• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bargain DAC Suggestions?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Thinking about it, I can't remember if I planned that or not, because I didn't have anything with an Optical input at that date.

Musically I still had only a CD player, a pair of pots, amplifier and speakers.

While moving into this house, April, 2010:

upload_2017-7-29_3-33-8.png

upload_2017-7-29_3-32-17.png

I know I wanted twin ethernets to play with. Maybe it came along with those.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/X58_Platinum_SLI.html#hero-overview

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My mobo has Optical Out because I picked one that had it onboard. I use a cheap 25 foot cable.

My 5 year plan I7 build is now in its ninth year. (Wow, is that right?)

win7:

Original Install Date: 10/27/2009, 16:47:23 PM

Yeah, I built it toward the end of 2008 and retried linux Deja Vu and ran Hasta La Vista for a year.

Yeah for awhile lots of mid-level or better MBs had optical out. Doesn't seem as common as at one time though they are still available. This person had bought the MB last year and it was a good unit just no optical out.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Oops, forgot to check for underwear reflections, there.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
There's my old favorite speaker cables.

NEC branded coaxial ethernet distribution cable ripped out of the office ceilings during some upgrade of the networks.

About 12AWG solid center conductor with some nice white foam and unused shield and fancy yellow jacket, with some ferrite clamps (I have a bunch of those).

upload_2017-7-29_3-43-30.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Oh, they were enhanced (just in case) with some RG-6 from some rolls for making DS3 patches in the lab... I forgot about that...

upload_2017-7-29_4-0-2.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, they were enhanced (just in case) with some RG-6 from some rolls for making DS3 patches in the lab... I forgot about that...

View attachment 7940
Looks like they could use a little more clothing too. :)

Heatshrink around the exposed parts. They are just a little unintended rotation away from shorting well out. I speak from experience.

D

Deleted member 65

My guess is if it comes from Switzerland they unload the slo-boat from China before shipping it to Thomann.

BTW, was recommending for someone who needed optical inputs the Asus DGX PCI-E sound card because it has optical out. It has okay specs for sound and I wonder if it would be an alternative for cheap sound with a computer source. I knew someone using the optical out, and that it worked well. I would test it, but they no longer have that machine. I know most sound cards like this are prone to leak noises form the workings of the computer. But Asus Xonar Essence cards are a different thing. Of course they are $200+ unlike this $50 or so card.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132052

This $100 Asus Xonar DX has 116 db SNR, does toslink output too.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006

Installed this in my sons PC a few years back, he's very happy with SQ.

upload_2017-7-29_16-43-55.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Only SPDIF inputs, though at that price point it might be a wise choice.
I knew someone using the optical out, and that it worked well
My 5 year plan I7 build is now in its ninth year. (Wow, is that right?)
Same here, my 5 year build Core 2 Quad Q9550 was figured to be long gone, but still never felt the need.
The Gigabyte EP45 MB has optical and fills my needs to feed the Emo DC-1
(I'm so ashamed Amir) ;)
Maybe something that runs silent?
But how do I get rid of the refrigerators noise?

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just retired my AMD Brazos (E350) based system with Windows 7 Pro that I put in to use in 2009. I simply replaced it to be proactive. It worked just as well as the day I put it in. I have the 96GB SSD to thank for that in part.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a system I would like to see an audiophile beat using all the 'audiophile' grade DAC's, Cables, Amps and come even within 150% of the cost:

Amp Yamaha P2500S $429
DAC Behringer UHD404HD $99
L/R: JBL LSR6332 $3200 / pair
HSU ULS-15MK2 at $1600 / pair
Belkin Gold 3 foot USB cable $7

For under $5500 that will run with a lot of $30K 'audiophile' setups.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Same here, my 5 year build Core 2 Quad Q9550 was figured to be long gone, but still never felt the need.
The Gigabyte EP45 MB has optical and fills my needs to feed the Emo DC-1
(I'm so ashamed Amir) ;)
Maybe something that runs silent?
But how do I get rid of the refrigerators noise?

I picked up a Lenovo home server a couple years back. It was something stupid cheap like $285 with a terabyte spinning drive, 8 gig of RAM and DVD disc drive included. Lenovo built their own pretty decent motherboard around an upper end I5 laptop CPU. Lots of ins and outs and USB 3.0 ports and display ports etc. It uses very little power (45 watts) and though there are fans you can't hear them unless the room is silent and you are within about 1 foot of the box. Has room for several hard drives too. The catch is no OS included which to us Linux guys is a plus.

Now I don't know if those are still around, but if you want a silent box with at least a little computing muscle beyond a NUC or something you might look for one.

They ship a moderate sized box. You connect mouse, keyboard, monitor, load up your favorite linux distro and away you go.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Now I don't know if those are still around, but if you want a silent box with at least a little computing muscle beyond a NUC or something you might look for one.
They ship a moderate sized box. You connect mouse, keyboard, monitor, load up your favorite linux distro and away you go.

Just curious, not quite the spec you quote but?
They do state,
"Whisper-Quiet-At 26 decibels, the acoustics of the TS140 are 40 percent quieter than its predecessor and impressively quiet for any server"
Something like this,?https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...VgRCBCh0riw5eEAQYBCABEgIL1vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just curious, not quite the spec you quote but?
They do state,
"Whisper-Quiet-At 26 decibels, the acoustics of the TS140 are 40 percent quieter than its predecessor and impressively quiet for any server"
Something like this,?https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...VgRCBCh0riw5eEAQYBCABEgIL1vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/ThinkServer-...1501467812&sr=8-1&keywords=lenovo+home+server
Same price only with 8 gig of RAM.

I think this is the same machine with 8 gig of RAM even a bit cheaper at $264.

https://www.amazon.com/Flagship-Len...rd_wg=e2iiR&psc=1&refRID=B2B1J7DM3NG5A1B821HY

Yes, basically like the machine I have. I was mistaken mine is an i3 rather than i5. I was thinking it was an i5 because it shows quad cores, but that is really dual cores with hyper-threading.I purchased it between Christmas and the end of the year so maybe that is why the hard drive was included. That is a nice performing machine which is very quiet. Mine has a 4130 instead of 4150 CPU which amounts to mine running at 3.4 ghz instead of 3.5 ghz. I think it has the same 280 watt power supply. Still a pretty good workhorse desktop for not much money.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay Sal just for you, I measured the sound of the Lenovo server T140.

With my AC off, with my fridge not currently running, in the middle of the room I measured a fluctuating 33-34 db with a Miidio noise app on my phone. My phone will roll off below 200 hz, but for these purposes that actually is fine. Sitting at the keyboard with the Lenovo on the same surface to my right about 18 inches I measured the same exact thing. Moving the phone in front of the opening for the front where a slow turning sits at 6 inches distance I measured a 1.5 to 2 db increase. Moving behind the server where I have several feet of space, I also measured 1.5 to 2 db increase when I moved to within 6 inches of the two slow moving fans on the rear of the machine.

Using a different app with a frequency analyzer readout the noise what little of it there was is a more or less broad white noise type of sound profile. So this isn't as silent as fanless, but it is pretty darned quiet.

Here is a view of the inside. The 450 Watts PS is only if you get the Xeon processors.
TS140-Internal.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Okay Sal just for you, I measured the sound of the Lenovo server T140.
D, Well thank you kind sir for the investigative work.
They do seem to be pretty dang quiet and would offer a great platform for an inexpensive music server.
Way more than enough power to support most any of the media players.
Unless your one of those CA guys upscaling everything to 150x DSPCX in real time.
Thanks again for the presentation. ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
One thing I like about true silent PC is reliability. With no fans, there is no dust being pulled in, fans going bad, etc. My media center PCs that I built before with fans only lasted 2 or so years before dying.

D

Deleted member 65

One thing I like about true silent PC is reliability. With no fans, there is no dust being pulled in, fans going bad, etc. My media center PCs that I built before with fans only lasted 2 or so years before dying.

Using my small air compressor on a regular basis.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Note plugging in a graphics card with a fan would increase the noise (shouldn't need one for this application). And SSDs will be quieter than HDDs. I am starting to research some sort of solution for connecting a HDD (may go to SSD) to my pre/pro (Emotiva XMC-1) since I have network issues (dropouts) streaming through my SONOS connect (poor wireless connectivity). I was thinking a local USB drive would do it, but like many AVRs (etc.) the XMC-1 will not read from a HDD. Blah. Rather not add a media PC but haven't decided on the best solution.

p.s. A vacuum is a better solution than a blower (compressor) most of the time, though it is sooo satisfying to see the dust bunnies fly. And you need an anti-static vacuum nozzle, either designed that way or DIY with a ground wire/screen.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Using my small air compressor on a regular basis.
Yes, you might want to try cleaning your PC on occassion, or having "one of your people" do it. ;)
My big tower the does double duty as my music server and all the heavy computing chores. It's been running for 9+ years now without a hitch.

Top Bottom