• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVR alongside with Tube Amplifier?

bplatypus

Hi!

I wanted to know if it's possible to have 2 amplifiers with only 1 pair of speakers?

I would like to have a tube amplifier to listen to music alongside with my AVR (Denon x6700).

My current setup is:
Apple TV/Shield (hdmi out) -> Denon (rca out) -> Power amp -> Speakers

How could I integrate a tube amplifier?
Apple TV (hdmi out) -> HDMI Splitter*(?) -> Denon (rca out) -> Power amp -> Speaker Switch -> Speakers
....................................................................................-> Tube Amplifier -------------------> Speaker Switch -> Speakers

*: by hdmi splitter I think of some device which would have 1 hdmi (4k) input and 1 hdmi (4k) output + separate audio output (not sure this exist). So the separate audio output would go to the tube amplifier.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If your Denon X6700 is already driving the pair of speakers.
What do you expect this tube amplifier (tube headphone amplifier?) to do for your setup?

OP
B

bplatypus

If your Denon X6700 is already driving the pair of speakers.
What do you expect this tube amplifier (tube headphone amplifier?) to do for your setup?

Would use it to listen to music (the Denon would not be used when the tube amp is driving the speakers)

OP
B

bplatypus

Not even sure I can use my Denon as a DAC at the end... I would need to use the rca out and then select L/R bypass as settings.

Anyway I would need to either plug the rca out to my power amp or to the tube amp, and also switch the speaker cables from my power amp to the tube amp... not so easy.

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
964EE8F8-58A2-4D5C-B3C2-72FA75B89281.jpeg

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
I use a Simaudio Celeste 4070 power amp for the front two channels in my Marantz based home theatre system. I thought about using this device above but decided to use the Simaudio amp for the front Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 speakers all the time. The separate power amp is just that much better at driving the difficult load of my speakers. And the SR7005 just shuts down at higher volumes after a few minutes of listening. I know that all well measuring amplifiers are supposed to sound the same but they just don’t. Bass was weak and tubby using the AVR front amps. This Sim amp has a huge transformer and beefy power supply and it just simply is better. And I call myself and objectivist and believe in measurements. But there is a synergy between speakers and amplifiers that needs to be better understood. A Difficult impedance curve on a speaker may not suit certain amplifiers and their ability to deliver current.
You want your tube amplifier for some colouration you like for two channel listening. I get it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not just use the tube amp all the time for the mains if you prefer the "sound" it has?

OP
B

bplatypus

it's exactly a device like this which I ordered, but the setup will be a bit more complex. My denon x6700 is not able to nicely handle my 4ohm speakers (92db efficiency), so I also ordered an Hypex 250 (with the advantage that the hypex can be triggered from the Denon, what my tube-amp cannot).

So at the end I will use the RCA pre-outs of the Denon to a RCA switch, which will select the external amp to use (hypex or tube) and then from the hypex & tube I go in the speaker switch.

My only fear now is that I will hear a drop in sound quality due to all those in-the-middle elements/devices.

OP
B

bplatypus

Why not just use the tube amp all the time for the mains if you prefer the "sound" it has?

I thought about it but when I see the price of tube replacement :eek:. I'm working 80% home-office... I even use my Denon amplifier as alarm clock in the morning and then it basically runs all-day-long (~12-14 hours a day....), I mute it when I have online-meetings. So I would have to change my tubes quite often I think. And during the day I don't really 'listen' to music, it's background-music... so would be a shame to use my tube for that!

OP
B

bplatypus

Bass was weak and tubby using the AVR front amps.

on my side I have 'boomyness' issues... still trying to fix this but on some songs the basses are just beautiful, well defined and harmonious but on some others, they're just BOOM BOOM BOOM

sngreen

Hi!

I wanted to know if it's possible to have 2 amplifiers with only 1 pair of speakers?

I would like to have a tube amplifier to listen to music alongside with my AVR (Denon x6700).

My current setup is:
Apple TV/Shield (hdmi out) -> Denon (rca out) -> Power amp -> Speakers

How could I integrate a tube amplifier?
Apple TV (hdmi out) -> HDMI Splitter*(?) -> Denon (rca out) -> Power amp -> Speaker Switch -> Speakers
....................................................................................-> Tube Amplifier -------------------> Speaker Switch -> Speakers

*: by hdmi splitter I think of some device which would have 1 hdmi (4k) input and 1 hdmi (4k) output + separate audio output (not sure this exist). So the separate audio output would go to the tube amplifier.
You have to be careful not to connect them simaltaneusly, as you can easily damage your amps that way.
When you find the switch be sure it has the middle position, when none of the speakers are connected.
Else, there is a way.
I know someone using Dynavox (for TV and music), they are happy with it.

or the one mentione upthread; Solupeak - looks quite fine.

OP
B

bplatypus

You have to be careful not to connect them simaltaneusly, as you can easily damage your amps that way.
When you find the switch be sure it has the middle position, when none of the speakers are connected.
Else, there is a way.
I know someone using Dynavox (for TV and music), they are happy with it.

or the one mentione upthread; Solupeak - looks quite fine.

I took this one: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/sour...le-for-speaker-amplifier-black-l-p-13231.html

But I don't quite get your remark. I read that it's very important to make sure speakers are connected to the tube amp when we power it ON and then don't switch when the tube amp is ON.

As I said my idea is to have the switches almost always with following selection: Denon -> Hypex -> Speakers. Then when I want to use my tube amp, I would carefully switch it on by making sure the speakers are connected to it.

My Denon could not get damaged, nor the Hypex no? Or did I miss something?

sngreen

I took this one: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/sour...le-for-speaker-amplifier-black-l-p-13231.html

But I don't quite get your remark. I read that it's very important to make sure speakers are connected to the tube amp when we power it ON and then don't switch when the tube amp is ON.

As I said my idea is to have the switches almost always with following selection: Denon -> Hypex -> Speakers. Then when I want to use my tube amp, I would carefully switch it on by making sure the speakers are connected to it.

My Denon could not get damaged, nor the Hypex no? Or did I miss something?

Ah, this is a VERY good point, I completely forgot about it. It is not recommended to have tube amp on without speakers connected to it. As a matter of fact not only tube amps, but most ss do not mind it.

So no, in your case it is either to buy a new set of speakers or reconnect them manually, and only when the tube amp is off. Reconnecting manually meaning reaching out (each time you do it) to either behind the speakers or behind your amplifiers. Get a sound-bar :).

I was in the same position as you are, so I got another set of speakers. One set for the movies; 2 front, 2 subs, 2 in the back and 1 in the center. The other is for music only, just a pair. Everything works and I do not need to touch anything.

270097852_4967965366548025_2831794659581307357_n.jpg

OP
B

bplatypus

Ah, this is a VERY good point, I completely forgot about it. It is not recommended to have tube amp on without speakers connected to it. As a matter of fact not only tube amps, but most ss do not mind it.

So no, in your case it is either to buy a new set of speakers or reconnect them manually, and only when the tube amp is off. Reconnecting manually meaning reaching out (each time you do it) to either behind the speakers or behind your amplifiers. Get a sound-bar :).

I was in the same position as you are, so I got another set of speakers. One set for the movies; 2 front, 2 subs, 2 in the back and 1 in the center. The other is for music only, just a pair. Everything works and I do not need to touch anything.

View attachment 232479

But with my double switch setup, it should also work! I don't want (and do not have the space) to have 4 front speakers present.

I just have to be careful to not power-ON the tube amp without having the speakers switched on it. The hypex should be ok if no speakers connected.

sngreen

But with my double switch setup, it should also work! I don't want (and do not have the space) to have 4 front speakers present.

I just have to be careful to not power-ON the tube amp without having the speakers switched on it. The hypex should be ok if no speakers connected.
That's the thing about being careful, we never are. :)

Top Bottom