary subs. Used to get that when I worked in the HVAC industry doing site surveys and the air balance was all off to hell and the building would be pressurized like a tire. Had to be careful when using the automatic door break-outs or the doors would swing open so fast they'd be in danger of breaking the glass.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
This study is officially published here, and they have the image below regarding the study. I'm calling BS on the 35 Hz spike (C) every 2 minutes being inaudible, especially considering several of them are also substantially higher amplitude according to the VLFs Full audio time graph (D).

gr1_lrg.jpg

Cars-N-Cans

Thats not "VLF on." Its "we fixed the crappy bass response, and now people like it better." They made the bass extension (or frequency content of the audio) look more like what you get with high-end speakers. Not surprisingly, people like it better. I know I would. To be proper, the response should be the same above about 25 Hz for both cases, and then VLF extension added to take it down, to, say 10 Hz or so. That way in both cases the actual audio heard doesn't vary.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They should have cut out the 20-40 hz VLF as control. Although I think sensation/pressure/vibration is rather high below 40 Hz while audibility drops quite steeply. Especially due to masking.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
First thoughts were of classical music fans going "what?". Love a good bass line, definitely helps to get me on the dance floor. Not exactly rocket science here.
Mixing a nice waltz with a beat down to subsonics could be interesting! :facepalm::p

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An earth shaking article in the Guardian.

The elephant in the room?
If the room is a nightclub then there are lots of elephants. You can feel them!

This is not news. Sub-bass at dancefloors has been used since the 70s. 50 years ago! RLA (Richard Long) installed shakers to the Studio 54 dance floor and then at Paradise Garage in the 70s. The letter has been voted the best sound system at a nightclub ever since. The shakers were fed via a dbx Subharmonic Synthesizer, the precursor to this.

Richard was a visionary, a great audio guy, and a gentleman. When I met him and queried about the Studio 54 system in the early 90s, he was as open as one can be, explaining every details of the systems he designed & built twenty years prior. I then helped a friend who was installing the sound system at the original Ministry of Sound in London to implement the shakers. That was 30 years ago.

Some researchers finally have analysed the phenomenon.

Adaboy4z

I must have sub bass in my car. Once I heard my uncles custom install in the late 80's as a teen ( two 12 inch woofers) I was hooked.
"Bass How low can you go"

Top Bottom