• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

B&W 800D4 series

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lmaooo yeah fa sure! Had to puty autox and track day hobby to the side so av was the choice lolol. Nice zo6?
Good call, you'll live longer.

I hope you had your fun, but these days, racing simulators are getting better and better.
You can still work on your skills and have fun without worrying about flying off the track at 120mph. ;):cool:

Dreamps

Good call, you'll live longer.

I hope you had your fun, but these days, racing simulators are getting better and better.
You can still work on your skills and have fun without worrying about flying off the track at 120mph. ;):cool:
You are absolutely right! Looking into a fanatec podium setup so it works with PC and consoles. Yeah gave up the car for now with a 3 year old and an 8 month old.

That grand sport is a beauty!

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are setup temporarily at my job to break in. Amps are conditioned by Niagara 5000, power cables are blizzards from amp to 5000 and tornado HC from 5000 to wall outlet. Speaker cables are thunderbird and Thunderbird bass. Xlr cables from preamp to amps.View attachment 225693View attachment 225681
Speakers are nice. Get rid of the conditioners (can’t help, might hurt) and sell the power cords (total scam/waste of money).

I dare you to measure them before and after break in and show us the difference.

You’ll find the ASR community has little patience for colored smoke and hand-waving, my friend.

Dreamps

Speakers are nice. Get rid of the conditioners (can’t help, might hurt) and sell the power cords (total scam/waste of money).

I dare you to measure them before and after break in and show us the difference.

You’ll find the ASR community has little patience for colored smoke and hand-waving, my friend.
I know it's not everyone's thing but I will later on. I also have a set of rocket 88s I can try.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know it's not everyone's thing but I will later on. I also have a set of rocket 88s I can try.
Sure, test them using REW against generic zip chord and let’s see what $1500 of speaker wire gets you.

Dreamps

If I cared I would, if I hear the difference in a blind test so be it.

I have the conditioner only to protect the monoblocks from surges. Not plugging the amps directly into the wall.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Good lord, why do people not know that measurable does not always mean audible? Further, not all research is equal in quality and a single study, unless it is so well done with a very large sample size (or several replications) means very little.

delta76

Major Contributor
Good lord, why do people not know that measurable does not always mean audible? Further, not all research is equal in quality and a single study, unless it is so well done with a very large sample size (or several replications) means very little.
he probably knows. he just tries to mislead his followers (here's your SCIENCETIFIC research, cables MATTER)

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
801D4 reviewed and measured by Audio PL.

74295-bowers-and-wilkins-801d4signature-lab1.jpg

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting the article notes - as B&W has generally recommended for decades - to not toe-in the speakers. This perhaps sends more energy to room reflections and less direct HF to listeners. While B&W bashers often object to harsh or exaggerated HF, this difference versus most other speakers AFAIK isn’t really addressed in Toole’s preference research or other testing. I’d like to hear other perspectives.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even with zero toe in, that is, both speakers firing straight into the room perpendicular to the front wall, that would be the yellow 30° curve above, which is still bright and has a severe dip at ~2.6 kHz.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even with zero toe in, that is, both speakers firing straight into the room perpendicular to the front wall, that would be the yellow 30° curve above, which is still bright and has a severe dip at ~2.6 kHz.
Yes, the yellow line, and surely intentional as well. Not super bright though, perhaps +2-3 dB v 1k Hz and 40-90 Hz. I'd also point out a lot of B&W 801 buyers are over 40, perhaps over 50, and their hearing is compromised in HF, so a bit of extra clarity and width in the soundstage might be welcome.

Penelinfi

B&W sound, airy treble with non harsh upper mid. Little bit of warmth in bass and mid, but trying to retain clarity.
When I had my first pair of Kevlar b&W, I thought "this sounds like hi-fi; detail, depth, non harsh"
As time goes on I heard the colouration better after listening to many speakers and headphones. Wasn't a big fan of the new 606 as that seemed to introduce some strident sound that the older series didn't have. Maybe need a crossover change as it's first order on those

Top Bottom