• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey's Next Generation of Room Correction (MultEQ-X)

Are you a current Denon/Marantz AVR Owner and if so what do you think of Audyssey's MultEQ-X?

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable. I've already purchased it.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable. I’m willing to spend the money once I learn more.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is too high. Anything lower is better.

• I'm not a current Denon/Marantz AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable.

• I'm not a current Denon/Marantz AVR owner. $200 price is too high. Anything lower lower is better.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable, but I don't like the restrictive terms. Wont buy.

• I'm not an owner. $200 price is acceptable, but I don't like the restrictive terms. Wont buy.

• Other (please explain).

Results are only viewable after voting.

pmar4015

I could very well be wrong, but I thought I read you could simply "exclude" the measurement position, and then load REW filters and it would exclude Audyssey from doing it's own thing and stick to the REW import only.
this is what Jeff at Audyssey indicated was possible in the following video: (see time stamp 1:24:44)

wheresmymoney

this is what Jeff at Audyssey indicated was possible in the following video: (see time stamp 1:24:44)
That sounds like what I was thinking. I can't find the source I was thinking of, but this video covers it. I just suffered through the Joe'n'Tell video because I thought I might have seen it there, but didn't find it there, either. Although, it sounds like he was basically doing the same; excluding the Audyssey RC suggestions, and just using manual PEQ's. Probably worth mentioning these videos were done pre-REW import feature, but I'd imagine it work the same(?).

disclaimer: still haven't actually registered MultEQ-X; just doing the slow march to an eventual purchase while I whine and complain about licensing terms along the way

pmar4015

There are certain features in respect to their implementation I find truly baffling in terms of choices Audyssey made but how much of that is an issue of Audyssey vs limitations on the part of D&M one will never know.

In any event, at the end of the day I am glad I spent the $200. My biggest fear is that Audyssey loses steam in terms of continued innovation (i.e. continued refinement of existing features/addition of new features). As many other people have speculated, do we now live in a world where Dirac is soon to be the one and only ‘real’ choice (i.e. 800 lb gorilla) in terms of mainstream AVRs……I guess we will have to wait and see

wheresmymoney

With Jeff Clark gone and Masimo adding Dirac, it is worrying.
Oh wow, he went to Meta? Just searched and saw it. Looks like Audyssey is a pretty small outfit; a loss of someone in his role at a company this size is a probably a huge blow.

Agree with the worrying part. Wonder if Jeff was worried, too.

montyliam

Some more playing today, this is with measurments from Auydessy excluded and done through REW and MultEQx only, much happier with the result. May knock down the little peak at 2-300hz on the LR.

Attachments

• Sub waterfall.jpg
    Sub waterfall.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Center Waterfall.jpg
    Center Waterfall.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 60
  • LR Waterfall.jpg
    LR Waterfall.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 71
  • SUB CENTER.jpg
    SUB CENTER.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 79
  • sub lr.jpg
    sub lr.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Center.jpg
    Center.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 75
  • sub.jpg
    sub.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 69
  • LR.jpg
    LR.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 79

montyliam

Also, I've been reading lots of mixed opinions about whether to EQ the LR channels together or separately. My room is fairly symmetrical, and the LR show pretty much the same response independently, so I'm thinking its better just to EQ them together?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Also, I've been reading lots of mixed opinions about whether to EQ the LR channels together or separately. My room is fairly symmetrical, and the LR show pretty much the same response independently, so I'm thinking its better just to EQ them together?
Audyssey measures each channel separately when it does its thing. So not sure what you mean.

Once Audyssey is done and you want to confirm the results independently by REW sure you can measure with all speakers playing.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

I can't think of a reason why anyone would want to EQ them together. I always EQ each channel individually.

montyliam

I can't think of a reason why anyone would want to EQ them together. I always EQ each channel individually.
I can get them looking good individually, but after EQ'ing both individually, the combined response of them both together is never flat, is this normal?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I can get them looking good individually, but after EQ'ing both individually, the combined response of them both together is never flat, is this normal?
Yes. It usually takes 2 or 3 iterations to get it just right. You are EQing a combination of direct sound and reflections and related phase shifts, so some experimentation is required.

montyliam

I had a quick go of doing them individually, the black line is EQ together, the blue line is individual. They both look pretty much the same to me?

Attachments

• L r indiv.jpg
    L r indiv.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 47

montyliam

Briefly listening to the EQ both vs individual, I can hear the image is slightly more focused in the center with individual EQ on the speakers.

Current setup - Genelec 8030'c (LCR), *pending* Genelec 8020d (Surrounds), DIY B&C sub, Denon AVR4400H

Attachments

• IMG_7815.jpeg
    IMG_7815.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7779.JPEG
    IMG_7779.JPEG
    335.2 KB · Views: 62

pmar4015

CAlso, I've been reading lots of mixed opinions about whether to EQ the LR channels together or separately. My room is fairly symmetrical, and the LR show pretty much the same response independently, so I'm thinking it’s better just to EQ them together?
Have you tried using Frequency Dependent Windowing (FDW) in REW? I have a very rudimentary understanding of the FDW feature but I have heard it helps in avoiding correction of ‘reflections” thus allowing the user to only correct for the ‘direct’ sound signals (which is I believe generally preferred)

montyliam

Have you tried using Frequency Dependent Windowing (FDW) in REW? I have a very rudimentary understanding of the FDW feature but I have heard it helps in avoiding correction of ‘reflections” thus allowing the user to only correct for the ‘direct’ sound signals (which is I believe generally preferred)
I haven't, but most of the EQ I applied was below 1k. I used a total of 7 PEQ filters for L/R and 6 for Center channel. The first reflection points for LCR are treated side and ceiling, as well as absorption behind me.

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With MultEQ-X, is there anyway to disable the filters Audyessy calibrates and just use manual filters generated from REW, I can't figure out how to configure it do this?
Yeah, it’s the way I do it. I got fantastic results using REW.

How I did it was:
1) run MQX with the Audyssey mic
2) remove all of the filters on my LR
3) move that calibration over to the AVR (save as originalMeasurment)
4) take measurements with MultiEQ on with the recently uploaded preset in REW (if you use DEQ then leave that on)
5) flatten curve to taste in REW and export the EQ
6) open MQX and the originalMeasurment file , exclude the LR channels (all measurement positions
7) import the Left and Right REW files (you may have to click Individual measurements)

Now when you measure in REW you’ll get almost the exact predicted results.

So the key is having to measure with the MultiEQ (and possibly DEQ) on then modify that. It’s confusing but it works very well

Top Bottom