• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do we need power apm for B&W 703 S2Speakers

nraviraju141

I am using Denon AVR 4800H receiver, planning to buy Bower and Wilkins 703 S2 Speakers, can I play my speakers with the current Denon AVR 4800 H receiver.
or do i need extr power amp for B& W speakers.
please advise

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I am using Denon AVR 4800H receiver, planning to buy Bower and Wilkins 703 S2 Speakers, can I play my speakers with the current Denon AVR 4800 H receiver.
please advise
Why B&W?

Power requirements depend strongly on your desired „loudness“ (SPL in dB) and listening distance. So if you could provide those along with the sensitivity of the speaker and ideally its impedance curve.

See here for starters

But you need to consider the impedance and the peak SPL you want.

Last edited:
OP
N

nraviraju141

Sensitivity is 89 and my room area 13*15 feet, listening distance is approximately 10 to 11 feet.
i am getting good deal for those speakers.

Svend P

They measure quite poorly, so odds are you will like something more neutral better. Maybe a set of Wharfedale Lintons and a subwoofer? That would also help the Denon, since it will not need to play the lowest frequencies.

This thread will offer some more insight

Jpert

please advise
I’ll provide my subjective experience since I owned those speakers for a period of time in a 700 series setup in a similar size room. With careful placement I got a pleasing sound out of them (to me) even in comparison to the more neutral speakers I currently run. Just a little different. I haven’t listened to the 702s referenced above to compare.

The mid to upper bass is a difficult range for those speakers (low impedance/difficult phase angles) despite them being 8 ohms nominal. If you plan on driving them above say -15 to -12 dB at that distance, you will probably notice the benefit of an external amp. I compared a mid-range receiver, that receiver + power amp (Anthem MCA 325), and a Denon flagship receiver and the mid-range/power amp combo provided the most relaxed presentation (less fatigue) above those levels (flagship Denon was close and some may say the same). I had my wife test for me blindly since I have a bias for shiny new things. Adding a sub will help, but you have to raise the crossover quite a bit to mitigate the worst problems.

Mydogiscuter

Excuse me I just got the same speakers but can you please tell me did you bi amp or bi wire them or neither?

Would you mind sharing exactly how they are wired?

What was your final setup?

Lastly, did you go with the 4800 primarily because of Dirac? I'm thinking of saving the 300 and just going with the 4700. Any answers you could provide would be very helpful, thank you.

Top Bottom