• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey's Next Generation of Room Correction (MultEQ-X)

Are you a current Denon/Marantz AVR Owner and if so what do you think of Audyssey's MultEQ-X?

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable. I've already purchased it.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable. I’m willing to spend the money once I learn more.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is too high. Anything lower is better.

• I'm not a current Denon/Marantz AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable.

• I'm not a current Denon/Marantz AVR owner. $200 price is too high. Anything lower lower is better.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable, but I don't like the restrictive terms. Wont buy.

• I'm not an owner. $200 price is acceptable, but I don't like the restrictive terms. Wont buy.

• Other (please explain).

Results are only viewable after voting.

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm having a blast with it. For this measurement, I had one of my subs off on the left measurement. They overlap (and would if I remeasured) but I was able to get this super flattened with a .7 dB/oct target curve.

The key for me was to measure L+R with MQX, exlude the measurements, make sure no target curve is applied, run the REW measurements against the no-target-curve measurement, then import the target curves to put to the AVR. you'll get exactly what's shown on REW.

flat-response-jpg.3388367

pmar4015

Last edited:

montyliam

Montyliam, I highly suspect you have a misalignment between mains and subs. Try adjusting the subwoofer distance in the AVR to achieve cohesion between the two. You can use either the Alignment tool in REW or the approach as per attached..

Im pretty sure that’s what it is too, the crossover frequency is also 120hz, right at the centre of the dip!

chych7

Just bought it to use on my Denon X440H AVR, sucks that it isn't transferrable, but I'm using the AVR only as a pre amplifier anyway to a fully active Genelec system, so I can't see myself upgrading the AVR any time soon. I had a quick go at the L/R and subwoofer using a combination of REW and MultEQ, and this is what I got, really pleased with the result. Also like that any changes to Audyessy can be quickly implemented from the laptop. Hopefully with some work can get rid of that dip around 120hz.
The 120 Hz may be a null due to SBIR. No amount of EQ is going to fix that. Some absorption panels around the speaker may help.

Your response is also flat, which is desired in anechoic or nearfield conditions, but not necessarily in far field. Typical preferred target curves have a downward slope, and also some bass boost. Just something to keep in mind; smooth of course is desired, but flat isn’t necessarily the best sounding target.

pmar4015

The 120 Hz may be a null due to SBIR. No amount of EQ is going to fix that. Some absorption panels around the speaker may help.

Your response is also flat, which is desired in anechoic or nearfield conditions, but not necessarily in far field. Typical preferred target curves have a downward slope, and also some bass boost. Just something to keep in mind; smooth of course is desired, but flat isn’t necessarily the best sounding target.
No question a target curve is critical (unless montyliam belongs to the .001% of the world’s population that actually prefers a flat response!)

montyliam

This was just a very quick EQ run of the software, I plan on adding a house curve!

GalZohar

It's very easy to check if dip is due to acoustics or due to sub/main alignment - Just measure each separately. If the dip is still there, then it's from acoustics and you can't fix it. If it disappears then it's due to sub/main alignment and you should adjust the subwoofer distance, as suggested, to get best possible summation between mains and subwoofers. Audyssey default subwoofer distance will often provide sub-optimal results in that aspect.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's very easy to check if dip is due to acoustics or due to sub/main alignment - Just measure each separately. If the dip is still there, then it's from acoustics and you can't fix it. If it disappears then it's due to sub/main alignment and you should adjust the subwoofer distance, as suggested, to get best possible summation between mains and subwoofers. Audyssey default subwoofer distance will often provide sub-optimal results in that aspect.

By my own experience though, such dips were rarely due to alignment, but I agree it can be, and is easy enough to check by measurements. It can be reduced significantly by brute force but that may sacrifice too much head room in some cases.

montyliam

With MultEQ-X, is there anyway to disable the filters Audyessy calibrates and just use manual filters generated from REW, I can't figure out how to configure it do this?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
With MultEQ-X, is there anyway to disable the filters Audyessy calibrates and just use manual filters generated from REW, I can't figure out how to configure it do this?
Yes you can import Biquad filters from REW into MultiEQX. I did it some 6 months ago when the feature came out and to test it. But can’t remember the exact process. One essentially adjusts the MultiEQX target curve with the filters. It sounds a bit backwards but it works. I didn’t use it in the end as Audyssey automatic results did give me good results. The manual should give a hint.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
MultEQ-X

(was hoping for something easier to roll off the tongue)

Sounds fine in Juǀʼhoan ;)

(Seriously, who keeps coming up with these alphabet soup names?)

Newman

Major Contributor
“Multiquex”

chych7

Yes you can import Biquad filters from REW into MultiEQX. I did it some 6 months ago when the feature came out and to test it. But can’t remember the exact process. One essentially adjusts the MultiEQX target curve with the filters. It sounds a bit backwards but it works. I didn’t use it in the end as Audyssey automatic results did give me good results. The manual should give a hint.
I made a simple video here to show one way to do it: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...f-room-correction-multeq-x.28178/post-1346740

But as to the original question, I don't think you can disable the base Audyssey corrections and still use REW filters. The REW corrections would be "on top" of them. In the end, it shouldn't matter if it's REW-only or REW + Audyssey base corrections, the end result should be the same.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I made a simple video here to show one way to do it: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...f-room-correction-multeq-x.28178/post-1346740

But as to the original question, I don't think you can disable the base Audyssey corrections and still use REW filters. The REW corrections would be "on top" of them. In the end, it shouldn't matter if it's REW-only or REW + Audyssey base corrections, the end result should be the same.
Yeah as I wrote the approach is a bit backwards. I understood that the imported REW filters create an Audyssey target curve and from there Audyssey derives its internal filters. I might be wrong though and I didn’t bother at the time, as it just worked as far as could confirm with REW.

Newman

Major Contributor
@chych7 I’m blocked from saving your video to my playlists on YouTube, it makes some reference to YouTube for Kids?

montyliam

This was what I wanted to ask but worded it badly, whether REW only without Auydessy is an option, seems not.

Heres what I've got today. The 130hz dip seems related to room acoustics and not alignment, so not much I can do about it. The dip on all of the LCR channels at 500hz may be because I'm sat very close to the rear wall, there is 50mm rockwool right behind but I may change this out for something thicker and see what it does! Still some work to do on the C channel also.

The LCR are Genelec 8030'cs and the sub is from BK electronics. There is quite a bit of EQ above the room transition frequency, although not very agressive, however I believe I've read that its ok to EQ above the transition frequency if you're speakers exhibit good controlled directivity behaviour, which mine do. There is also absorption for the LR reflection points on the side walls and ceiling, and absorption on the ceiling for the 1st reflection point of the C channel too, as well as the absorption behind the MLP.

Listening to a few Blu-rays I'm very happy so far, the import filters feature from REW is very useful, although everytime I imported the filters the gains of each filter were not imported with them so I had to enter that data manually, not sure what went wrong there!

Attachments

• sub lr.jpg
    sub lr.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 53
  • sub.jpg
    sub.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 50
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 50
  • LR.jpg
    LR.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 49

wheresmymoney

I could very well be wrong, but I thought I read you could simply "exclude" the measurement position, and then load REW filters and it would exclude Audyssey from doing it's own thing and stick to the REW import only.

montyliam

I could very well be wrong, but I thought I read you could simply "exclude" the measurement position, and then load REW filters and it would exclude Audyssey from doing it's own thing and stick to the REW import only.
Id be interested to know if this is the case!

Top Bottom