• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bargain DAC Suggestions?

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is the exact DAC I am receiving on Tuesday :D. The RME ADI-2 DAC.

So how do you like it?

Anyone know who is selling this in the US?

Sylafari

So how do you like it?

Anyone know who is selling this in the US?

I love the features it provides as for the subjective sound impressions I’ll give some once I have more time with it (probably make a thread on it).

For the US, I bought it from Zenpro Audio.

sssn

amirm, could you test the Schiit Fulla 2? It'd be interesting if it's as crappy as the Modi 2 or Fulla 1.

Dismayed

I'm in the process of cleaning out my Schiit. I have experienced distortion caused by computer activity when using an earlier version of the Bifrost DAC, so it was nice to see that Amir had verified that behavior. But at least Schiit components have held their value pretty well, which is a testament to their marketing. So now I have a Teac DAC that seems to work perfectly.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
amirm, could you test the Schiit Fulla 2? It'd be interesting if it's as crappy as the Modi 2 or Fulla 1.

I haven't had one in my hands, but I have read of people on other forums complaining of noise from the computer with the Fulla 2.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb-dac-recommendation-to-solve-noise-issues.861388/

Also read of a similar problem on a pro sound forum. If I remembered which one I would point you to the posts on it.

I think the best policy is to avoid Schiit whenever possible.

sssn

Nice. Either it's good or we'll have extra salty Schiit fanboys' tears again.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not going to be good. Perhaps after this DAC tests horribly, I propose closing the book on Schiit, at least for purposes of ASR measurements, and focus on testing the sometimes excellent stuff emanating from Shenzhen.

The two Topping DACs that Amir has tested have been genuine discoveries. I'm considering getting a DX7 to replace my Mytek 192 DSD, which has horrendous Windows 10 drivers.

I agree completely. Far too many of the Schiit products have some little gotcha glitch, and non-notable performances. Exceptions being those notable for poor performance. In my mind we know what we need to know. There are plenty of devices equal to or better than Schiit. Schiit isn't careful to deliver thoroughly good performance in its devices.

Dismayed

I agree completely. Far too many of the Schiit products have some little gotcha glitch, and non-notable performances. Exceptions being those notable for poor performance. In my mind we know what we need to know. There are plenty of devices equal to or better than Schiit. Schiit isn't careful to deliver thoroughly good performance in its devices.

It is a shame since better performance could easily have easily been designed into their products.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Schiit , it’s all in the name.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well, a member is shipping me a Schiit BiFrost Multibit Gen 2 too. So soon our home will be House of Schiit!

Rats, I just realized another member was loaning me the Schiit Fulla 2 just the same! So I will now have two of them. :( More Schiit than I know what to do with.....

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Christmas was finished a month ago...

Quit shopping!

Wombat

Master Contributor
Well, a member is shipping me a Schiit BiFrost Multibit Gen 2 too. So soon our home will be House of Schiit!

Rats, I just realized another member was loaning me the Schiit Fulla 2 just the same! So I will now have two of them. :( More Schiit than I know what to do with.....

Fulla Schiit - they must have a sense of humour.

If you collect any more of their stuff you risk redefining shithole. :confused:

sssn

The worst thing about Schiit is its agressive, disingenuine marketing and the rabid, toxic fanbase.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The worst thing about Schiit is its agressive, disingenuine marketing and the rabid, toxic fanbase.

I guess when the schiit hits the fan, the fan sometimes becomes a rabid fan of schiit.

I agree with @soundArgument, not much added value proving schiit stinks unless you are having fun with this.

sssn

I think there is value because people who are new to the headphone (or audiophile) market are swamped with Schiit recommendations

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I guess when the schiit hits the fan, the fan sometimes becomes a rabid fan of schiit.

I agree with @soundArgument, not much added value proving schiit stinks unless you are having fun with this.
There’s more to the mounting pile of schiit than meets the eye ;)

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Are these DACs just being built to measure, or are they for listening to music?

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor

Vel, you will get to actually hear vhat a good multibit dac sounds like.

Top Bottom